TrackIR for the next-gen INF?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Buddz

Jan 4, 2004
Oldenburg, Germany
Hi,

does someone in here use TIR for other games? I don't have one, because I am a bit short on money (and need for it right now), but guessing from the description it would add a helluva to a future INF. Imagine not having an aim-key, but rather moving your head to center on the irons, or just checking sideways without rotating your torso.

Here is a link: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/
Oder die deutsche Seite: http://www.trackir.de/

Buddz

Jan 4, 2004
Oldenburg, Germany
Yea, they are really expensive for being essentially a better webcam which picks up IR lights... but hey, why not. At least it would be nifty if you could have it optional, or so.

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
By the sounds of it, it should work like a joystick it would just take x-y-z axis inputs and translate them into data for the game, or at least that's how I'd setup the driver for it.

jayhova

Don't hate me because I'm pretty
Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
I just started looking at these on the fight sim sights. They are very cool. The newest model offers 6 degrees of movment. This would totally be great for the immersion factor. Fewer keys to use and more freedom of movement. It would also make aligning sights more natural as you could actually tilt your head to move it behind the sights and move right or left to lean. You could lean forward to zoom in turn your head left and right to glance around.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
I'm not sure if I understood it right: This utillity tracks the movement of the head and translates it into e.g. mousemovement.?
So to look back in a simulation you don't have to move your head around but just a little bit - otherwise you could not watch the screen ;)?
Because I do not get the sense of this, if I move my head my eyes are not focused in the center of the display, yet the object I want to watch is in the center.
Maybe I misunderstood something. But if it really works it sounds nice. :)

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
Not exactly. A mouse only move in 2 dimentions the trackir will not only track head turns and up and down but movement left and right, in and out and tilting side to side. This is way more than a mouse could do. The problem is that the software needs to support all this. Here are some of the games that support this. Imagine if you will actually ducking your head to crouch or moving left or right to lean. Let's say you were firing a bipod weapon or a weapon resting on a surface like a crate etc., then you move your body to move your aim just like in real life.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
The question I have allthough is that - let's say it would be possible - you duck your head to crouch, now it is uncomfortable to keep your head ducked, so you move it up again to have a more comfortable position and to easier look at the center of the display, but then you won't duck anymore. The possibility I fear - I tried to explain in my last post - is that I am looking at the center of the screen, but if I turn my head - let's say to look back in a flight sim like IL2 - it will be uncomfortable to look at the center.

If I've no clue please point that out and try to explain it in *simple* :D words, because it'd be a shame if I'm misjudging this products whereas my fears are unfounded.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
oh man you guys are driving me crazy... damn i hate NDA's. I'd love to tell you what i got to see in action the otherday, but i can't.. sigh. Well all i can say is that jayhova is thinking ahead of the pack, and that holding a rifle for a few levels makes you sore.

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
mat69 said:
The question I have allthough is that - let's say it would be possible - you duck your head to crouch, now it is uncomfortable to keep your head ducked, so you move it up again to have a more comfortable position and to easier look at the center of the display, but then you won't duck anymore. The possibility I fear - I tried to explain in my last post - is that I am looking at the center of the screen, but if I turn my head - let's say to look back in a flight sim like IL2 - it will be uncomfortable to look at the center.

If I've no clue please point that out and try to explain it in *simple* :D words, because it'd be a shame if I'm misjudging this products whereas my fears are unfounded.

OK, Here is how it works. When you set up this thing you calibrate it to you so that you don't have to do anything extreme to get it to do what you want. If you don't understand what I mean you can watch the demo videos by following the link in my previous post. My assumption is that this will be optional for most things. That is to say if you want to lean lean keys still work but you can't just lean a little it's on or off. Same thing with crouch. Right now it's on or off. With this you could get down just enough so that you could see over the crate. Ok, these things are really hard to do without a head tracking device. The problem is that guys with such things will wipe the floor with guys who don't have this.

The really amazing thing is that you could do away with the whole Ironsight mode thing. You could just move your head to behind the sights. So your hands move the mouse (which becomes your virtual hands in the game) and your head moves your virtual head and the rest of your virtual body with the exception of your feet. INF is a simulator just like any other. If you look at some of the combat flight sims the HUD on the plane has to be aligned with your body in order to work. INF would be no different. Think of INF as the same as a flight sim or a racing game with the exception being that you are flying or driving a virtual person.

{edit}as far as crouching is concered, I don't think you are likely to be more uncomfortable than the INF guy would be crouching. Stop your belly aching soilder and get in there and fight. :)

Last edited:

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Why not just spend a little bit more and actually get inside the game instead of looking through a monitor window.

http://www.3dvisor.com/

Expect to eventually see an independent weapon/gun tracker to use in combination with these, similar to the old VR arcade games, but much improved ;)

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Silver_Ibex said:
Why not just spend a little bit more and actually get inside the game instead of looking through a monitor window.

http://www.3dvisor.com/

Expect to eventually see an independent weapon/gun tracker to use in combination with these, similar to the old VR arcade games, but much improved ;)

yep, very soon infact. =) Course the big question / problem for it is that in order to use a goggle / gun tracker to it's greatest potential is that the software has to be modded to make the most use of the hardware. Honestly it's not THAT hard of a mod... but That means in most cases your players won't be able to play with the vast majority of non-immersed players.. which might not be a bad thing, considering that some games HL2 or CS for example don't by default allow you to peer around corners.... or blind fire around them for that matter lol... so mouse/keyboard players tend to start screaming obscenities.. on the other hand your reaction time.. or the time needed to bring the weapon to target is much greater ( not only are you looking independantly of where your pointing your prop, but you still have to aim the gun.. meaning ironsighting for just about every shot. -- like i said you quickly learn that holding real steel (even without any recoil) makes you tired very quickly.

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
Silver_Ibex said:
Why not just spend a little bit more and actually get inside the game instead of looking through a monitor window?

The answer to your question is that the motion tracking in that device is not nearly as good. A 3d vision system is a good idea if is wasn't almost a thousand dollars which is more than 3 times as much and lowers the screen resolution significantly. Head mounted displays are typically expensive and not as high resolution as regular monitors.