[Music] The big ones...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Clapton tho? :/ He's great, but I'd take Page or Hendrix over him any day.
Jimmy is definitely in the top 5.
Jimi is definitely in the top 10.

but at the end of the day, both of them generally adhere to a more narrow range of style and technique. so you can only listen to Hendrix and Zeppelin for so long before it all starts to sound the same. those driving psychedelic solos are great, but they're very egotistical and run together after awhile. I mean I get it, you can play the guitar well, let's hear some diversity.
also, neither of them is a very good singer.

Clapton however, is the most technically gifted all-around guitar player. others can be considered experts in their genre; though he's a true virtuoso of the instrument, same with Stevie.
Clapton will do his own thing, but even then it's not all about him or showing off how fast he can scale the neck. oftentimes it's about the story he tells, how well he can sing, how smooth he can play alongside the accompanying instrumentation in the song. I've never heard anyone play so crisp while maintaining speed and technicality, whether solo or ensemble, live or in studio.

he'll often appear with other "legends" from various/related styles of music. and he can play any style of music better than the legend he's sharing the stage with.

/ 0.02

offramp

bOfframp=True
Apr 28, 2006
Cologne
Since i play jazz guitar, i'd have to mention Jim Hall, Pat Metheny and John Scofield here. Hall influenced the two others, so if it had to be just one, it'd be Jim Hall.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
If I was going to pick a band IMO as amazing all around I would say Jane's Addiction I fell in love with this band in the summer of 89 with the song Jane's Says. It's good song and the Nothing Shocking album is a good introduction to the band, but in 1990 thy released their masterpiece album Ritual de lo Habitual. On that album they there is a song called Three Days that is a song as far as rock goes in IMO hasn't been that epic since Stair Way To Heaven. I know that I am setting the expectations really high, but many magazines have made that same comparison. It's by far one of the best albums in the last 20 years, and Rolling Stone put it in it's top 500 of all time.

I posted live videos rather than the studio stuff as I think they are pretty amazing live and still are. I saw them live in NYC at Madison Square Garden in October of 2001 when people were still afraid to play the city because of 9/11. It was by far the most epic show of my life and thankfully I found a person that recorded it on DAT, so I have it on CD now. :)

Also, if you have never seen the video for Been Caught Stealing, you should check it out. Great video before videos had to be all flashy and when MTV still played music.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
Aerosmith+-+Big+Ones+(1994).jpg

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Hendrix
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Allman Brothers
Tom Petty (Saw him live this year in small venue with The Heartbreakers. Was epic.)
David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, and Neil Young (aka Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.)
Eric Clapton
Elton John / Billy Joel (Saw them live this year too. Another epic show.)
The Beatles

EDIT: Forgot The Eagles. This > *

Last edited:

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
only the greatest guitar player who ever lived alongside Eric Clapton.

Muhammed Suicmez. The entire album "The Onset of Putrefaction" was composed/performed/programmed (the drums) by him. Just go find some songs.

Oh and more on topic: Canvas Solaris are pure win in the progressive/experimental jazz/metal/whatever category.

Also,

Jimmy is definitely in the top 5.
Jimi is definitely in the top 10.
Clapton however, is the most technically gifted all-around guitar player. wut
he'll often appear with other "legends" from various/related styles of music. and he can play any style of music better than the legend he's sharing the stage with.

/ 0.02

Uh, you seem to be praising his compositional style more than his technical ability. Again, go look up the solo from Fermented Offal Discharge and you'll see a more "technically gifted guitar player." The compositional style is up for preference.

Last edited:

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Necrophagist is another example of technicallity proficient but soulless writing.

He made like 2 decent songs and those are all from his demo days.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Uh, you seem to be praising his compositional style more than his technical ability.
uh no.

I am praising his technical ability which far exceeds pretty much anyone I've ever heard. just because Clapton does not use a lot of "showy" techniques, doesn't mean he can't. go find some video of him jamming live, he can match and dominate almost any style of music he's playing even if it's not the kind he likes to play personally.

you're right, composition is up for preference.
ability is not. and Clapton has way more ability (most of which is natural, you can't learn it) than 99% of everyone who plays.