56K Tech Wizards... help?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dora

Dec 31, 2000
Visit site
Hello PuF Folks--

I'm trying to set my pops up so he can play UT online... and I'm having some puzzling difficulty.

Although we're using virtually identical setups (his cpu is slightly faster), and I've used all the same modem and UT tweaks for his set up as I have for mine (mostly from 3D Spotlight), I can't get him to connect to many servers without experiencing a frustrating, soaring ping around action.

He can connect fine and his ping will hover around 200 as long as he's not around action. But as soon as he battles someone or gets involved in any interactive action, his ping soars (it soars from the 200-300 range to 5000-7000 then settles back down if he stands still and away from the action). I've never had such a problem with my system/connection.

I've wondered if it was his ISP, but browsing and downloading works fine and his pings to most servers are usually excellent (hehe... for a 56k, of course). Because it seems to specifically involve action within the game, I'm wondering if there's something within the game we can tweak to help things. I have tried varying netspeeds (between 2250 and 4250) with no luck.

I posted here instead of troubleshooting because people seem to respond really fast here and I'm heading back west soon so...

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated by my pops and me.

Muchas Gracias & the Happiest of New Years to Ya,
Dora_Flood@hotmail.com

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Do the modems connect at the same rate? Are you using the same OS?

3 things mainly effect a 56K ping

1) Phone line

2) ISP

3) Modem

If just one of these is poor your pings will suck. If all 3 are good, you can ping 120-150 like me :D. Are you sure he doesnt have a winmodem, that would explain why the ping shoots up when the action starts. A good hardware modem makes a HUGE difference.

Dora

Dec 31, 2000
Visit site
more variables...

Thanks for the reply, LK...

Modems do connect at the same rate (usually 49333 or above) and we're both using Win ME.

I just got him a new modem--the same I recently upgraded to because I got such great performance out of it (Diamond SupraExpress). It's not a Winmodem.

I think his ISP is good... all other uses seem smooth and fast... and his ping is usually pretty good when he first connects to a server.

I'm not sure about the phone line. He lives in pretty suburbia while I live in an, um, "rugged" apartment complex built nearly 30 years ago, so I would've guessed that he's in better shape than me... but who knows...

Hmmm... figured it would have something to do with compression because of the soaring ping with the action, but his config is exactly like mine (I think... *scratches head* ... better triple check). As long as he stays away from action (or does nothing but snipe from distance, lol), his ping stays good.

I really appreciate your thoughts, though... any more ideas out there?

Thanks again,
dora_flood@hotmail.com

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Hmmm, its probably not the modem, as I have a supra express pro, and I can sub 150. You could possible try a different ISP?, tho the phone line may be the cause.

You may want to try different modem tweaks, or none at all (I dont use any modem tweaks), then see how you ping. Modem tweaks can do more harm than good.