Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Screenshots

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Looks great!
A little low poly perhaps in some places, but then again there's a lot of rubble everywhere.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
What's so exceptional about these shots then? It looks like what we are used to see from either tech-ed up UE2 or basic UE3 work.

HedgeMaster

May 3, 2009
Ooh, shiny!

UE3 may not render the most realistic graphics in the world, but can still provide artworks of highest quality. Looks great for me.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
I really like the two screenshots with the Russians behind sandbags. The others show made well sceneries too, don't get me wrong, but they give off a certain "unreal" vibe that doesn't really fit. *scratches chin*

They should really make helmets cast shadows on faces though!:)
Self-shadowing made the characters in Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway look very good. In conditions with diffuse lighting and no clear shadows RO can easily keep up, imo but when there is strong lighting and there should be shadows it falls behind. Like in the shot with the tank and the two Russian soldiers.
EDIT: I'm an ass. I looked at the screenshots some more and the characters already cast shadows on themselves. And it looks very good too. What's wrong in the tank screenshot is that there is another light-source in front of the soldiers and it eliminates the effect. Maybe they just wanted to show off the models a little clearer. I don't know.:)

Last edited:

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
What's so exceptional about these shots then? It looks like what we are used to see from either tech-ed up UE2 or basic UE3 work.

I dont mean the shots in the first place although I like them. This game is all about realism. No cross hairs (only notch and bead), no HUD for ammo (you really have to look at your weapon for some seconds to count how much ammo is left), no minimap in a conventional way (the game will support surround-sound so you can locate enemies), if you drive a tank you have to control it in a much more realistic way (you are more part of the tank not the tank "itself" like in many other games), ultra ballistic weapons (e.g. optical distorsion of the sniper rifle scope will be calculated).

This game is absolutely no mainstream. The team around Tripfire has produced the conventional „Killing Floor“ that was sold on Steam quit good mainly to finance this project. This game is all about enthusiasm. Sure, a lot of people dont care about this. I like it :)

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I don't like realism when it interferes with making the game fun to play. I know there are people that like hardcore realism, I'm just not one of them.

Why I don't like realism games
-Frendly fire sucks. Not because of the realism really, but because of the greifers who team kill on purpose.
-Realism usually equates to difficult controls. Some "realistic" games are more difficult to operate than the weapons and devices would be in real life..
-Generally, I sit at a computer or pick up a controller to avoid reality, not search for it.

I played the first RO, and it was OK, but unsuprisingly, the control was clunky and it was just difficult to play in general. I do enjoy some semi-realistic games that have some realistic elements but make concessions for better gameplay. After all, it's a "game" and I want to "play" it.

Last edited:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
-Generally, I sit at a computer or pick up a controller to avoid reality, not search for it.
It's not like the game just throws real-life at you and makes you file **** and confronts you with boring co-workers at a water-cooler. Maiming Russian/German invaders and driving tanks through houses isn't your reality - even if your game-character can't bunny-hop or your weapon kills with a single shot.

I respect your right to dislike the game, btw. It's just that I read this particular point a bunch of times now (from other people) and it's always bugged me.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Maybe a better way to put it for you is I consider gaming to be my escape. I want to do things are unrealistic, I want to explore things that would never be possible or would never happen in real life. I don't really feel like I'm escaping reality if I'm "playing" a game that's just like reality. This is also why I generally don't like sports games either, unless they're the over-the-top, arcade-y sort.

I'm sure it's a perfectly good game if it's the type of game you want to play. It's simply not the type of game I want to play.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
I looked at the screenshots some more and the characters already cast shadows on themselves. And it looks very good too. What's wrong in the tank screenshot is that there is another light-source in front of the soldiers and it eliminates the effect. Maybe they just wanted to show off the models a little clearer. I don't know.:)

Snow reflects a lot of light (since it's white) so I guess it's just the light from the ground bouncing back up - in combination with apmospheric light eliminating any hard self-shadowing.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Why I don't like realism games
-Frendly fire sucks. Not because of the realism really, but because of the greifers who team kill on purpose.

You will find that most servers in RO or Darkest Hour ban griefers the instant they go on a rampage. And because there are only so many filled servers right now in DH, most people do not want to be banned.

One thing RO does right though is crouching by objects. If you are in behind some sandbags that are about the same height as your current gun location your character will mount for greater accuracy, applying the standard that better positioning > reaction time.

Last edited:

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
Komplaintham sounds like you have a severe case of DavidMitis! Do you like anything here on BUF?! Shots look good, really like the lighting!

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Komplaintham sounds like you have a severe case of DavidMitis! Do you like anything here on BUF?! Shots look good, really like the lighting!

I wonder if they are using Lightmass, or their own lighting system?

Details say it's an enhanced version of UE3, but I don't know which version they built on.
The lighting looks similar in quality to Gears 3, which is probably the prettiest lighting I've seen in a game yet (of course, that game is using Lightmass)

Last edited: