The Ball - Teotl - Released!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
It took our team 7 months, but we have released the third installment of The Ball!

# At least twice as big as the previous release
# We have redone large parts of the first three levels.
# More than 4 hours of singleplay gameplay
# 100 Percent all new art and content
# Over 16 secret to discover and one very hard to find shortcut.
# Solve puzzles and fight monsters in a mysterious world deep inside a volcano!
# Previous installments have won a tripple first prize in the Make Something Unreal contest and was awarded "Best Singleplay Mod of 2008" by ModDB.

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.nijnka.com/hourences/theball/media/gorillafight2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://www.nijnka.com/hourences/theball/media/theballteotl15.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://www.nijnka.com/hourences/theball/media/theballnearrelease1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://www.nijnka.com/hourences/theball/media/theballnearrelease4.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]​

Trailer available here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWFUYRhjb3Q

Creative Director - Sjoerd "Hourences" De Jong
Programming - James "SolidSnake" Tan - Russ "Vaninadisc" McMackin - Markus Arvidsson
Level Design - Sjoerd "Hourences" De Jong - Thomas "Setheran" Browett - Kevin "Sklare" Cytatzky
Additional Level Design - Anton "Rendermonkey" Botvalde - Russ "Vaninadisc" McMackin - Dan "Daze" Banefelt
Level Scripting - Anton "Rendermonkey" Botvalde - Thomas "Setheran" Browett
Environment Art - Sjoerd "Hourences" De Jong
Character Art - Bart "Pestibug" Wiltenburg - Elusive - Markus "Tores" Palviainen
Additional Character Art - Manti
Animation - Hongman "Whackzero" Leung
Additional Animation - Markus "Tores" Palviainen - Charles "EvilEngine" Jones
Original Music and Audio - Theodore Wohng
Additional Music and Audio - Epic Games
Voice Acting, Video, Additional Sound Design - Henrik "Bersy" Ryosa
Additional Help - Hal:Forums - Hazel;Textures - Mr.Prophet:Story - Utz:Animations - SBR:palm Trees - Polycron:Loading Screen - Winegums:Website - DGUnreal:programming - Zynthetic:Intro Voice Acting - Psychotropic Circle:Music Samples - Cgtextures.com:Textures - And the unknown makers of our fonts

Last edited:

Drummer.unr

Apr 30, 2009
Hi, great job on the mod, it's really got atmosphere, polish, and fun!

I've been playing it for a few hours now, and I seem to be stuck for some reason towards the end (i think it's the end) :(

The platform is all the way down, i can walk over it, but the ball collides with an invisible wall and won't roll onto the plate.

Now, either i'm missing something obvious or there's a bug of some sorts...

I don't want to have to start over, and i really want to fight that big gorilla from the screenshot :D

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Should work, sure it is not just stuck on the little ledge? The button sticks over the floor a tiny bit.

I will test this again right now to see if it works.

Edit: Worked here. There is indeed an invis collision over here that prevents people from getting the ball on too early - however at the stage youre at, it should be gone. And it has worked for us every time. Either it is the little edge or it did really mess up as a one time event.

Last edited:

Drummer.unr

Apr 30, 2009
The collision is still there, cause i tried to jump the ball "up and over" and it hit the invisible wall about two ball sizes above the ground.

It seems the pillar went down but the collision did not.

Maybe i just got unlucky :/

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Hm, you should try again by reloading the level and see if it does work that time.

If you want to quickly skip the whole thing, you must go into ghost mode, fly straight out of the caverns at the start to the entrance of the city, and go back to walking there. Make sure the cutscene that overlooks the city starts as it is a checkpoint. After cutscene, kill yourself, and you will respawn there with the ball, thereby bypassing everything inside easily.
You can also use fly mode to quickly unlock 3 out of the 5 puzzles in the city so you're back down below at the pillar in no time.

Drummer.unr

Apr 30, 2009
Ok, well it worked this time, guess i got unlucky or did something in the wrong order...
thanks

Sanyika

May 8, 2009
Hello guys! I'm a long time fan of your mod, but this is my first post on your forums, because, well, i have a problem :D

I tried it with manual and auto install and always get the same error. The game launches, i see the splash screen, the Toltec logo video, then silence and blank screen. Any idea what should I do? I had no problem with the previous Ball mods or any UT3 mod. Even the new Haunted runs smoothly (I'm just saying because it has own shortcut too, so that's not the problem).

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
The log just cuts off at the end. Thats the case with your local copy too or did it not upload properly? If it just cuts off, that means the error is not even recorded and it may be more serious or something that occured outside of UT.

It did just tried to resolve a webaddress and contact it. Could it be something as utterly simple as perhaps a firewall popping up a message in the background "allow connection"? Or something related.

Sanyika

May 8, 2009
I checked it, it did upload it perfectly, so that's not the case.
Firewall? I don't know, it does not respond to alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del.
Well i do have Kaspersky installed. Let me check when I close it.

No, it's the same. Tho i noticed that the log was shorter this time, because I reboot Windows after 3-4 min, not after 10 min like last time. Let me try it with 15-20 min, so the log would be longer :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
I just had someone else who experienced roughly the same, tho his just errored and didn't hang.

Lets try other things:

C:\Documents and Settings\Hourences\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\TheBall\Shaders

Delete the file in there. This will cause it load even slower but it will rebuild the cache by itself. If you run the game with -log command line, and then run the game in windowed mode, you can see what it is doing in the background by looking at the log, and you can see if it still does something (aka worth waiting), or just totally hangs.

You can make the game run in windowed mode by going to

C:\Documents and Settings\Hourences\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

UTEngine.ini

In notepad search Fullscreen=True and change it to False. Optionally change ResX and ResY a few lines below to make the window not cover your whole screen.

Accuphose

Sep 30, 2008
1) I have same Problem with panel into the screen (from Drummer), one button put down less and i play this level second time, all work fine
2) What its the point collect secret? I played this time Teotl I a II and i found 1 item (3 of 3)
3) What is advantage The Ball multiplayer game?
4) Interactive ambience - If i go to water, block me invisible wall...this is not good feel

But the mod is fantastic work, thanks you. Maybe is time to talk of making story. Yes all its better than stupid story..If you have interest, i cant help you...;)

EDIT: Its good idea making The Ball wallpaper? :p

Last edited:

Sanyika

May 8, 2009
The running-in-window thingy does not work, I see that it's loading, than stop, than black screen again. The last thing I saw in the log in the background was "Error sending test packet"
Now trying to bypass the menu and go directly to the game...
Well, that's not working either :(
This time, it's just crashed not froze. Log in the back: http://users.atw.hu/foundation/Upload/TheBallError.jpg

Last edited: