Which Unreal Game is Best According to You?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Choose between the following

• Total voters

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Vote for the best game in the series.

Unreal if you like the game that started it all.
Unreal II because it's the best singleplayer game of them all.
Unreal Tournament since it's the origin of the ultimate arena shooter.
Unreal Tournament 2003 the evolved graphics
Unreal Tournament 2004 refined and returning to it's roots.
Unreal Tournament 3 massively beefed up graphics.
Unreal Tournament 4 because you look into the future for satisfaction.
Unreal Championship the first console exclusive version of the game.
Unreal Championship 2 the most melee focused game of them all.

Unreal Tournament 3 is the latest and it also need all the bias it can get.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Unreal, because of the awesome locations you visit, the atmosphere and immersion and the very interesting creature design. I don't care about Unreal gameplay and weapons, NaPali is what matters.

Unreal Tournament, I like the concept of future gladiator type blood sport, but not much the UT gameplay (I'd love a more semi realistic UT type of thing).
The weapons are freakish which makes sense since it is not a military war game, but a sport, the weapons serve the purpose to please the audience by doing nasty kills. It is like in old Rome, the guy with the net and the spear, no soldier would go like this to war, but it makes sense for the arena.
Also I liked the fact that you had mostly human combatants who looked like top notch athlets, not some neckless babies on steroids.
The later UT games became way to freaky and absurd by design, hence I don't like em.

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
Unreal Tournament 2004 and Unreal Tournament 3.

I don't look upon the other games with the same nostalgia, so I'm going with UT2k4 because it is tournament based on it single player and how much run-n-gun-happy-fun it is and UT3 because it has started to have the user made content to make it good although at times I feel like I'm fighting in a shoe box... the environments is so small after getting used to Bridge of Fate and... Hell I can't remember what that level is called... oh well, the Onslaught map that had all the old forts from some Nali/Skaarj war or some ****.

Oh and Unreal 2 was pretty damn fun at times at pretty damn boring at others. Kinda one of those both my favorite and my most hated games.

I'm sorry that I'm sacrilege and I chuckle every time someone says Unreal Tournament and Unreal were the best games ever. I like my tournament games a rolling freak show with absurd **** fling everywhere. Never got the "realism" argument in Unreal forums. But hey, violence and tits.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Unreal/UT without any doubt. The atmosphere and style of both games is so awesome. All Unreal games are a complete mess of different themes and approaches, but for some weird reason, one way or another, it worked in the first two games, it actually felt really cool. After that it just got way too random and too flashy, the atmosphere was gone.

Last edited:

Rohit

May 29, 2008
Unreal/UT without any doubt. The atmosphere and style of both games is so awesome. All Unreal games are a complete mess of different themes and approaches, but for some weird reason, one way or another, it worked in the first two games, it actually felt really cool. After that it just got way too random and too flashy, the atmosphere was gone.
This.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004

Agree here. I did like some of the weapons and stages in Unreal II, but Unreal / UT are what got me into the series.

If Quake has an identity crisis, I'm really curious about what the Unreal franchise has.

Sep 24, 2005
Wasn't interested in the Unreal games, until UT2K4. And I had a lot of good experiences and "awesome!" moments with it, that are impossible in other games.

Having played all Unreal games, I think every of them was at least good for it's time. But also, every one of them is an acquired taste.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Apparently lots of people like the old games, Unreal and Unreal Tournament. Given this is the UT3 forum there should be a slight favor to the arena type shooters.

Beyond Unreal must go way back. I remember Nalicity was one of the first sites featuring Unreal and it's early predecessors.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
UT. Was the game that got me into shooters.

I'm embarrassed to say that the only game I haven't played on that list (aside from UT4, obviously) is Unreal. :(

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Several games got my vote:

Unreal, for simply put being one of the best Singleplayer experiences of its day, right up there with Half-Life. Unreal made a whole world of mysterious flora and fauna seem believable, and its AI was superior to Half-Life's in most regards.

Unreal II, despite what most will say, was a fine FPS, and a pretty one, too. Its main problem was that it essentially ditched any links to the original game save the Skaarj and a few vaguely familiar weapons. If it were named anything else, it probably would've been better received by the fanbase.

Unreal Tournament, there is nothing I can say here that others haven't, and is probably the best out of all the overall entries. It was fast, it was frantic, the AI was fiendish and the strategy of the gameplay simply outweighed, outclassed, and outdid any other twitch MP Shooter of the day - and indeed, it still can probably hold its own on the gameplay department.

UT2004, was a good way to shore up UT2003's faults, as well as introduce some new things (Vehicles) while giving it the appropriate spin. And it worked... until 2006, when most people found out that they couldn't one-hit kill vehicles with shock combos and so abandoned the gametype for the most part, proclaiming vehicles were for noobs and retreating to the safety of DM-Rankin and DM/CTF-Grendelkeep, which were far more favorable matchups for hitscan games.

Unreal Tournament 3, is a lot like UT2003 in many ways. As I said on IRC the other night, UT2003 had everything but the gameplay perfect. UT3 had everything but the gameplay FUBARed. While the gameplay itself is very solid and just as fun as the original UT's, too many people were turned off by the horrid menu, lack of features, bad launch, lack of Warfare in the demo, little bugs and issues, no Linux server, still no Mac and Linux clients, framerate-sensitive aiming, STILL no lag compensating netcode... the list goes on and on. Throw in very stiff competition in the form of COD4, TF2, and Crysis, and Midway likely pushing Epic a bit for a release, and of course, the fateful decision to let Gamespy handle the Master Server and it simply added up to too many annoyances to outweigh the positives of the game. There's a good game in there despite all of this, though, which gives me hope for...

Unreal Tournament 4. If Epic has taken this criticism to heart - and I'm very sure they have, and likely some of them are privately just as frustrated with its reception as they are, then the next UT is their chance to either say we were right and they don't care, or that we should shut the **** up because they will deliver a game that will dazzle us all. I'm pretty convinced that, like UT2003, UT3 was a victim of its own lofty expectations, failure to meet those, ideas that got announced and scrapped, and pressures to deliver, and when it came out in the state that it was released in, it naturally failed to meet those. Epic proved they can learn from their mistakes with UT2004, and I see no reason they can't do it again... but if UT4 (Or UT3.5, or however they decide to do it if they do do it) is to be a success, it needs to have tight lips kept on its features until they have something to show, it needs to fix all the things that went wrong with UT3 (Menu, gamespy, lack of features, etc), and - perhaps most importantly - it has to be polished, not rushed. We all know Epic is under contract to do three Unreal games with Midway. (Anthology doesn't count, IIRC.) UC2 was one, UT3 was two. This means we might get a UT3.5/UT4, or a Unreal III (Which also needs to go back to its roots, but that's a different topic entirely) but it means we should see at least one more Unreal game. And Epic is not a company that doesn't learn from its mistakes.

Apologies if this was tl;dr. But people really need to stop running around like Chicken Little, and taking everything that is said or whispered at face value. If anything, now is the time to be showing we still stick by them because we still believe they can put something out that is more attractive to more people. UT3 tried to capture it, but it didn't, so UT3.5/UT4 simply MUST do it. Fortunately, things like a new interface are much easier to take care of than complete tweaking and rebalancing of game mechanics. :p