Review: BlastPak 1.5

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
[ Transcript of review for BlastPak 1.5 | Posted by Nemephosis on 2004-02-19 | Score: 8 ]
A long time ago there was a player class for UT. And it had different console commands built into it, such as the ability to kill people at will, gain health, etc. Some of these abilities destroyed all projectiles in range, froze them in midair or even turned them right back in their tracks at the people who fired them! These abilities, plus a new one, have become adrenaline combos in UT2003. While I enjoy the return of them, the adrenaline setup leaves something to be desired. There’s no screens unless you enjoy seeing projectiles hovering in the air. :p

The basic rundown of abilities:

Blast-Stop: freezes all projectiles near you, leaving them in the air as mines. If you’re careless enough to wander into one, you’ll eat damage just as you would if it had been moving.

Blast Drop: sends all projectiles straight into the ground. Blast Stop is better.

Blast Reversal: easily my favourite. This is the one that sends that flak blast right back into the ugly mug of the guy who THOUGHT you were going to be on the wrong end of it. Very useful.

Blast Kill: simply explodes all projectiles near you. The least impressive of the bunch.

And finally we get the new ability:

Blast Stop--Reloaded: Sets up a “personal forcefield” that lasts about ten seconds and stops any projectiles that hit it. It’s matrix-like in its execution, and the most useful of the bunch.

All these adrenaline combos don’t eat your adrenaline, rather, they take a set amount. Blast Stop takes 10, Drop takes 10, Reversal takes 50, and Reloaded takes 20. All combos affect an area radiating from you as the center equal to about 3/4 of a Redeemer blast (which means nothing to me in this game as there’s no way to measure it visually due to the extrememly stupid redeemer shockwave graphic taking up the whole map) EXCEPT for the Reloaded one, which has a range equal to half that of all the other combos.

While these are very fun to play with, memorizing the combos to use in the heat of battle is just too cumbersome. Pulling them off is even harder. The only thing I can suggest is changing them from adrenaline combos, to mutate commands. Postal has said he’s looking into this, and it would be so much better if this happens. Still, as is, it brings back lots of memories and is great fun.

Nemephosis