Imbalanced Rocket Launcher, YES or NO?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rocket Launcher, imbalanced or not?

• It's good the way it is

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • Only 1 Rocket with the current damage.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 3 Rockets but with less damage.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Just 1 Rocket with less damage.

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

J3FF

teH SEXiest man alive!
Jan 23, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
www.nimbleminds.eu
Hey guys,

I've been playing UT3 since the day it was released here in Germany, no doubt it's getting better and better with all the custom mutators and maps but I also here more and more complaints from my team mates as well as from opponents after a match about the (maybe) imbalanced Rocket Launcher.

Just to remind you guys the RL takes up to 100 health points per Rocket.

In my eyes that's quite alright BUT the fact that you can load it up to 3 Rockets at once (3 * 100 = 300) makes it extremely imbalanced.

Bear in mind a Sniper bullet takes 70 damage, a headshot 140 & even a headshot powered up with the U-Damage only takes 280 health points off of the enemy.

So now I'd like to know what you guys think about it.

PS: Yes, I know the Bio-Rifle takes a lot of damage as well but it's got at least some kind of ballistics you have to deal with.

SlipStreams_65

User Titles are Useless.
Dec 29, 2005
Kingdom of boredom
IMHO its fine the way it is. The converse to the high damage is the fact that you can easily kill yourself with the splash damage. Its one thing to fire triple rockets that do 300 damage, its quite another to land them on a target. If you have the skill to do that, then I think you deserve the kill. Also, its extremely effective against the heavier vehicles (bender, nemesis) since the ammo is much more plentiful than avrils.

The only real frustration is that theres a fairly common bug that means rockets sometimes dont register damage to the target, and the player can survive a direct hit. Ive had avrils do the same with mantas, though this is obviously more a coding issue than a balance problem.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
They shouldn't touch it at all. Now, with the Stinger's primary fire, is another story...

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Dude, did you play the original Unreal games? In the original UT there is rocketlauncher which can launch six rockets at once or grenades and it is even a bit faster than its counterpart from original Unreal in loading.

J3FF

teH SEXiest man alive!
Jan 23, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
www.nimbleminds.eu
Dude, did you play the original Unreal games? In the original UT there is rocketlauncher which can launch six rockets at once or grenades and it is even a bit faster than its counterpart from original Unreal in loading.

Yes, I did.

And I can tell you one thing: Back in the days of the original UT no one ever really used the RL! And no one ever loaded up all the rockets!

Maybe you are a casual gamer who mainly plays against bots or so but on a competeive level nobody ever loaded up rockets back in UT!

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Yes, I did.

And I can tell you one thing: Back in the days of the original UT no one ever really used the RL! And no one ever loaded up all the rockets!

Maybe you are a casual gamer who mainly plays against bots or so but on a competeive level nobody ever loaded up rockets back in UT!

Well, usually online when you load up all rockets tehre is a little time to do so, so maybe that is why.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Are you sure you played Unreal/UT? People used the Rocket Launcher ALL THE TIME.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008

Although I rarely saw someone charging the RL, in UT (and online) my visual was most of the time covered with rockets going from one side to another. Even to mine!

Yes, I did.

Quote of the year anyone? :lol:

Or just let the failboat carry on to the ocean?

Kno One

in particular
Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
Fixed :D

Back in the days of the original UT Kno One ever really used the RL! And Kno One ever loaded up all the rockets!

Nothing quite like dumping a full load from the 8-ball into a room full of people.

Last edited:

Banoffee

Armoured
Jan 20, 2008
UK
IMO

[serious]If you get killed by something like the Sniper, the reaction is usually "damn he's good". There wasn't really anything you could do to avoid it.

Get killed by a Rocket, and you blame the weapon. The enemy wasn't good, Rockets are too good right? No, it's a slow-ass projectile. You get hit by a Rocket and YOU made the mistake. YOU didn't move properly to avoid it. The died either because A: you play predictably or B: the opponent did a good job of reading you. Splash damage is needed to make it possible to kill with that weapon, and even then, the damage sucks.

And if you're the one getting tons of kills, you're a good player. That's all it is.[/serious]

Imbalanced? Depends on the level of play, it's the ultimate newb-killer. :p Fun to use too. I guess that's why it's popular.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
My only issue is the firing mode. 2k4 is better in this respect (hold fire to load and press alt for spiral) as it makes grenades pointless most of the time in such a fast paced game. Plus I miss killed players firing off any loading rockets.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
Yes, I did.

I can't believe in any way shape of form that you played the original UT on any level for any reasonable amount of time and made this statement.

I don't believe any other BuFer here that has been playing UT since the start would either.

Kind of makes any arguments are comparison you're trying to make regarding UT3 vs UT completely moot.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Maybe I should have limited the poll to competetive TDM players only .... too many casual public DM noobs posting here :lol:

I think you would find that there's more competitive UT players here than you realize. Some pretty damn good one's that I'd place some money on against just about anyone here.

Oh, and don't call people "noobs" here. It makes you look like a, well...

Anyways, consider that a warning. The thread is being closed due to uselessness and asshat antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.