Spider Mines [trap]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Guess you havent played necropolis much then, when your main goal is to stop the flag carrier as you spawn in that ridiculously predictable spawn area, you dont have time to look at the floor and look out for spider mines. And while we are on the subject i think it was a ridiculous design decision to include a vehicle that can render itself invisable, then do it again later on down the line of the games lifespan. There was a reason why no other games dev included this design in there games.

Agreed.
Necropolis pissed me so much.

The design is poor and the balance is terrible. It's frustrating, all the games I've played in it online were unbalanced as well, always someone just ****ing around with the spider mines spawn killing, and the Nemesis.

The Nemesis is a perfect example of bad vehicle balance. Actually the Nemesis is probably the strongest vehicle for defense in VCTF next to DarkWalker/Goliath. Anyone who has minimal decent aim can pull off a rampage in Necropolis, even goalie with incoming longbows. I'm still surprised this vehicle haven't been nerfed one bit still.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
Spidermines are still the easiest method of racking up a Godlike/Massacre on any highly populated server. Heck, even in lower player count servers - Completely shutting down a spawn point, or disabling 1 player as he camps your nest with a weapon, is obviously too powerful for an item that only requires you travel to a location and LMB to accomplish.

Even the 2k4 Spider Mine Layer could at least have the mines negated by killing the guy shooting them. But that was an obviously flawed weapon since it made it rather obvious that it was a weapon that was being used in lieu of the other ~11 2k4 weapons designed specifically for killing people.

I'd much rather see a deployable that would support footsoldiers in the vehicle-centric gametypes than deployables that hurt them even more. But I guess making it fun for all players, instead of a select few, was not the goal here.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Agreed.
Necropolis pissed me so much.

The design is poor and the balance is terrible. It's frustrating, all the games I've played in it online were unbalanced as well, always someone just ****ing around with the spider mines spawn killing, and the Nemesis.
Actually, Necropolis is easily the best and most balanced of the original six VCTF maps. You just have to learn how to counterattack effectively.

Nightshades are easy to spot and easy to eliminate: even when "invisible" they're visible as long as you have distortion effects enabled, and they make a very distinct sound even if you don't pick them up visually. And on top of all that, you can simply wave your Avril around and find them that way. Once you've figured out where they are, it's an avril or two plus a few flak shots, dead.

The Nemesis is tougher to beat but by no means impossible. Even in its most advantageous camping spot, it can only cover one side of the field at a time, so run up the other, and either get above it and rain down flak/rockets or from a distance send it some late-locking Avrils (since direct oncoming avrils are easily shot down, fire initially at an angle and then lock on when they get close).

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
It's your standard Face/2Fort/whatever else map where the two sides charge at each other. Those sorts of maps are always unbalanced and dull.

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
I'd much rather see a deployable that would support footsoldiers in the vehicle-centric gametypes than deployables that hurt them even more. But I guess making it fun for all players, instead of a select few, was not the goal here.
Agreed, and I would go even further and say I would much rather see no deployables at all. I didn't like the deemer in 2k4 since it was a stupid tactics killer that just ruined gg's, and by playing exclusively on SW off servers problem was solved. UT3 need so many mutators to be fun, it's drenched in gimmiks and gadgets that has become essential parts of the game play. And plz, don't tell me "you have to learn how to use them lolol". A 6yo can figure out how to use them but it doesn't make it fun. In my book (and many others it seems) UT3 VCTF and WAR are total failures.

Sorry, haven't whined over UT3 for months and had to get it off my chest. =)

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
At least you had to take cover to keep from killing yourself with the redeemer. People thought the spidermine gun was lame so isn't this thing 10 times lamer. What next the anvil deployable that if you go near the thrown down devise an anvil falls from the sky roadrunner style and flattens you like a pancake. Come on Epic you use to come up with the coolest weapons. It's like your not even trying.

WildmouseX

Mar 30, 2004
If all these spidermines and other <insert random so called "cool" stuff here> are so great... ...why is this game so empty on a free weekend?

because epic screwed the pooch by making the game 360 friendly and in the process gave all the P.C. players the finger (without vasoline) and completely pissed off the exsisting U.T. community - so they're all playing ut-99, and 2k4 - and a free weekend is only going to grab the few scrubs on steam that never tried the game before.

WildmouseX

Mar 30, 2004
Spidermines have lost there original purpose which was an anti vehicle weapon, they are more like anti personnel mines now. What i would more like to see is that they attack the player but not explode, more like what the death animation implies, only dealing lighter damage but are more of a threat in swarms. To fulfill there purpose as anti vehicles mines they should emp explode much like the alt on the hammer, but doing greater damage to vehicles then they do now. Somewhat shifting the usage to more of a vehicular combat weapon much like the avril.

you didn't play vehicle CTF much in 2k4 did you? the mines were always placed on the flags to defend against on foot runners.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
Actually i only play vctf, and yes people did place them on the flag when the weapon was in the map, but they either get killed and the mines are destroyed with them or you just shoot the flag base before you get near it. Those solutions are worthess now with the current deployable.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
Ahah, i remember a mutator in UT2004 that allowed you to link your spider mines...inflating them !
You could get a spider mine big as a truck with a massive damage...
And you could even ride on it !!!!

Oh, i wished so badly to find it in the retail UT3 :D

I still can't understand why it's such a big problem. I played loads of Necropolis, and yes the deployables were part of the game, but it does not offsets it as you're describing.
Who got a Godlike with spider mines? I wouldn't believe it even if I saw a video !
I like to lame with the Nightshade, never got more than killing spree, and it takes ages of boring efforts. If I lame with the sniper rifle I get a lot more kills in a lot less time.
Nightshade is perfectly balanced and adds an interesting component to the game. Saying that "VCTF and WAR are total failures" it's just whining.
If you want to play competitive, do like I do, play iCTF.

Then I agree about adding a SECOND invisible vehicle, I really don't get the point of the Stealthbender. It's just a nightshade a little faster, but it works exactly the same!
Here i really have to think they added it only to be able to say "ehy, we have another new vehicle in the titan pack !"

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Ahah, i remember a mutator in UT2004 that allowed you to link your spider mines...inflating them !
You could get a spider mine big as a truck with a massive damage...
And you could even ride on it !!!!

Oh, i wished so badly to find it in the retail UT3 :D

I still can't understand why it's such a big problem. I played loads of Necropolis, and yes the deployables were part of the game, but it does not offsets it as you're describing.
Who got a Godlike with spider mines? I wouldn't believe it even if I saw a video !
I like to lame with the Nightshade, never got more than killing spree, and it takes ages of boring efforts. If I lame with the sniper rifle I get a lot more kills in a lot less time.
Nightshade is perfectly balanced and adds an interesting component to the game. Saying that "VCTF and WAR are total failures" it's just whining.
If you want to play competitive, do like I do, play iCTF.

Then I agree about adding a SECOND invisible vehicle, I really don't get the point of the Stealthbender. It's just a nightshade a little faster, but it works exactly the same!
Here i really have to think they added it only to be able to say "ehy, we have another new vehicle in the titan pack !"

The key difference is that stealthbender uses the new deployables. And the vehicle isn't new, it was supposed to be in game firstly..