Diablo III

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They had to. Both D1 and D2 were hacked like crazy. The only way to solve the duping problems and all the other crap is to force it all online.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
efw0N.png

Credible or not, you know a few hundred of them at once can cause shit.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
efw0N.png

Credible or not, you know a few hundred of them at once can cause shit.
If this happens, I will be both really happy and super ticked.

Happy because maybe this will teach Blizzard to make their stupid game have an offline mode.

Ticked off because of the obvious.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
They don't like it. Described as a casual experience for the most part.

I wonder if most of those haters are food stockpilers uploading pictures of their computer next to the toilet seat, or is it the fanbois?
Lots of knee-jerk reactions from haters, yup!
My bet, more kiddies going to go to FTC... game is not to MY EXPECTATIONS... I am special and count more than every single customer... please fix game for me and me alone... fucking assholes..

Seriously Metacritic needs to disable user comments at least for a week or so after launch. Day 1 shit reviews from users are not helpful, just allowing trolls to be trolls and whining little cunts who can't deal with the fact that game is game, and games are not easy to make. Same assclowns post shit day 1 for most games, seriously if you are just on metacritic to be 0 posting troll on Day 1 launches your right to play games should be revoked.

Okay so the online on feature sucks.. Blizzard should have fixed that or removed it but just saying the entire value of the game sucks is uncalled for imo.
Oh man a game that has some controversy around it is released and people write dumb shit on user review sites? Quelle surprise!

Woah, woah, woah, chill people. You're calling them haters and stupid and getting all mad at them and yet look at yourselves. You're the ones who are getting all mad and being haters because of peoples opinions. What's wrong with a devoted Diablo fan being disappointed in the game because they alienated their fanbase and casualized the series, and then him expressing his anger healthily online?

I know I am definitely disappointed and angry if it's like how Slain explained. Of course I kind of expected it, because this is Activizzard and I played the beta. Oh well, shit happens.

Still, I'm sure you guys would be angry to if something you were a fan of suddenly alienated you and the rest of their fans. Look at UT3. Everyone here pretty much agrees it sucked and wasn't a good UT game, yet no one calls the people here haters, dumb, ect. :p

Just to clarify. This is an online-only game because it was built that way from the ground up.

When you kill a monster who lives on the server, that monster dies on the server, the loot it decides to drop lives on the server, you pick the loot up.. it goes into your character's inventory, which is stored on the server.

So pretty much everything that happens in the game is running and recorded on the Blizzard servers. There is no way to "remove" or "fix" the online requirement. The game is designed and built around it. It gives them extremely tight control of the content that is in the game and how players can interact with it.
Unless they have the server files, and host their own server or somehow found a way to emulate a server running offline... nope.

Like I said before, the whole game runs off their servers. You have to be connected.
Yeah to my knowledge there is currently no way to play it offline, due to exactly what Slainchild said. The game is basically WoW Lite in terms of architecture, and in some ways the graphics and art and gameplay as well. They locked it down to server-side because of the real money auction to prevent item hacking.

Sigh, wrong. They were able to take SC2 single player offline and they will be able to with Diablo 3 too. I give them about a week. Actually a couple days even. You people do realize there are illegitimate MMO servers for plenty of mmo games? There are illegitimate Diablo 2 online servers too. This will be much easier than that.

They had to. Both D1 and D2 were hacked like crazy. The only way to solve the duping problems and all the other crap is to force it all online.

No they didn't. They could have had it exactly the same as Diablo 1 and 2. All character and hosted games were always online in Diablo 1 and 2 battle.net mode. Dupes were really easy in Diablo 1 cause of bad coding and Diablo 2 it was possible through complex lag manipulation. They can just as easily find a way in Diablo 3 too. The always online thing is just some stupid form of DRM that will end up being broken in a couple days. Actually something I will give them is that people can play the game alone first and then not have to worry about making a new character when they want to go online, which was sort of a small problem is d1/2.

Bots, well those are even harder to control, so they will be coming back in full force too probably. Unless you have to type some captcha every dungeon. :lol:

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Unless they have the server files, and host their own server or somehow found a way to emulate a server running offline... nope.

Like I said before, the whole game runs off their servers. You have to be connected.

Give it a couple days and I guarantee you that there will be torrents. And Sleepyhead you do realize I was imitating the clueless idiot who thought the game couldn't be pirated right?

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Oh sorry, edited.

Edit: Hey, I heard buyers got "guest keys." Anyone know what they are? Maybe I can try out the game, cause I really don't know if I want to buy it. :lol: I love Diablo and all but, aauuugggg, blizzard has really gone downhill.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Oh sorry, edited.

Edit: Hey, I heard buyers got "guest keys." Anyone know what they are? Maybe I can try out the game, cause I really don't know if I want to buy it. :lol: I love Diablo and all but, aauuugggg, blizzard has really gone downhill.

It allows access to the first act basically. If nobody else does I can shoot you 1 via pm.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2562116 said:
It allows access to the first act basically. If nobody else does I can shoot you 1 via pm.

I think its just the beta content (up to skel king) but I'm not sure.

SleepyHe4d, sounds like you're not going to enjoy it no matter what, you are trying your best to dislike the game. Just leave it be... :lol:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I think its just the beta content (up to skel king) but I'm not sure.

SleepyHe4d, sounds like you're not going to enjoy it no matter what, you are trying your best to dislike the game. Just leave it be... :lol:

yes but my understanding is that he is the end boss of act I so basically why I said you get too play act I... course I haven't got that far yet.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2562120 said:
yes but my understanding is that he is the end boss of act I so basically why I said you get too play act I... course I haven't got that far yet.

He is most definitely not the end boss of Act 1, he is only the first mini-boss of Act1. ;)

edit: Beating skeleton king is basically the end of the game's tutorial section. Not enough to get a feel of the main game imo.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008

Trying my best to like the game actually, but you can't really force yourself to like something you don't I guess. :p

Hell, they even changed the genre of the game, you can't really call it an Action RPG anymore, it's more like an Action Adventure now. :lol:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Sigh. Americas server still down: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/status

Aaaand my characters have disappeared and don't want to come back on restarting the game. I guess I won't play for a little while then. :(

What is the moral of the story here kids?

Don't buy a game on launch day that
A. Requires authentication with a server and
B. Is a Blizzard game

I think a /nelson haha is in order

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Not going anywhere near this until the dust settles and it becomes at least playable, so I'll give this a couple of months and check it out.
Honestly don't know why people just can't hang on a bit and try their luck in a couple of days instead of stampeding all at once.
Servers are getting absolutely battered from all accounts.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Woah, woah, woah, chill people. You're calling them haters and stupid and getting all mad at them and yet look at yourselves. You're the ones who are getting all mad and being haters because of peoples opinions. What's wrong with a devoted Diablo fan being disappointed in the game because they alienated their fanbase and casualized the series, and then him expressing his anger healthily online?

Uh. Yeah, totally healthy and normal and not stupid internet nerdrage idiocy because they can't log in to their video game. It's like the nerdrage boycott of MW2 where everyone was playing the damn game.

Still, I'm sure you guys would be angry to if something you were a fan of suddenly alienated you and the rest of their fans. Look at UT3. Everyone here pretty much agrees it sucked and wasn't a good UT game, yet no one calls the people here haters, dumb, ect. :p

This may come as a surprise but plenty of people liked UT3 and some still play it. I had gripes about UT3 but I thought the core gameplay was fine and the main reason I quit playing it is because I really only played at FragBU and I was tired of getting completely murdered by people way better than me. I'm just terrible at video games.

Sigh, wrong. They were able to take SC2 single player offline and they will be able to with Diablo 3 too. I give them about a week. Actually a couple days even. You people do realize there are illegitimate MMO servers for plenty of mmo games? There are illegitimate Diablo 2 online servers too. This will be much easier than that.

SC2 doesn't have a real money auction house. It's not comparable. I'm sure people will try and reverse engineer it or whatever but that's going to be a while off and will be far inferior to the actual thing for even longer. I do not expect they will allow people to play offline.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Hoping everything is ironed out by the weekend

The weekend's going to be worse, it's when more people will have time to play.

Not going anywhere near this until the dust settles and it becomes at least playable, so I'll give this a couple of months and check it out.
Honestly don't know why people just can't hang on a bit and try their luck in a couple of days instead of stampeding all at once.
Servers are getting absolutely battered from all accounts.

Yeah why would people want to play a game they bought the day it's released? How stupid.