how make static mesh on 2k3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

madmoo

elite parkour ninja
Jan 29, 2006
i can do most things but i dont know how to make meshes. i got spawning cracked and i can inport meshes from other things and folders and such but i cant make them.
can any one tell me how?

madmoo

elite parkour ninja
Jan 29, 2006
wich is best maya, 3d studio max?
and r they free?
thankx 4 the help.
ones i get a good one i may need some more help.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Maya PLE should be packaged with UT2003.
You can use it to make meshes and import them into the editor, so they may be placed into your map.
If u are on a tight budget, I would recommend Milkshape3D if MayaPLE ain't your cup-o-T

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
Yeah ReD_Fist, those programs are quite expensive. The latest version of 3D Studio Max goes for around $3500. Maya Complete is $2000 and Maya Unlimited is $7000. It used to cost more than twice that, but I guess they dropped the prices a few years ago.

That said, Milkshape (Twrecks' recommendation) costs only $25 to register. And of course, Maya PLE is free. :)

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
didnt know Maya PLE was a free version , never tested it though :S

is he limited or something ? like number of use or import limit ?

hmm , looks like i will reinstall it to be sure :D

ArcadiaVincennes

Level Designer
May 20, 2004
Joisee
www.avld.org
Maya PLE is a stipped down verion of the standard Maya. It's free to download and use, and there are import plugins to get the materials from maya to UEd.

It's worth it to download and get a handle on a 3D modeling program
If you advance to skinning, tho, all your UV exports will have a Maya watermark on them.

It's definately worth getting to know tho.

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
ArcadiaVincennes said:
Maya PLE is a stipped down verion of the standard Maya. It's free to download and use, and there are import plugins to get the materials from maya to UEd.

It's worth it to download and get a handle on a 3D modeling program
If you advance to skinning, tho, all your UV exports will have a Maya watermark on them.

It's definately worth getting to know tho.

Don't use Maya PLE for creating Textures. Just for Mapping of Textures and/or UV Layout.

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
I'm not sure the PLE's are going to work with the UT2k3 version of UEd though. If UT2k3 includes Maya PLE(4.5 IIRC) and a PLugin and doesn't require you to Register it, you might be in luck. Alias required REgistration for Maya 5 PLE that was included with UT2k4, then just last XMas stopped issueing Registration codes. You might need UT2k4 to create your SMesh Package, then use the package with UT2k3, that *should* work.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
I tried maya for like 5 minutes, all i got was that stupid help database crap server thing.
and it forces you to install quiktime wich i despise.
Then the watermark thing, it's desighned for an apple computer first, and the layout and interface is yucky, but I suppose it could be usefull.

but it's for apple but made to work in windows and I couldn't make sense of trying to stop that blasted help server or whatever the hell they were trying to perform.
Regardless of that tut for not using the editor for meshes, hogwash, it depends , if someone can do great bsp archi, and then make ultra complex meshes ,sure get 3dmax,. But the trick to making meshes look good is making the brush look good first pretextured and merged and the mesh will still look smooth and nicely lit.
I never seen any mesh I made in the editor look bad as that tutorial looks,if i had ut04 installed i could prove it.
But for mesh handling a 3d prog is the way to go.

Last edited:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Blender3d is a great little tool that can make meshes for 2k3 and it free.:)
You can download it at http://www.blender.org

Also, there you can find tutorials that will help you learn to use it.;)

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
ReD_Fist said:
I tried maya for like 5 minutes, all i got was that stupid help database crap server thing.
and it forces you to install quiktime wich i despise.
Then the watermark thing, it's desighned for an apple computer first, and the layout and interface is yucky, but I suppose it could be usefull.

but it's for apple but made to work in windows and I couldn't make sense of trying to stop that blasted help server or whatever the hell they were trying to perform.
Regardless of that tut for not using the editor for meshes, hogwash, it depends , if someone can do great bsp archi, and then make ultra complex meshes ,sure get 3dmax,. But the trick to making meshes look good is making the brush look good first pretextured and merged and the mesh will still look smooth and nicely lit.
I never seen any mesh I made in the editor look bad as that tutorial looks,if i had ut04 installed i could prove it.
But for mesh handling a 3d prog is the way to go.

5 minutes eh, takes weeks to get the basics, but it's worth it.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
sandorski said:
5 minutes eh, takes weeks to get the basics, but it's worth it.

Well no I couldn't even get through to the program because it kept trying to log onto some help server or somthing like that.
Or when I went to help it said somthing like cannot find server or can't do whatever it was.
After allready being t'd off because it forces you to install quiktime I just uninstalled it after all that registering and everything.
Kind of like selling your soul and being forced to do things, then after that help problem I said screw it.
More like I was chained to it rather than it being usefull trying to get past the "help" thing.

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
ReD_Fist said:
Well no I couldn't even get through to the program because it kept trying to log onto some help server or somthing like that.
Or when I went to help it said somthing like cannot find server or can't do whatever it was.
After allready being t'd off because it forces you to install quiktime I just uninstalled it after all that registering and everything.
Kind of like selling your soul and being forced to do things, then after that help problem I said screw it.
More like I was chained to it rather than it being usefull trying to get past the "help" thing.

Your loss.