Over There

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Well The problem with films and TV shows is reality sometimes comes off less real than fiction.

The common man finds it difficult to believe that men and women, just like them, can react with precision and decisiveness in the heat of battle, amidst such chaos. To see soldiers react "properly" as they were trained would seem tottally hollywood to them. Because they wouldn't be able to do the same. To see a well trained section go into action is like watching a well greased machine. It's inhuman. They can't understand that human beings are capable of that, much like the reaction people have to buddhist monks doing kung fu or really good skateboarders. Anyone is capable of doing it with proper training. With it, even the lowly bookworm/D&D nerd could do amazing things with a rifle. Tha'ts the point of entire military's structure.

True to life in film and TV dramas require that the audience identify completely with the emotions felt by the characters. otherwise your simply watching a documentary. A regular joe cannot understand what real soldiers experience when in combat The body does one thing but the mind does another. How do you portray that on TV. How do you get your audience to think that deeply. You don't. You make the soldiers on the show act the way a civillian in that situation would. That way viewers can identify with the show and feel like they understand what war is about.

That is of course unless your talented......

Last edited:
frysnap.gif

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Well, I personally thought last night's episode was better than the first. With the exception of the dream sequence and "Bo's" experiences in Landstuhl, I thought that keeping it in a single setting, a short period of time, and a single, short, apparent mundane assignment worked a little better. The prisoner in the trunk part..........................pretty gay. And it appears as though the interrogation portions in upcoming episodes are going to be as hokey as hell. We'll see. I did like the nice touch of the Platoon Leader's lead Hummer having wiper marks in the dust on the glass, but not having any windshield wipers. :lol: And the first vehicle that they shot up at the checkpoint having the passenger window down in one scene, then up in another...........even the dead get hot in the desert I suppose.......

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
I guess I'll give the second episode a shot. Does anything in it even come close to the last two minutes of the first?

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
There were a few 'holy shit' moments, if that's what you mean.

And by a 'few' I mean 'one'.

However, despite the ten-thousand continuity errors, it wasn't terrible.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
5eleven said:
LMFAO, I remember, back in my drinking days, going to the bars and listening to all of the assholes playing "classic rock". I still get visibly shaken and nauseated every time that I hear Foghat's "Slow Ride" or "Strokin" by Clarence Carter. :lol:

The only thing worse is ANYTHING by Jimmy Buffet ... I ever hear Cheeseburger in Paradise again and I'll projectile vomit on the spot.

U/D/T/SNAKE

Only partially annoying now
I just caught my first episode last night. Watched for a whole 8 minutes before my digital cable channel surfing fiesta began, clicked back for a few minute, then left it alone. Horrible...just the same crap as every other show I see on now. It seems there is a trend to have a show be so over the top, to have every character be so farkin smug, and finally to have every situation portrayed attempt to be so terrific in its impact and statement that is all just gets lost. Just my observation. My final analysis on this is...blame the media who is now targeting an audience that learned how to act watching beer commercials and "Friends" episodes.

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
My god I just finished watching the first episode. Jesus anyone wpould have thought that Bruckheimer was involved. What a pile of ****. Someone better find those camera men and have them shot I almost got motion sickness. Story was utter crap also. I'll guve it one more episode maybe...... but I dont hold out much hope. Dire times indeed if this passes for TV.

Besides, I hate the term 'teleplay'. Whoever coined that phrase is a dick. The second I saw that word on the title screen - I knew I was going to hate it.

The obnoxious 'hold-the-camera-low-to-the-ground-and-run-towards-the-wounded-guy' camera move at the end was really stupid. It's even better than they repeated it three times to really drive the point home...

As for realism? Yeah, that 40mm nade was hilarious. Also, watching the Iraqis running down a hill, shooting randomly from the hip reminded me of some classic 80's action movies. And the (tiny) pink blood trail behind the head of a dead Iraqi? Pretty lame special effects. It seemed pretty low budget. The only part of the entire show that I enjoyed was the very end.

Yea I couldn't agree more exept for the end. It all sucked big time.
-How.

Last edited:

cracwhore

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
511 - I want my money back...

Friends don't let other friends watch bad TV!

You and your 'F/X'...shame!

cracwhore

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
No.

Buttered toast is an achievement that mankind shall never surpass.

Except for maybe, buttered toast with jams and honey.