Bulletstorm Didn't Sell So Well

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
According to an article on Destructoid, sourcing Kotaku, Mike Capps has said that Bulletstorm didn't sell very well. While no big surprise, it is still unfortunate. We didn't give Bulletstorm a score in our review, however both hal and I did find the game gorgeous and entertaining, knocked down a few rungs by some serious flaws and misses. If you can find the game under $20, you would be missing out to not get it.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Yeah, well that's the thing.
While I found it fun and amusing, there was basically no replay value except grinding XP to unlock insignificant visual customizations in the multiplayer. That fact made it impossible for me to recommend to any of my friends for the asking price of 60$, despite me getting the game for free. I would have been lying to myself if I said even once that it was a good deal. Technical issues I had not withstanding.

But for 20$ yeah.

RoadKillGrill

Got Lead?
Dec 11, 2004
rahkogen.net
I was disappointed not to see this game in the steam summer sale, was planning to grab if it showed up. Instead I for BFBC2 and New Vegas and War for Cybertron and a few smaller games so I'm tapped out for a few months.

I still do plan on getting it but after playing the demo and the fact that the multiplayer was not interesting it never seems like a $60 title to me $40 maybe but instead I bet on Brink and I regret buying that full price A LOT:mad:

I wonder how much worse it would have sold without the GOW3 beta tagged to it. To many GOW fans it was likely a $60 beta key that came with a free game much like Crackdown was.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The multiplayer in Bulletstorm is excellent. Anarchy is great.

Swanky

Natural Born Killer - Yoshi!
Jan 29, 2004
Germany
www.swankl.de.vu
Got the game for around 25 pounds, and yes I found it worth that money. It had been some time since I got my hands on something this fast and surreal, and gameplay is refreshingly different to all those run from a to b shooters. Visuals, both graphics and music are very good, bright and epic. Humor may not be everyone's favorite (wasn't mine), but it manages, and the character development is there. So basicly not much to complain about, maybe skillshots get a bit repetive here and there, and some are hell to figure out with a gamepad (since I got this one on console). For 20 bucks, get it, for 30, well at least think about it, especially if you love that oldschool gameplay feeling.j

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
In the case of Bulletstorm, I kinda wish there was a way you could mix controller + mouse
I hate using a stick for aiming, but I have enough buttons on my mouse to emulate an entire side of a controller
Triggers could be Left/RightClick, the ABXY with Mouse4/5/6 and Left/RightTilt and the stick down with MiddleMouse

Last edited:

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Great game in almost the same manner UT3 was some years ago. Fact is a lot of people dont't like it (same with UT3).
Behind all that constructive criticismthere is a lot of unreasonably whining and complaining. Forums are full of that. I bet Epic is almost sick of it which is sad cause that is exactly the type of game I personally like most.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
Great game in almost the same manner UT3 was some years ago. Fact is a lot of people dont't like it (same with UT3).
Behind all that constructive criticismthere is a lot of unreasonably whining and complaining. Forums are full of that. I bet Epic is almost sick of it which is sad cause that is exactly the type of game I personally like most.
yes people not liking a game is obviously a deficiency on their part instead of the game itself being lackluster.

I was going to pick it up, but after the reviews and only like 3 out of 10 people said it was really good, and buggy/technical issues, I just passed on it. I will pick it up when it goes on sale, but it just seems people are calling the game "meh". "Meh" isn't worth $60 imo.

I will pick it up for $20 though. Sorry Epic. The voice of the people is strong.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
This was kinda sad to hear. I thought they did an ok job promoting it. I'm starting to think that unless you're CoD or Halo you can't expect huge sales for a FPS game these days...

I was disappointed not to see this game in the steam summer sale, was planning to grab if it showed up.

Yeah that was a shame, especially seeing DNF getting the sale treatment and rocketing to the top of the best sellers list. Right now the price is $30 on Steam, they could've knocked $5-10 off that and gotten some good sales I think. I also thought it was weird that Epic was running a sale on the Unreal pack, but not their entire catalog which would've ensnared Bulletstorm as well.

My only complaints with the game is the control scheme didn't work well with me and the post-release support was really lackluster.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Tried the demo. Didn't like it much.
Extremely linear. No Z-Axis in the maps.
Telescopic FOV, annoying vignetting.

Very pretty though, I'll give it that.

... and the post-release support was really lackluster.

^ seems a constant in everything Epic has done since they went fully cross platform :(

Last edited:

jjensson

Apr 2, 2008
Yeah, not surprising. I tried it (on PC of course), after 2 hours i gave up and brought it back. Linear gameplay, no jumping (i couldn't even leave the path/street sometimes, are you kidding me?), WAY too much enemies and too little exploration, as a prev poster said - no vertical gameplay, FOV too narrow etc. In other words, console crap. And i loved the art direction and the graphics. But... just unplayable IMO.

Last edited:

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
Steam summer sale?It's looking like EA intends to keep as much as they can for Origin - and at full price too...for now.

This news coincides with Epic stating they've probably neglected their core franchise (UT).
Many hope whatever they do next they make PC their primary build. I guess a lot will depend on whether BF3 sells enough to justify that?

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Well it is currently 30 bucks on steam, which is the exact same price I paid for Painkiller Gold. Only difference is Painkiller Gold is roughly twice as long as this heap. Let me know when it drops another 10 bucks.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
When I first heard about bulletstorm, I thought that it was going to be a budget shooter. Then it came out and I saw it was a full AAA-priced title. I think the price put a lot of people off at first.