A Game of Thrones

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I read about some people comparing him to Tolkien, is that really on that level?

Most authors of today agree he's the best of modern day fantasy.

Just as Tolkien inspired the genre of his time, many of today's fantasy authors credit Martin as a source of inspiration.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I just realized the guy ****ing the queen is her brother...

That's hot. :mwink:
Still an asshole though.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Yeah, I still need to learn a lot of the names. I think I understand most of the relations now though, especially as my brother, who has read the books, explained a little bit of the background. There's a lot of people though. Great show, I have really enjoyed both episodes.

Sindarin

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 15, 2004
1303779551267.gif

:D

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Thanks Sindarin, I can watch that scene over and over again. That prince is the most easily hated character on a show I've ever seen.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I finally got around to watching the pilot episode, and I probably won't watch anymore. While the plot coverage is good, there is too much focus on stuff outside of the plot (people being naked, people being with naked people, people butt raping each other, did I mention there are naked people?) I also thought several of the beheadings were overdramatized and the swearing just felt gratuitous unlike in the books.

For me, it's a 4/10.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I finally got around to watching the pilot episode, and I probably won't watch anymore. While the plot coverage is good, there is too much focus on stuff outside of the plot (people being naked, people being with naked people, people butt raping each other, did I mention there are naked people?) I also thought several of the beheadings were overdramatized and the swearing just felt gratuitous unlike in the books.

For me, it's a 4/10.

You're silly.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
ok we're like 4 episodes in so I guess I'll add my .02 ¢
for the record; I haven't read the books.

honestly I wouldn't want to know what happens before it happens on screen. plus I've talked to people who are big on this George RR Martin guy, and they say that his writing is TOTALLY unpredictable. they say he kills off seemingly "important" characters at will, almost no one is safe. not even children. which is cool. I like the realism and suspense that brings.
so I'm glad I haven't read the books, I want the surprise.

I'm definitely a fan so far.
Game of Thrones is easily the best drama on television this year. The Borgia's cannot compete. now I don't mind the nudity and spontaneous sex scenes; that's to be expected with this kind of programming... even if it is a little over the top or overused. I'm not really complaining. but to be fair, it's the use of swearing that stands out to me more than anything.

I'm actually more bothered by that then the obligatory sex. in the case of fiction such as this, the blatant use of English cuss words actually seems out of place. it's the one aspect of this entire production that feels cheap. if anything, when the King starts swearing it only makes him appear less powerful. it doesn't really fit with everything else, I dunno.

like I said, I didn't read the books, but someone has to answer me this: did Mr. Martin really construct such terrible dialogue?

from the first episode where the King is reminiscing with Sean Bean's character about their past said:
"All I wanted to do was fight and fück girls!"

really?
see that just takes me out of the fiction. it snaps me out of what was otherwise a very immersive scene. it just seems unnecessary.

aside from these little complaints the show is great. I like that we are mixing fantasy with medieval without going so far as to have wizards and lightning sticks. I can't wait to see what happens with these dragon eggs. hopefully all this raunchy interracial sex between the fragile white girl and the crazy guy with the pony tail results in these eggs hatching or something. I also want to see more of the world outside of the castle walls. everyone talks about this dark, looming, infamous place on the other side of the wall. meanwhile the Queen is backstabbing and cheating her way to some mysterious end. the Bastard is sent off to prove himself. the Dwarf is a drunken womanizer with razor sharp wit. Sean Bean shoulders the burden of an immense internal struggle on the brink of war.

two thumbs up.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
...but to be fair, it's the use of swearing that stands out to me more than anything.

Like I said...the show is mild in comparison to the books. The female "C" word is used liberally, for example.

The 4 four episodes are really just setting the stage for the rest of the saga. The remainder of the season should be awesome, and, if it holds true to the books, season 2 will far surpass season 1.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
One more word on the swearing...all the modern high fantasy of this type that I've read is full of very vulgar language - Mart, Joe Abercrombie, and John Lynch, just to name a few.

It might be a departure from traditional fantasy, but it seems to be the direction this new style is going.