Review: Bot Chat Command 2003 v2.02

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
[ Transcript of review for Bot Chat Command 2003 v2.02 | Posted by Dade on 2003-02-21 | Score: 9.3 ]
Think the standard bot orders in 2k3 are to…well…standard? Bot Chat Command (BCC) seeks to remedy that common complaint. Originally for UT, BCC has made the jump to 2k3 with very favorable results. The best improvement is the integrated menu feature. Under the “Config Mutator” option, you’ll need to bind a key that will bring up the Bot Command menu. Or, if you prefer the old-fashioned way, you can manually enter the commands using “TeamSay.” The Readme explains all of the commands and gives examples, so you won’t be left in the dark.

Simply put, Bot Chat Command allows you to give very specific orders to your bots. Say, for instance, you wanted Gorge to defend the flag for 300 seconds and then cover you with the rocket launcher. BCC would allow you to do that. That’s one of the other features of BCC; you can give commands with time limits or delay certain commands. You could do “Rylisa defend for 120 seconds then freelance”, or “cover me for 60 seconds then cover Loque with the link gun.” There are a whole variety of commands and infinite combinations, so if you want the bots to do exactly what you want, BCC gives you that ability (however, they won’t jump off of cliffs or into lava for you, I’ve tried).

One of the other unique features of BCC2k3 is the ability to declare spots for certain commands. Say you find or know of a great sniper spot on a map. Simply go to that spot, bring up the menu, and hit the option to define the spot. A text box pops up and you type in the name for that spot. Ok, I’ve defined “Campsite”, now I want Malcolm to SnipeAt “Campsite” with the SniperRifle. You can use the menu or hit TeamSay and put “Malcolm sa campsite w sniper.” Malcolm runs off like a good little bot, pitches his tent, and settles in for some power-camping!

One downside of BCC2k3 is that in order for commands to be given with custom weapons you need to enter in the weapon class and assign a weapon name in the “BCC2k3.ini” file. This could be done in-game via a menu, but LedZep decided not to add one. Not a big thing, but it does stand out as tad inconvenient. Perhaps in later versions this feature will be added.

Overall, BCC2k3 is a great tool to have for botmatches. I’m pretty sure it can be used online, although taking the extra time required to enter in the commands could prove fatal. BCC has no obviously apparent bugs, and much time has been taken to account for a great deal of possible commands. If you enjoy playing with bots, then BCC2k3 is a must.