Stuff you just bought thread V2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
What do you need 16 GB RAM for?

There have been times where I've had firefox, winamp, photoshop, illustrator, indesign, word, and acrobat all open at the same time. Actually, this has been happening a lot of late (my novel is an evil, evil creature). In these times, I have come to regret having only a paltry 8GB.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Sony Vegas will use up 8GB of ram in less than 30 seconds with 1080p video if I let it. I have to limit the program or else it'll crash the comp because it used up all 8 GB. I'm still using DDR2 and I'd buy more but the prices are so damn high wtf.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Sony Vegas will use up 8GB of ram in less than 30 seconds with 1080p video if I let it. I have to limit the program or else it'll crash the comp because it used up all 8 GB. I'm still using DDR2 and I'd buy more but the prices are so damn high wtf.
You need to switch to DDR3 man, it's cheaper than DDR2. :(

Also, be forewarned that Windows 7 automatically allocates roughly 50% any amount of RAM for faster usage. You could be running a server motherboard with 128GB of RAM and Windows 7 will show about half of it being used in the Task Manager, even if you're just sitting at the desktop. I doubt this is really related to Vegas crashing your computer though. Sounds like a memory leak in the software.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
You need to switch to DDR3 man, it's cheaper than DDR2. :(

Also, be forewarned that Windows 7 automatically allocates roughly 50% any amount of RAM for faster usage. You could be running a server motherboard with 128GB of RAM and Windows 7 will show about half of it being used in the Task Manager, even if you're just sitting at the desktop. I doubt this is really related to Vegas crashing your computer though. Sounds like a memory leak in the software.

I also am using DDR2 because of using the same mobo/ram/etc. on the last upgrade for purposes of being cheap. The thing about Win 7 and ram is that it relinquishes it. So you don't lose half of your ram to windows idle process: as soon as you need it for something like vegas, vegas will use it (and it will use it all).

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Guys don't get me wrong. I was just curious what Hunter does on the daily basis with his PC.

Mainly gaming but I have been now to crack out photoshop etc etc and do some Web stuff when I can't be bothered to get my MacBook Pro out.

It was also pretty cheap and as I want these bits to go for about 4 years (my old stuff did) I figured I may as well get it all now. :)

And, it's awesome! :D

I hope you're using Windows 7 64, as Windows 7 32 can only use about 3.5gb.

I'm well aware, I had 4GB before and have been running 64 bit as soon as I installed Windows 7.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
vx1dp3.jpg

AMD Phenom II x4 830 for $49.99

Replaced my dual core with this and holy crap the difference. It is 400mhz slower than my dual, but BC2 now runs solid 60fps compared to the 30's I was getting. Crysis 2 also saw a big jump and I am now getting the correct numbers that a lot of benchmarks have shown.

Best bang for your buck IMO.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Mainly gaming but I have been now to crack out photoshop etc etc and do some Web stuff when I can't be bothered to get my MacBook Pro out.

It was also pretty cheap and as I want these bits to go for about 4 years (my old stuff did) I figured I may as well get it all now. :)

And, it's awesome! :D

I'm well aware, I had 4GB before and have been running 64 bit as soon as I installed Windows 7.

That's some pretty intense photoshopping, then. I've been making A1-sized posters in PS/Indesign for years on 2Gb ram. Switched to 4Gb for gaming and some extra speed on big filter operations about a year ago, but other than that... I don't think I've ever seen it filled up except when I was running Solidworks, PS, Illustrator and Indesign at the same time. I think an A1 poster at 300dpi takes up about 200Mb. Of course if you're the type to use buttloads of layers then, yeah...

By the way, aren't you afraid that the speed of the memory is going to be the bottlenecking factor for longevity, instead of size? I think it's quite possible that the bandwidth of current memory is going to be too low long before you'll ever really need more than 16Gb.

Last edited:

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
By the way, aren't you afraid that the speed of the memory is going to be the bottlenecking factor for longevity, instead of size? I think it's quite possible that the bandwidth of current memory is going to be too low long before you'll ever really need more than 16Gb.

Not really. I'm not one to worry to much about RAM bandwidth etc. So long as the game runs and doesn't stutter I'll be fine. My old machine was 4-5 years old and I only upgraded because the CPU was hitting 100% usage in BF3 and getting close in others. RAM wasn't a problem.