Over There

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Caught the first episode. Disappointing, in some respects. Realism is not exactly its strong point, though it still manages to do a pretty good job of evoking atmosphere. Writing's not great, but not bad, and hits some good high points. Tries a little too hard to do too much in one episode, and narrative development (and characters (and themes)) feel rushed. And despite its problems, it still manages to be pretty powerful. Worth watching, despite its
flaws.

PS: THR is full of cunts.

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Agreed Arethusa.

WHAT????? We agree on something???? :lol:

I was kind of ticked, because I took off of work early to catch the first episode, only to see that the same damned episode was repeated immediately thereafter.
I thought it started a little slow, with very little background. As you said, realism wasn't really a strong point, but I thought after the first 20-30 minutes, character development picked up a little more strongly. I believe this will be another good F/X series that I won't miss.

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
That show was ass, and that was the worst soundtrack I've ever heard - ever. Honestly, 'Top Gun' had a better soundtrack.

The writing is double-ass. The pacing was just so confusing. I didn't really give a shit about any of the (over-used-cliche) characters like:

-Football
-(College Educated) Wifebeater Guy
-Black Guy from the 'Streets', that smokes the pot
-'Uncle Tom' Negro
-Latino Woman
-White Chick that freaks out and gets in trouble
-Dude Guy
-Sarge

Example of oddly placed 'controversial' dialog - designed specifically to create ratings from controversy:

'Hey, I'm a nigger - you a nigger? 'Cause these white boys tryin' to say that the other nigger made a bad call. You think he made a bad call?' -Streets

'Yeah son. It was a bad call. -Uncle Tom

'Aw shit! We need to stick together son, ya heard?' -Streets

'Yeah nigger - fo'sho! But, I'm kind of an Army nigger - not so much a gansta fool-ass nigger. Naw'mean?' -Uncle Tom

'Nigger, we gots to stick together! White man hole'us down. You brainwashed or somethin! We gots to stick with our kind! They tryin' to get him in trouble 'cause he black! Not 'cause he almost got us all killed!' -Streets

'Yeah, I got your back, son. But I got your back as an Army nigger because we're in the Army. That's what the Army's all about! Wise up son!' -Uncle Tom

'We niggers then!' -Streets

'Word.' -Uncle Tom

'....you wanna smoke a joint?' -Streets

'You know I do!' -Uncle Tom

Oddly enough, no AZNs, Jews or Arabs this time around. Maybe next episode.

Besides, I hate the term 'teleplay'. Whoever coined that phrase is a dick. The second I saw that word on the title screen - I knew I was going to hate it.

The obnoxious 'hold-the-camera-low-to-the-ground-and-run-towards-the-wounded-guy' camera move at the end was really stupid. It's even better than they repeated it three times to really drive the point home...

As for realism? Yeah, that 40mm nade was hilarious. Also, watching the Iraqis running down a hill, shooting randomly from the hip reminded me of some classic 80's action movies. And the (tiny) pink blood trail behind the head of a dead Iraqi? Pretty lame special effects. It seemed pretty low budget. The only part of the entire show that I enjoyed was the very end.

I especially loved the patented 'oh no - you've been shot!' stage fall. So realistic! I can only imagine the advice given to the actors:

'Remember, when you are shot and dying - lean backwards, shoot your weapon into the air, fall onto your back, twitch your arms and feet like you're having a seizure - and continue firing off rounds.' -military consultant

Also, did they censor the 'bad language' on tv?

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
It's not that I really disagree with you, though I think you're slightly (though only slightly) too harsh on the writing. But I really can't get past the fact that despite all its problems, the two minutes were still very moving.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
I don't know. I don't listen to Green Day. Why would you do something like that?

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Because Closing time, when I come around, brain stew and wake me up when september ends aren't that bad at all. Nice background music at the very least, and since it's different it makes a good change from the rest of my music library :)

By the way, I don't think so howsky. I did a little search a few weeks ago and it seemed they made it themselves. Not entirely sure though since my answer came from forums, not exactly that reliable.

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
Ah ok, as for green day they are a great band ..... nowhere near as good as they used to be but still great. As I work in a pub with moron customers and a juke box, I hear the entire selection of green day about 12 times a night, I'm not joking once the ladys put a song on 4 times back to back. Thats £1.5 wasted.

Oh and that vid for when sep ends really was bad it didn't seem to fit the song and the attempts to put a plot in over the song really grated.
-How.

5eleven

Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Pikeman said:
As I work in a pub with moron customers and a juke box, I hear the entire selection of green day about 12 times a night,
LMFAO, I remember, back in my drinking days, going to the bars and listening to all of the assholes playing "classic rock". I still get visibly shaken and nauseated every time that I hear Foghat's "Slow Ride" or "Strokin" by Clarence Carter. :lol:

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
Of course, IEDs don't work anything like that, and the truck pulling off to the side was fantastically stupid and really something out of a bad 80s action movie. And you can heap on plenty of other well deserved insults, but I still can't get past how hauntin the final two minutes were.

5eleven

Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Two things:
Over There isn't even in the same class as Band of Brothers, period.

The "buried roadside IED with flags". When they rolled onto that, I could have sworn I heard the theme from "The A Team" playing in the background. "I love it when a plotline falls apart."

Anyone else notice the soldier picking up Bo's leg? The one with the kind of buggy eyes? He played in another kid movie, but I can't think of the name of it. Anyone? Anyone?

EDIT
Went to visit my sister today, took her to see a movie. Was giving her a brief rundown on "Over There" and asked her about the aforementioned actor and asked if she remembered what movie I was talking about. "Baseball, and a big dog that stole the baseballs". Without hesitation, she answered: "The Sandlot". Ah, my sister, almost as full of useless information as I am. The actor: Patrick Renna.
032243_45.jpg

Last edited: