Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I need your help for a bit, guys.

My GF's been wanting a polaroid ( = instant) camera for quite a while now. Next month's her birthday and I was planning on buying her one.
There's truckloads of authentic polaroid camera's to be found on this Dutch eBay equivalent website and they're not even that expensive. Thing is, I have no idea what I'm looking for. Could anyone help me out a bit on certain specs I should pay attention to?

I don't exactly know what my GF's looking for in such a camera, all I know is that she really wants one. She does enjoy making macro's with her digicam though. :hmm:

You want to buy her an old SX-70. It's by far the best Polaroid camera our there and it's an SLR. There are tons of them out there for sale, but you might have to pay a little for one in decent shape, but it's totally worth it. Also, film is being made again, so you don't have to worry about it running out.

Some shots with mine:

The Woman of My Life And My Partner For Our Future by Jason_Combs, on Flickr

Are You Awake? by Jason_Combs, on Flickr

Summertime Refreshment by Jason_Combs, on Flickr

Hello Summer by Jason_Combs, on Flickr

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Not sure if this is the actual model number as it isn't on the camera, but searching "Polaroid P 600" bring it up wherever I search for it. So I'd be a 600 model. You can get them for around £10-20 on ebay second hand, but I'm not sure how hard it'll be to find a new one (my guess is pretty hard). I remember when I got mine new you could send off a piece of paper or something that came in the box with it and get 2 free packs of film - great deal

/edit: those boa shots are quite amazing IMO. Great feel to 'm.

Thanks! :)

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
These are geeses, dammit. Yes, I suck at photography, get over it already.

[screenshot]http://www.acliffhanger.com/images/geesez.jpg[/screenshot]

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
Wanted to try to make a panorama using clevr. Result from a northern Idaho sunset:

[screenshot]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/495/panoramaclevr.jpg[/screenshot]

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I have done some really amazing things with Photoshop's merging feature. One time I took 17 pictures, and Photoshop put it all together. The result was pretty damn impressive, almost looked like a fish-eye lens photo.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Yesterdays shoot. Part 2 orf 3. These wont be in order. I just edited them in order of awesomeness. We went around town to three different locations and spent about 9 hours making it happen. Wish I had some assistance for this one but everyone was busy.

This was taken in a river drainage pipe. One wireless flash at full power about 100 feet or so behind her. Natural light in front of her. Very high ISO so it ends up looking very gritty. Even so, its not bad for a ISO 3200 shot.

_MG_9911_2.jpg

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Yesterdays shoot. Part 2 orf 3. These wont be in order. I just edited them in order of awesomeness. We went around town to three different locations and spent about 9 hours making it happen. Wish I had some assistance for this one but everyone was busy.

This was taken in a river drainage pipe. One wireless flash at full power about 100 feet or so behind her. Natural light in front of her. Very high ISO so it ends up looking very gritty. Even so, its not bad for a ISO 3200 shot.

_MG_9911_2.jpg

Cool location for a shot. She scores extra points for standing in the water and ruining her shoes.

Do you use Photoshop CS5? The noise reduction in RAW now is pretty awesome.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Cool location for a shot. She scores extra points for standing in the water and ruining her shoes.

Do you use Photoshop CS5? The noise reduction in RAW now is pretty awesome.

I dunno if she ruined her shoes or not.. she was all to happy to jump in.

I am using CS5. The noise reduction is phenomenal for the 7d. It was the greatest selling point for me. What I didn't expect was the new camera calibration modes. I can actually get accurate colors and skin tones now. Images look so much better. Nikon users are also raving about it.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
julianat1600isojpg.jpg

Picture I took at 1600 ISO. Usually I'm really afraid of using such high ISO speeds, but this turned out surprisingly well. Of course, some amount of post processing went into it, but still.
This guy is really good looking btw. Not sure why he's going for a moustache or whatever, but he always looks very good in photos.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Wanted to try to make a panorama using clevr. Result from a northern Idaho sunset:

[screenshot]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/495/panoramaclevr.jpg[/screenshot]

Very nice! What lake is that exactly? I grew up in the Spokane area so chances are I've been there. :)

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Why do all of your friends insist on bum fluff?

He had just been in the US for a while, and for some reason he didn't shave. Seriously though, I've never seen him with "bum fluff" like that before. That other guy I posted a photo of, he thinks it's a fashion choice, but this guy I probably just caught at an unfortunate moment :p

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
julianat1600isojpg.jpg

Picture I took at 1600 ISO. Usually I'm really afraid of using such high ISO speeds, but this turned out surprisingly well. Of course, some amount of post processing went into it, but still.
This guy is really good looking btw. Not sure why he's going for a moustache or whatever, but he always looks very good in photos.

Dont be afraid! Better to have a correctly exposed photo with noise than to have an underexposed photo with all the detail in the shadows. BW conversions can be a saving grace so long as you don't rely on it every time.

Its a pretty good shot and you do have a nice model to work with. I think you can spice this shot up a bit more with some more processing. Its underexposed quite a bit. Bring those levels up!

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
hiressjulian.jpg

Trying to play around with the levels. I'm afraid to bring them up, because I think it brings out the noise, though when I downsample the image, the noise seems manageable. I like that it's a little more exposed now, though something is wrong with the colours. It's too red or something. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Rambowjo, the guy in that picture looks like a dead ringer for my younger brother. The resemblance is uncanny.

There appear to be some orange splotches on his forehead. There is a big splotch in the center of his forehead and the overall image does have a color imbalance. I desaturated the skin tones a bit and slightly altered the skin color codes by a few points to help diminish the splotching. Since this brought the overall reds and browns down a bit, I then reapplied individual color tone saturation by 25% and added a warm filter over the entire image. I left the noise pretty much where it is, as any reduction I tried did not work out well at all. Hope you didn't mind me taking a crack at this.

hiresjuliance2.jpg

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I like my latest version the most. It's easier on the eyes and less noisy. Your version is a little too bright I think and has an odd feeling to it, like really dry and cold. Moist photos are good :p

I'd give you the RAW file in case you wanted some more data to work with, but I'm not sure where to upload it.

edit: haha I just looked at his eyebrows. Cannot be unseen :D

Last edited: