OpenGL and S3TC texture-using with a Geforce2MX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Delphi-the-Dolphin

Jun 13, 2001
Germany
Visit site
Hello, I have a "problem", I have the Geforce2MX and if I install UT, I can chose only between "Direct3D" and "Software Renderer"
both works, but it looks not good, also D3D not. If I click on the radio-button to list all methods I can also chose OpenGL and S3...
Now there's the "problem":

OpenGL looks really good (somehow better as with the S3TC textures) but it's really dark, so dark that I can't see the Enforcer in "Facing Worlds", and I also can't change the light with "F10" like in D3D. 1. Question: Why is that and how I canchange it?

And if I chose the S3TC technique it looks ok, but not so good like openGL and also it's slower as OpenGL, is that normal? I had think that a gefroce2MX is fast enough to decompress the S3TC textures and display it without a lower framerate. 2. Question What can I do that the S3-textures look better as the normal textures under OpenGL? have I do something wrong in the settings(no, I have installed anything from the 2nd CD-ROM :} )?
And how I can speed it up? it looks that I have less as 28fps with the S3TC textures. :{

here is my config:

AMD Athlon 1000MHz
192 MB PC133 RAM
(Gigabyte) nVidia GeForce2MX
windows-desktop: 1024x768/16bit
in-game(I have try a few settings): 1024x768/16bit
1024x768/32bit
Windows 98 SE

It would be happy if somebody could help me! :}

phiny greetings, Delphi :}

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
1.)
It's Sunday and the forums are always kinda empty on such days. Just have some patients
2.)
I have a GF DDR, and D3D look fine here. However I get graphics glitches in OpenGL. The GF DDR is bit faster then the MX, and I got lousy framrates under S3TC too. You really need a GF2 GTS to excell with S3TC
Did you use Vogel's OpenGL driver or standard OpenGL?

You can change the gamma in the options menu

Delphi-the-Dolphin

Jun 13, 2001
Germany
Visit site
Originally posted by 8-4-7-2

Did you use Vogel's OpenGL driver or standard OpenGL?

You can change the gamma in the options menu

Hello, I have use nothing speacial... the standard-drive, can you tell me wich OpenGL-driver you mean?

I have turn the Gamma full on but it's still dark... :|

phiny Greetings, Delphi

Ruin

Jul 6, 2001
Visit site
Try installing the newest drivers for your video card from NVidia.
12.41 i think it is, that will probably fix it.

Ruin

Hatecrime69

Novice
Jan 30, 2000
Visit site
the performance decrease when useing the compressed textures is because, even though the textures are compressed (thus a larger file size for each texture) they end up still being larger than the normal textures. If the textures were not compressed it would kill performance in any system (even the fastest cpu and gf3) because the textures from the hd to the vid card would get bottlenecked many times. Like a jpg, the larger resloution, the larger the file. Just imagine at least half of the textures close to the 2048*2048 size (or over?) trying to make it's way from your hd to your vid card