UE1 - UT StÅRGÅTE Project "Unreal" -Recruitment-

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leonardo

Old fart on top the mountain.....
Ladies & Gentlemen of The BuF Community,

Some of you know me. I'm the project manager for the UT2004 Megatokyo APD Project. But also just recently I have been not only invited to this team but also as a moderator for thier forums as well.

I'm here to invite those interested in helping this project out? There is room for some expansion. Assitance in mapping and scripting and weapon designs are welcome. Everyone involved in the project will be credited and props given in the readme documentation as well.

This would be a prime oppertunity for those starting out and even for the seasoned Unreal vets to grab a enforcer again and help bring something very enjoyable to the unreal community that brought us UT and the later ports and mods.

So, we present you the link to the Stargate Unreal Beta Project Forums and hope to see some of you there.

Here as an example of some of the current maps WIP. By GenMoKai,
Some very nice Interior Design work.

Server crashed images lost. Will update shortly please no rock throwing allowed

Thank you for this oppertunity to present this project to the BuF Community.

Last edited:

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
I would make sure that you are not going to violate any IP by doing this mod. I know of one start gate game that in production now and MGM might not like you making this.

Pyronious

Good morning vietn.. Unreal!
Mar 10, 2008
Uh, we are creating this game on Unreal1 227b(based on UT), not unreal Tournament itself.

Leonardo

I think William was trying to relay the fact of the stargate worlds MMORPG being released so might have had something to say depending how this mod was being built. Since its with the Unreal 1st edition Engine there really isn't that much I think the company would say. Otherwise Garry's mods with the Stargate Mods for H/L 2 would have been issues a C&D a long time ago same with the UT2004 Teams that were working on SG Related projects too.

Pyronious

Mar 10, 2008
i see the ppl are very excited! :D .. No. :p maybe they don't fully trust us.. ? well, we are 200% excited.. :p i'd like to go continue mapping, but i can't.. i've got school..

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
You mean Stargate Worlds? I don't think it will violate any of thier Properitary assests. Otherwise The "Atlantis" Project would have been handed a Cease & Desist more than a yr ago.

That is a false assumption.

I don't see how this can avoid infringing on the Stargate copyrights.

The only way that this could be done and avoid a legal entanglement is to ask the studio for permission in advance. Odds are that they will refuse it :( but sometimes a case can made, e.g. sell it as a way of selling (advertising) their games and properties, agree to only release "approved" versions (basically, the studio would not want Hot Coffee Stargate mod)

Better to find out if it can or can not be done now rather than getting a letter just before V1.0 gets published - months of work down the toilet (at a minimum).

Leonardo

*sighs* -=FINE=- I'll go and sit down somewhere and type out some letter to the studio and see what they think of a group prospective and possible game programers/modlers of the idea of bringing something "based" on SG. To see how fast the studio brings it down on thier heads and crushs whatever excitement they had for this project. ........

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
*sighs* -=FINE=- I'll go and sit down somewhere and type out some letter to the studio and see what they think of a group prospective and possible game programmers/modelers of the idea of bringing something "based" on SG. To see how fast the studio brings it down on their heads and crushes whatever excitement they had for this project. ........

Its not that the studio does not want you to do this its more along the lines of they don't want your mod which could turn out to be crap reflecting bad on them.

For example if I made Ferrari's out of my garage for people for free Ferrari would get made at me not because I am making them for free but because I don't have the same quality controls that they do so some one could pick up my version and think that this is a real one and make a false assumption about that product that is not true.

Again I am telling you all this as I currently work on the SGW project and I know that they would frown on this. Again its not that they don't want you to make a mod and get a job its they don't want people getting your mod confused with our AAA title.

Leonardo

So what you are telling them is in fact "Don't make the mod" yes or no? If so then it will be up to you not "I" not BuF but you as a representative of the company that is producing "Stargate Worlds" to issue a cease & desist order to these young men and/or women, or face prosecution in a international court for copyright infringment and logo defacement. Am I correct? Yes or no? if so please tell them so they can stop what they are doing and go on with something maybe? But I will *not* be the one to tell them to stop.

*appended* Also if you do issue a cease and desist order on these guys for doing this? I would imagine and expect a cease and desist on "any" stargate related mod for any engine at moddb to also be issued cease and desist orders as well from your company as not to seem to be targeting this team of modders. This is not me trying to be "rectaly retentive" about the issue, but its just like the DBZ Bid for Power Case that funimation pulled on the guys doing that Quake 3 mod. If you do one? You best do them all to keep the bases covered and to having all your ducks in one row.

Stargate Unreal Project Forums please feel free to discuss it with them.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
So what you are telling them is in fact "Don't make the mod" yes or no? If so then it will be up to you not "I" not BuF but you as a representative of the company that is producing "Stargate Worlds" to issue a cease & desist order to these young men and/or women, or face prosecution in a international court for copyright infringment and logo defacement. Am I correct? Yes or no? if so please tell them so they can stop what they are doing and go on with something maybe? But I will *not* be the one to tell them to stop.

I think you will find that Billy$Clint is not speaking as an official representative of the company producing Stargate Worlds. If he were, then the missive would be on headed letter paper, not a forum post and a good deal nastier.

He is not acting as the copyright police. What he is trying to do is to save you from making what could potentially be an expensive mistake (either in terms of time or money or both). You should appreciate that he is trying to give you some inside advice.

A Stargate mod (which would be a fantastic thing) can only have a future if it is done with permission. Just because others have so far managed to get away with it so far (if I have understood your post) does not mean that they will continue to get away with it or that a U Stargate mod will get away with it.

Leonardo

And as stated I am not the project head of this mod. Therefore I can only bring it to thier attention and have the appropriate steps taken. I'm invovled in managing thier forums and possible talent recruitment. I also try to keep the peace as much as possible as well. I'm sure they will post here soon enough, and discuss what steps they will take to attempt to resolve this "issue".

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
i hope you find a solution about the mod name.
its the major upcoming unreal mod.i wish you good luck leonardo&team.:)

Pyronious

Mar 10, 2008
Ehm, whats the whole deal, our mod is a shooter, not a RPG.. and What about the names? Ours is StargateUnreal, yours is Stargate - Worlds ?

I don't see the point.

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
Ehm, whats the whole deal, our mod is a shooter, not a RPG.. and What about the names? Ours is StargateUnreal, yours is Stargate - Worlds ?

I don't see the point.

Its well one its the name "Stargate" no matter how you swing it is IP of MGM and they have final say in how and where it gets used.

I am not a lawyer by any means and I don't speak for the company on any legal level so don't think that I am telling you that you have to stop I am just trying to help you not waist time or money on something that could possibly blow up in your face.

Last edited:

Pyronious

Mar 10, 2008
ah tnx, now i understand.
You mean that we possibly break the copyright of the company of the Stargate series..
oh well, sm1key and I already discussed that, we can also name it like HeavenGate or ehm.. Worldgate ? lol... but what about that other mod, stargate -worlds, do they have permission ? if so, was it free? :d

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
oh well, sm1key and I already discussed that, we can also name it like HeavenGate or ehm.. Worldgate ?
Wormhole Xtreme? :)

but what about that other mod, stargate -worlds, do they have permission ? if so, was it free? :d

http://www.stargateworlds.com/about.html

is a commercial project with a license from the copyright owners (AFAIK).

If there have been other small mods based around Stargate then either they have been lucky, been too small for even the legal sharks to worry about or they did have permission. In any event, as a general rule, someone else getting away with it does not guarantee legal protection to your mod.

It rather depends on what you want to achieve with your mod. If you are intent on creating a "just like in the TV series" feel then you are out of luck. However, if you are more interested in the possibilities offered by ready access to a multitude of different worlds then MGM does not have a monopoly on wormholes, teleportation or aliens intent on enslaving Earth. So, you should be capable of making a mod that uses those elements. Just don't set the base underneath a mountain. Don't use the US Airforce. You get the drift.