UE3 - UDK Some specific questions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
S

Sezar1

Hi every1 my name is Samar. I am a 3d artist working at Prana studios Bombay, India. I have been wanting to do something with the Unreal Engine for the past 6months and have been learning the basics for the past few months about lighting, particles, meshes, BSP and other ways to create content on the UDK. The "Good Samaritian" was a major inspiration for me and it got me working towards creating something similar.

I have looked around the site and on the Epic's UDK documentation site and gotten a pretty good idea on developing content. I just had a few very specific questions that i couldn't quite find clear answers for, and was hoping the experienced folk here at Beyond Unreal can help me with it.

-> Can characters have 2 or more UV channels like production models have?
Like one for the body and another for the head on the same low poly skinned mesh? Is there any documentation or tut that shows how to do it?

-> One of the characters is a Giant mech, i was hoping to get some nice close up shots for it but with its huge scale a 2048 or even a 4096 texture would look blurry(i think). I was wondering if i can like have 2 separate UV channels for say one for the lower body and another for the upper body, is that doable on the same mesh?

-> I planned on using the Set up machine for Maya 2011 for rigging the models. I knw about the joint limit and other limitations, what i was wondering was when i'll export the model into the UDK will the IK or Spline controls create a problem with the bones? Has any1 here used the SetUp machine to create rigs for gaming models for UDK? Any feedback will save me hours in R&D.

-> The protagonist has a pony tail and was wondering if the best solution was to just put a bone joint in there and key frame animate it? or use UDK's physics tool to let it handle it? Is there any tut or documentation links on attaching like a rope, clothing piece or any other prop that would properly hang and act accordingly with character's movements?

-> Any tuts or tips for creating really immersible skyboxes and any specific things to keep in mind while painting one? I looked at the material networks of the sample ones that come inside the test package, can't say i really understood anything but i am planning to use them as a template and just add my custom skybox dds file at the file input nodes. Is that a good or bad idea?

-> Any links on how to animate vehicles? Like how to about attaching emitters on tyres or even simulate fires and glass breaking?

There's very scarce information on weaving content together or solving the various little nuances like the ones i mentioned above, any answers will be most welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator: