anyone interested in a 1v1 tournament

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
Kashll said:
I might play to give raffi/m&ms/dan/scummy/etc. at 1v1 a bit of competition. Not really my strong point, but i did beat raffi on two maps out of three the one time we played so I won't be totally out of the running.

Though raffi says I am a terrible 1v1 player with no 1v1 skills at all, so I guess we'll see :D

Edit: I know I only have 7 posts, but i do have 19.3 hours logged at fragbu's, so hopefully that is sufficient?
As far as I'm comcerned (I don't count) your a "Known" player on FBU at least to me.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Kashll is liek totally pr0 and I bet he bakes a good caek. :eek: You don't need 1v1 "skills" (i.e. "alright, let's do this. shields up, run away!") when you can frag like he can. Aggression > conservative play if you don't miss, regardless of whether or not Raffi thinks it's good for 1v1.
Defeat said:
>I got pwned by Dark Pulse yesterday at a 1v1, i'm not very good with hitscan
Well, get to practicing. :p DP's a nub compared to quite a few people here. And by "quite a few" I mean "most." And by "most" I mean "everyone." :lol: Same goes for Dan, just the other way around. If he plays he's gonna win.
disgusted.gif

dXII][Pa

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Jan 3, 2004
Never plays 1vs1 but I'd be interested in joining just for the fun of it.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
>I know the double damage is taken out of the 1v1 matches but can the 100a be taken out too and just have nothing or the 50a? Then it would be more of a skill test and not more of a timing test. Just a n00bs suggestion.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Well, one of the important "skills" in 1v1 is controlling certain areas of the map. Specifically the most powerful weapons and the powerups. It kind of "forces" the action. Either you are in area "x" at "x" time or your opponent gains an advantage. And typically, there is a 100a and a 50a to provide incentives - with the 100a being in the most precarious position.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
Kashll said:
I might play to give raffi/m&ms/dan/scummy/etc. at 1v1 a bit of competition. Not really my strong point, but i did beat raffi on two maps out of three the one time we played so I won't be totally out of the running.

Though raffi says I am a terrible 1v1 player with no 1v1 skills at all, so I guess we'll see :D
Hmm, no I didn't say that at all. And if you'd like a rematch, I'd be happy to play.
Turns2Ashes said:
You don't need 1v1 "skills" (i.e. "alright, let's do this. shields up, run away!") when you can frag like he can. Aggression > conservative play if you don't miss, regardless of whether or not Raffi thinks it's good for 1v1.
There's a difference between being aggressive and being just dumb. Charging with mini or link or something like that when your opponent has just taken the 100 shield and has all the weapons is dumb, not being aggressive. Also, have you noticed how whenever you're playing well your shield gun usage drops? The shield gun is more of a defensive weapon than an offensive one... if you're playing well you don't need it.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Defeat said:
>True, although to me it seems to give the other person too much of an advantage, mabye replace the 100a with another 50a?
You can't complain about the 100a. It's a necessary evil, and you'll just have to learn to fight for it rather than giving it to the other guy for free. By replacing it with a 50a you'll give no incentive for the guy in the lead to do anything but camp the best places he can. The 100a forces him out of hiding and into dangerous positions because it's enough armor for anyone to do some serious damage provided they half know what they're doing. He's got to grab it solely to prevent his opponent from grabbing it and turning the tables on him. Don't forget that unlike UT2003 the 50a doesn't stack if you grab more than one, giving the lead guy further reason not to fight over it.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Overkill. It lasts too long, basically. Long enough to the point that the guy who grabs it can get several one-shot spawn kills in a row if either he knows the spawns or the other guy is a dumbass. With such a high wait time on weapon respawns and such an utterly useless spawn weapon, it would just tip the balance too far. Good for someone down to make a comeback, but really bad (in the sense that they get to own someone who's already losing) for someone who's up. At least that's as much as I gathered from it.

I don't really know if the pr0 community decided to get rid of it from UT2003->UT2004 because it made spawn rape too easy or because they didn't like losing their precious 100 armor in one shot because they missed the amp. Or maybe they got rid of it because it made matches more boringer than they already are. There's no incentive for the guy who doesn't have the amp to go try and kill the guy who does when he can just wait it out. Maybe if the amp dropped on a kill like in Quaek then it would still be in since that promotes aggression on both sides. But I'm guessing what happened in the past is someone would grab the amp and the other guy would just run and hide until its time ran out, and eventually someone decided that was stupid, so they took it out altogether.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
Amp doesn't work well with 2k4 armour system. Keep everything how it should be and don't make dumb changes please.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
The settings will be standard competitive 1v1... we're not changing anything. For those of you who don't know what those settings are:

UTComp on
Adrenaline off
Weaponstay off
Amp off
Time limit = 15
No frag limit