What the UT series needs to come back?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jasposfagot

My opinion is My opinion, Yours is Yours
May 22, 2005
What UT3 needs to come back?

Just like the title says, What does UT3 need to bring it back from the dead ?

I say first, it needs a drastic turn around, those who are happy with UT3, whether it be 'living in denial' happy, or genuinely happy, may not think things need such a dramatic turn around, but those on the other end of the stick will have an entirely different view. Just ask the many people who simply can't even run the game, not because of any fault of their own, or that their PC is at fault, but because of bugs in UT3, or those who think that UT3 just plain sucks for whatever reason.

Whether this 'turn around' is in the form of patches, bonus packs, or a separate game (ala UT2003/2004), the much talked about UT3.5, I don't know, but i feel myself, after seeing how UT3 turned out as a whole, from the missing promised features, to the failure to implement the basic things required for a primarily online/multiplayer game, server browser, Linux ded server etc in the retail release, to all the other missing features, the beta demo disaster, to the launch itself and the lack of advertising.
[edit] and the single player campaign, whoever thought of including that needs to be put down, and their parents sterilized

There really seems to be a problem in the management of the game, which has really let it down. Some may say Midway, for forcing them to release it early, some will say it's the developing the multiplatforms simultaneously has caused problems, all of which may be true. But I think UT3 needs different people at the helm, those who are there now, have clearly shown, that they are not up to the task.

I would remove/replace Jeff Morris as producer of the game, I mean, he has already shown, that he couldn't produce a descent fart on a diet of baked beans, bring back CliffyB (as much as I despise him), or get someone else in, but get rid of the current producer.

I would also get rid of Mark Rein, getting rid of him might be a bit harder, but, he really doesn't have a good image in the eye's of people I know, and seems to come across as an arrogant wanker. I think Epic would be far better off without him. His presence, or lack there of, may not impact as much on the actual game as that of say a different producer, but I think it would help with the over all image of Epic/UT3, if he is to continue to present himself as the face, the spokesman for UT3/Epic.

I think there may still be a chance for UT3 (PC), but I don't think as others may, that we have time to wait for multiple patches etc (read a year or so), I think UT3's time is far more limited than that, and that a solution is needed relatively soon, or it's GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER, for UT3. (outside the few people that will stick with it no matter what)

:|

Last edited:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Didn't you make a thread like this already?

If you don't like it, get out of the UT3 section of the forum. It is pretty stupid to continue to go over something that everyone already knows. Why do you think epic bans people that complain over there? Maybe because people like you are only interested in complaining or feeling the need to report bugs that have already been reported 100,000 times before.

Do you really have nothing better to do then complain on a game you hate?

Last edited:

Perzy

Jan 24, 2008
Producers

I dont share the grim view of UT3 that you do. I think it's the best anyone could have expected.

But I see all these 'producers' and 'managment people' as THE problem.
Tim Sweeney made UT99, his name is all over the code (litteraly in the source code).
Companys have a nasty habit of being overtaken by accountants, over time.
The accountants analyze 'target ages' and **** and force all kinds of sh*t on the development to maximize profits.

I'm sure UT99 was developt by a bunch of programmers that simply did what they thouht was fun.
And everybody else (who dident buy the quake marketing) also liked it.

UT200X was just adopted to a market of 12-year olds. Crayon color and bouncing...

Tim S. now focuses on the engine, which he probably thinks is fun.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
What do you mean you don't understand?

I think he believes that your comment was used as a way to disagree with him, however when read literally it appears your comment is nothing more than a vaguely related personal anecdote, but the yawning emote suggests otherwise. I imagine that's why he didn't understand.

On topic though i think what UT3 needs, if anything, is the tweaking power of it's predecessors, customisability to be as user friendly as it used to be, skinning to be possible in a sensible manner, we don't mind writing a bit of code but not letting us use the original textures easily? Only letting us have custom skins via editting existing code that will hardly work online? It's useless, sint the first unreal every release has made skinning more and more complicated and, not necessarily via complexity but down to the innaccessibility to actually change things or add new things. Look at uPaint from UT2k*, a nice idea but wasn't finished on release and never touched again.

Bot management and so would also be nice along with voice pack dooberuss and the usual tweaking of personal settings..

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Unfortunately people who once created UT doesn't excist anymore :(

Guyver1

Sep 13, 2000
www.doazone.btinternet.co.uk
On topic though i think what UT3 needs, if anything, is the tweaking power of it's predecessors, customisability to be as user friendly as it used to be

+1

Also related to this.

Epic MUST stop enforcing restrictions into the default game. Back in 99/2000 i dont ever recall a game with so many restriction, such as fov restrictions, no dropping of weapons etc, no doing this, no doing that. Epic seem to think that its their job now to tell people how to play, its not, its their job to design the game and stick in a 'sensible set of default values for the beginner/default player'. Its upto us then how we choose to play on our setups, its then upto the compeitive community/league organiser to enforce a set of rules (maybe with a mod) for competitive play. Its upto server admins to enforce a set of policies for playing on their servers if they so choose. But the choice should always be there in the first place.

If you own a triple head 2 go then you should be damned entitled to play with a fov of 140-150, i remember shed loads of people playing UT back in the day on a good ol square crt with fovs of 110+ me included.

the more you try and tell/enforce people 'how' to play the more people you will alienate. UT has always been about customisation. until now :/

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Aren't you the same person who did that hilarious thread in the BU Talking section? :eek:
I miss customizability.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
it needs to be renamed and try to be very different in design than any other UT.
it would be UT, but known as OMGL33TARENAFPS. the game wouldn't have so high expectations and would have a huge success.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
My gut tells me that the UT franchise, at least as a PC shooter is dead. There might be future console ports that bear the name "Unreal" or "Unreal Tournament" but they won't be deserving of the name.

UT3 might be the end of the UT franchise because it represents a sea change in Epic's game design philosophy. This isn't a case where Epic had good intentions and got the chemistry of the game play wrong. Rather, in this case Epic botched non-game play features whose need and importance are very obvious in spite of their having gotten them right in the past. UT3's server browser and user interface are so blatantly featureless and almost non-functional that it's almost offensive and I can understand why many people regard the game as a laughable joke. Perhaps it's excellent by console standards, but it's god-awful by PC standards.

I think that the warfare game is excellent and that it should be one of the top games right now. However, even though it's the most popular UT3 game type, it still isn't drawing in even medium-sized crowds of players. Perhaps 300 people play it online during prime time and maybe 50 in the middle of the night.

To those of you who enjoy playing UT 2004 and even UT99--enjoy the games and the company of the people who play them now because when the activity on theses games is gone--they're (these games are) gone. It's possible that we might never see another online mutliplayer FPS game like UT99 or even UT 2004 in our lifetimes.

(Hope my sig shows now that I've edited this.)

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT needs people to stop whining all the time and play the game instead.

[KBEC]MAJ

Oct 18, 2003
Montreal
www.clankbec.com
Do you really have nothing better to do then complain on a game you hate?

You see, I understand jasposfagot and I agree with him. I've been playing UT since the beginning, I love this game. In fact, it's the only FPS I play.

So saying: "Hey, stop playing dude, go play somethig else instead complaining" it's like saying: (to me): stop playing FPS, and I wont because I want to see UT franchise continue living and be a strong game. I'm addict to this game and it's frustating to see how EPIC don't care or do nothing about this situation.

I will continue playing and hoping to see some major changement in the next weeks.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Prime whiner jasposfagot... He trumphs T2A'!

So what you're saying is: "Hey you've made a bad product let's fire all of you and hire new folk. Then we can have a good game ay?"

So you're blatantly just blaming the folks responsible for a mediocre game and more so a great engine, for a mediocre game that your little faggotassed ut2kx whineyfaced dumbass couldn't really comprehend! And your constant need to whine about it is just pathetic. We have T2A' to do that for us in his lovely sarcastic way, you're just an idiot.

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
jasposfagot said:
BuF - Epic Games Forums MkII
"We don't just delete or lock negative threads, we throw them all into a generic UT3 Whine thread, were they will be so mixed up with other stuff as to lose all meaning and context" Hows that for getting the job done while saving face?

This part of your signature suggests that you are trying to defend your title: "asshat of the year". :hmm:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
[KBEC]MAJ;2066184 said:
You see, I understand jasposfagot and I agree with him. I've been playing UT since the beginning, I love this game. In fact, it's the only FPS I play.

So saying: "Hey, stop playing dude, go play somethig else instead complaining" it's like saying: (to me): stop playing FPS, and I wont because I want to see UT franchise continue living and be a strong game. I'm addict to this game and it's frustating to see how EPIC don't care or do nothing about this situation.

I will continue playing and hoping to see some major changement in the next weeks.

Yes, the way they have handled this game was horrible, but complaining does nothing at all.

In this thread he goes a step farther then that and starts to dig into the people that work at Epic while acting like he knows what they go through to make a game like this. Which to me at least makes it clear he has no idea what they really do over there. I don't know about you, but going around saying this guy or that guy should get fired when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about is uncalled for.