lol is english

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I saw this a few days ago. Call me conservative but that's just an embarrassment. Imagine what English professors in a couple centuries will think when they look back to our generation and see that we had few new words to offer besides "♥", LOL and OMG. :( Information Age? Pffft, more like the self-absorbed facebook era.

/rant

lovebug

Dec 26, 2009
OK <= Guess the origin of this one.

Seems to stem from the 1800s and there are multiple theories as to where it 'originally' started....as it shows here:
http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/okay.htm

but according to 'wisegeek.com'
We have precise written information regarding the origins of OK. It dates from the 1840 Presidential run of Martin Van Buren. The OK club supported him. OK was an abbreviation of Old Kinderhook. Kinderhook, New York was where many of the OK club members were from, thus the word has a double meaning. OK soon became handy as a simple means for stating agreement.

But who really cares??!!

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
. :( Information Age? Pffft, more like the self-absorbed facebook era.

How on earth does a word which is meant to be an identifier of tone somehow reflect people being self-absorbed?

Seriously, people, language is a natural process of evolution, with words getting made up ALL the time and being integrated into the lexicon. Chill the **** out, oh arbiters of preservation and realize that language adapts to the needs of society and to insist on some ridiculous concept of purity is to life with your head up your ass (though I will grant that this explains the majority of the political threads).

~Jason

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
How on earth does a word which is meant to be an identifier of tone somehow reflect people being self-absorbed?
Because it has been cultured and popularized by world of social networking and I think that describes the frequent users of said websites. Are you really going to tell me that the majority of the comments you find on social sites aren't the worst and most trivial diarrhea to find on the internet?

Seriously, people, language is a natural process of evolution, with words getting made up ALL the time and being integrated into the lexicon. Chill the **** out, oh arbiters of preservation and realize that language adapts to the needs of society and to insist on some ridiculous concept of purity is to life with your head up your ass (though I will grant that this explains the majority of the political threads).

~Jason
So, you're perfectly okay with one of your students handing in a paper using OMG/LOL/♥, as long as they're used correctly and proficiently? I can't even imagine where I want to use that unless discussing this very topic. They're much better ways to describe that feeling when you type out "lol" (and you're not even laughing), it's just quicker and easier to most people.

1day we all b typing liek dis cuz every1 on da interbutts b doin it. nething else wuld b intolerance & fundamentalism kk ^_^
**** evolvs yo, git used 2 it

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Are you really going to tell me that the majority of the comments you find on social sites aren't the worst and most trivial diarrhea to find on the internet?
"LOL" has nothing to do with why people make the kind of comments you are referring to.
So, you're perfectly okay with one of your students handing in a paper using OMG/LOL/♥, as long as they're used correctly and proficiently?
I'm pretty sure he didn't say that.

just because stuff like LOL are added to the dictionary doesn't mean they will be ok to use for professional writing.
I think you're reading way too far into this.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
just because stuff like LOL are added to the dictionary doesn't mean they will be ok to use for professional writing.
How many words do you know in the dictionary that aren't?
I'll admit when thinking about it more, it's acceptable in the sense that it's documenting modern slang. But, nobody in their right mind would use it for anything besides something like dialog is what I'm getting at.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
How many words do you know in the dictionary that aren't?
I'll admit when thinking about it more, it's acceptable in the sense that it's documenting modern slang. But, nobody in their right mind would use it for anything besides something like dialog is what I'm getting at.
the dictionary is not a guideline for proper writing technique.
it's merely a repository for words and/or phrases that have become an accepted part of our vocabulary.

students are not going to suddenly start handing in papers full of "LOL." if they do, it's going to be given an F or the teacher is going to tell then to rewrite it. likewise, you're not going to see "OMG" start popping up in court room transcripts or business documents.

its perfectly acceptable to put popular slang in the dictionary. they've been doing it for hundreds of years and it doesn't affect proper writing style.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
That's the point, it's evolving. Not getting better or worse just changing.
I would disagree. However, I'm not going there because I know it's controversial or even plain stupid to think otherwise by some people I'm sure.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I'm not going there because...
you're not going there because you don't have an argument.
at least not a good one.

language is fluent. it always has been, it always will be.
it changes with the times in order to reflect the way people communicate. it has less to do with what is "proper" and more to do with colloquilaism. just because people might speak a certain way in their private conversations doesn't mean that it is acceptable to write or speak that way in a "professional" setting.

the fact that LOL is in the dictionary changes nothing about what is acceptable for proper diction. it only means that LOL is in the dictionary. nothing more, nothing less.
your fears are unfounded and your rant is dumb.