Some new magazine scans and small movie

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Hi all.

Well, I just got in the May 1998 Edition of PC Gamer magazine.

IMG_6767.jpg

IMG_6768.jpg

A 6-page review of Unreal plus a very strange advertisement and also came with a preview movie and some screenshots all zipped up at 216MB.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n8ezg102ll8latx/PC_Gamer_May_98.zip

The movie file is dated March 27th 1998, the 24 screenshots from March 16th 1998. Interesting stuff.
The movie is a .smk file which needs to be played in the included “smackplayer”. Just drag “Unreal.smk” into the player.

Sorry for the low quality of the scans. My scanner has an issue with some discoloration in sections of the scans…it can’t be fixed so these will have to do for now. 600dpi, so quite large. Too large? I haven’t done this before, so forgive any novice moves. I thought that the bigger scans would be useful for our historians who might want to have a good look at the photos in the article.

Some teasers of the screenshots:

15.png

24.png

1-1.png

Enjoy.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Couldn't agree more, but in a fantastic scenario. It won't happen, so forget it. We do have the great many mods, campaigns and retexture project for Unreal, so we have actually quite a few options to keep the game fresh.

For me, I don't want Unreal again. It is an amazing game even now and I have too many great memories tied to it as it is. I want the next Unreal; a worthy successor to the legacy. The series was left hanging and either Epic need to get on it or sell the name to someone who will. A developer that understand what is needed and has the balls to get it done.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Can I please request a dropbox link? It's impossible for me to snatch it from mediafire at once, some direct link would do, like dropbox or something. If necesary could provide alternative I suppose.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Leo, I have some Dropbox problems at the moment, so I can't provide that for you. I will as soon as I get it sorted. Is there another service that you prefer? Maybe I could put it up there.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Leo, I have some Dropbox problems at the moment, so I can't provide that for you. I will as soon as I get it sorted. Is there another service that you prefer? Maybe I could put it up there.
The problem is I cannot download such large files through the browser and my situation is still very complicated. I can however download files directly by script/ftp but it has to be a direct link. The download services usually don't give off one but there are exceptions. Mediafire is even worse due to javascript requirement when it could do just without. Any service which has direct links like dropbox could do, or I could alternatively perhaps provide you with some ftp acess but it would have to be set up.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Leo; I will have a link for you tomorrow from my Dropbox. I will send it to you in a PM.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I wanted to say here, this must be the March/April beta that I played back in 1998.
Indications: More gore and gibs in general, especially vortex rikers, larger lesser brutes at nyleve, other effects/map differences about the same. I believe this can be the version which has the force field wall in vortex instead of the execution room. I believe in coop this force wall served purpose of that you could open it from other side to other players, as in the specific version i played vortex 2 and nyleve were somehow joined together into one big map. It's not far fetched because the surrounding of vortex2 changed quite a few times and in final version remember there is a music event at start of nyleve which sets the music to silence. Now why would this happen? Because originally it was required to change the music from the vortex theme to silence before switching to the outside dusk music?
I know that this video triggered long gone memories in me, some locked ones too which i never thought i would remember again. The Nali appareance and sounds are about the same as I recall too. Note that he drops stinger upon death I think. The skaarj trooper having automag in ruins is interesting too and the razorjack equipped troopers at queenend.

In the PC Gamer supplement mag there is a screenshot of even different queen map in the editor, having what appears floating platforms/generators around the arena, so jumpboots were not required, as I said. Now in this video queen is not in sight, I think it's pretty clear she was encased underground, which is seen in the editor shot, there is additional alien egg like mover around her it seems. Now, this kind of segmential fight with skaarjs first was later moved to extremegen for the second fight with warlord, which originally wasn't there. It makes sense because even in february 98 beta there is no extremegen, just extreme which includes extreme core and part with the generator which is very different but has no warlord fight. So basically the fight in queenend was meant to be more like the extremegen fight in the final game, except they split the fights in the end.

Last edited: