Terrain height

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FW|morpheus

Inconsistent
Feb 21, 2003
Slovenia
Visit site
I kind of hit the ceiling in my map, but simply raising the Z-axis limits of the terrain would alter stretch the terrain and I really don't want that. Is there a "harmless" way to increase the Z-axis limits of the terrain?

FW|morpheus

Inconsistent
Feb 21, 2003
Slovenia
Visit site
I'm saying that the terrain has a limit on how high/low mountains/depressions can be and I hit it(bad planning I'm afraid), but simply doubling(or something) the associated values in the terrain settings will mess up the existing terrain, so I need an alternative. :)

Last edited:
OIC. You're already at the max paintable height. Well you don't have to double the terrain scale. The terrain scale can be any number you want. Doesn't have to be powers of two, nor does it even have to be an even number. You can feather it up a bit w/o doing too much deformation to your existing terrain.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Yes but when I made my own grayscale heightmap,what should the matt value be,cause it was way to high,and waay to flatI am assuming 128 gray,but it didn't seem to act right either.

When you use UED to create a terrainmap, it asks you the height and the default setting is 32768. This is the equivalent of 50 per cent grey.
Now I have never measured how high or low you can get a terrain painted using UED at the default 64 terrain scale, but I KNOW it is not 65536 as you might guess from the default settings because I have just recently painted to the max height with a terrain created in UED which really surprised me because I was probably only 4096 above the initial 'sheet.' I do occasionally now bring in exported Terragen maps and those are ALWAYS insanely high and low. And I have to set the terrainscale Z to something as low as even 8 sometimes. So I am not sure what the rhyme and reason to the realation between shade variations. If you can perhaps try using curves (In PS) to adjust your output intensities and then just familiarize yourself with what 'looks' right you may just be able to develop a natural feel for freehand terrain map creation.
So in this long ramble, all I meant to suggest was using curves to adjust your maps :D

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Well yeah, I don't think there's a simple way, you gotta increase your z scale if you want more space to work with. Exporting your heightmap to photoshop and fidling with the contrast "should" work but photoshop doesn't support 32-bit grayscale images (which is the format of the heightmap) unless they changed that in a later version.

lewic

Mar 17, 2006
function Vector GetCollisionExtent ()
{
local Vector Extent;

Extent = CollisionRadius * vect(1.00,1.00,0.00); // 0x00000016 : 0x0000
Extent.Z = CollisionHeight; // 0x0000002B : 0x001A
return Extent; // 0x00000033 : 0x002A
}