The REAL damage that the aimbot has done...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
oh, and what's worse is that the new elfbot will use 'smooth' movement, so it actually looks like you're playing too. So this will render just about any demo useless for judging...
here is an excerpt from their (nasty) website:
Wtf is [IM]ElfBot?

[IM]ElfBot is an AIMBOT that will allow you to cheat on probably any current UT server. [IM]ElfBot is not like bots of the past though, it's the first public bot(to my knowledge) that tries to compensate for lag and actually does a pretty good job doing so . [IM]ElfBot also has some other never before seen feature such as smooth aiming(yes now you can go somewhat undetected by other players...) and a feature to allow you to always make combos with the ASMD. And also, to quote a good friend of mine "[IM]ElfBot represents the best line of defense against people looking to have fun by ruining yours"...

"[IM]ElfBot represents the best line of defense against people looking to have fun by ruining yours"...
what the ****? That should read more like:
"[IM]ElfBot represents the best line of offense against people looking to have fun."...

wankers

oh yeah, and I get blamed too, a bit sad, I know, but true

[TBUK]Drunk

pacman

Jun 2, 2001
Birmingham, UK
Visit site
just dreaming

perhaps, just perhaps :)

The X-box + Unreal Championship + X-box only servers = UT gaming without Aimbotters.

Could be like starting afresh ? All skilled players would own once again, all Aimbot users will have to aquire skill all over again

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Little does pacman remember that Unreal Championship is NOT UT, so it doesn't help our current situation...

...also, the Xbox will have a hard drive to save stuff on, so, combined with Internet access, it won't take long for someone to hack out a cheat for UC...U2...UW... :(

But here's a thought: could the number of aimbots and the continued enhancement be a measre of UT's true popularity?

Athlon_2o0o

Apr 17, 2001
You can always see who is using an aimbot now. The elfbot should change it, but I don't believe in it that much, how can you create it?

Alcom

Experienced fragee
Aug 1, 2001
Kelowna, BC Canada
Visit site
Anyone Have Problems with CSHP?

I can't seem to connect to most servers anymore and I think it's CSHP. Sometimes when my connection fails (immediately after entering if at all) the console pops up and I get a message about "unidentified hack. Please remove it and come back". The thing is, I don't cheat, and if I have one, where would it be?

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I got this the other day when I was on a US server. Kinda funny how I was really using only combos and rockets, with a 300+ ping. I think a few of them started accusing me in the end, but I got a shot of one guy who amused me.

cheat.jpg

Aimbots are much rarer than people think, and so this problem results.

ben harkins

Mar 29, 2001
Visit site
Could be your on a mac or linux and this is an older version CSHP that had a bug that kicked said users. Your right, it is one or another of CSHP bugs, hard to know which. unfortunately there's really nothing to do about it except email the admin or choose a different server. Why did you dig up this old thread? just start a new one Okay? Preferably in the troubleshooting section. Hope some of this helped. Out.

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
A while ago, I got lucky and put away a good bunch of people with an amped rifle (it was on a clan ocra server), and immediately several people accused me of using an aimbot, including a member of clan ocra who had admin, logged in and kick/banned me.

That's even worse than using an aimbot.

From now on I stick to servers where people know me (or z2).

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
Yeah I aggree, this is a big problem with people accusing others of cheating when really they arent.

best thing to do is just say your not cheating and unless you can back it up then please be quiet and ignore it then on.

QuietMan

Dec 17, 1999
go.to
Actually there is a really easy way to show you are not aimbotting and it is related to taking Demos. Everyone who plays UT a bit knows about the challenges that demos present because of the way the engine checks your "serverpackages" and "serveractors" well more than that it checks to see if your files match.

What this in effect means is that if someone uses a aimbot that is inside a modifed utmenu.u (as they nearly all are) you will not be able to replay that demo unless you have the same modified utmenu.u. Of course lots other packages will prevent you from watching a demo as well but but simply reading the "unrealtournament.log" will tell which ones so you can get or request from the demo recorder.

The Australasian clan league (Clan League of Oz UT - CLOUT) has introduced a system where all players are required to record demos and then, in the same way with sport drug testing, random players are required to upload the demos for officials to test. Onus is on the players not to have obsucre packages installed but if they do they must submit them for testing.

I know in a casual game this isn't much help but if you are playing a 1v1 you can ask beforehand for the person to record a demo...if they refuse (and they mightn't know about the demo test) it could be preformance issues...but if they happily send one then you can be pretty sure if it plays for you they are not cheating (provided your not cheating or using a modified UTmenu yourself).

The wonderful TTM mod actually has an option to force clientside demos! (It automagically saves using consecquitive numbers (just be aware some user names containg Windows/DOS wildcard symbols will not work) and this has been selected for use in all offical CLOUT matches.

I haven't seen a cheat yet that beats this little test presumably because the bot writers haven't got around to it...I watch the cheats boards and will change the rules when they do tumble. (and I hope a cheat or two read this ...because sunshine you are found out :) ...get some morality and or manners and come back later).

I know it is extreme but it works...

Quietman
Admin team
CLOUT

ben harkins

Mar 29, 2001
Visit site
Well, I guess it's a nice idea but rediculously impractical for anywhere but league play. Plus the fact that most people at least have the remnants of one or two mods still laying around in their folders and even in situations where people are not being tested and are just sharing demos it is often a difficult undertaking. To demand this of anyone before you have a match with them would not only take a hell of a long time but frankly, would piss me right off, if it was demanded of me. My answer to that demand would be "why don't you go demo my big white butt instead." :D

Gamma_Sword

Terrible, Terrible Damage!
Feb 12, 2001
Not There
Hey, Quiet, that's pretty good idea... I never thought about it before... it can work, except people still has to test out demos from everyone to see who's cheating and who's not... :(

Maybe if they have auto-test and log function, that might work.

QuietMan

Dec 17, 1999
go.to
As i say its pretty extreme and yes it requires people to test it and that's why it does suit leagues where you have admins who will test it.

I didn't say it was perfect by any means but if someone accuses you of botting you can prove your innocence if you stick to your boy scout (Do yanks have scouts?...i think you call them something else) principles of "Be prepared". Simply record a demo for 10 secs...thats all that is required provided you stay in the game on the same map and don't disconnect (it isn't possible to swap out your utmenu for a clean one without restarting UT), because you are just checking the demo will play not the content. Obviously is someone takes a small demo and then disconnects and reconnects they would have to take another small demo.

BTW littl Darlin, I think its reasonable to ask, if you don't then just don't expect to get any respect from me for your skills . I just won't take that game with you too seriously, just like lots of games I play, this is more for people who want to take their games seriously. As above all it requires is a 10 sec demo (provided you stay connected) to prove your clean...that amounts to less than 100kb and offer to send it them. That isn't a huge impostition really.

Helios

Jan 13, 2001
UK
www.rib-ticklers.com
10 sec Demos.... cool idea...

:D I love the idea of 10 sec demos to stop aimbotters - certainly for leagues that will solve the problems!!

As for the earlier comments about finding a nice friendly server - I couldn't agree more - there are a few pools of sanity mixed in amoungst the UT servers - hopefully they will propergate so that we can all have good clean fun....

Oh, and insert an original 'Death to aimbotters' message here - I can't be arsed to think of something atm :p

Cheers,

Helios

ben harkins

Mar 29, 2001
Visit site
BTW littl Darlin, I think its reasonable to ask, if you don't then just don't expect to get any respect from me for your skills . I just won't take that game with you too seriously, just like lots of games I play, this is more for people who want to take their games seriously

I'm sorry, but do you understand the irony of posting this statement in this thread? The whole point of this thread was that the real damage that the aimbot has done is that no one trusts each other, and that everyone is constantly making snap judgements that someone else is Abotting with no real proof. So basically your saying, I assume everyone is an abotter until they prove to me they're not. I don't know, I guess you are entitled to your opinion but myself, I choose to trust people until they prove untrustworthy, and from my experience the percentage of people who are actually abotting is so small that it really doesn't justify this kind of general distrust. If you're idea of "serious gaming" is that you are so worried about people cheating that you demand that people prove themselves before you will play with them, then maybe you have forgotten what the words gaming and play mean, i.e. this is supposed to be fun. :)

QuietMan

Dec 17, 1999
go.to
Originally posted by little darlin

I'm sorry, but do you understand the irony of posting this statement in this thread? ...maybe you have forgotten what the words gaming and play mean, i.e. this is supposed to be fun. :)

Well it just confims the thread rather than being ironic but I get your meaning. I meant this more for people who are accused rather than accusing. If your just playing for fun, then as I say it won't be needed because as long as you are enjoying yourself who cares if you or others are botting. Some people seem to think they need to ensure a level playing field before they can have fun...more fool them :)

ben harkins

Mar 29, 2001
Visit site
ummhh, yes, and that is why it's ironic my friend. You unintentionally confirmed all the problems that this thread was referring to. that=Irony:D

Ninja_freak

Katana Krazy
Jul 5, 2001
Winchester
Visit site
A n00b's point of vIeW

Having only played UT for about 2 months and having read all of this Aimbot crap I can honestly say that it has crossed my mind more than once that I think other people may have been using Aimbots.

Now that I am up against Xan and finally getting good enough not to get my ass kicked (still have yet to win, best score 15-13) straight away I know that I was probably wrong.

As a gamer that plays for fun (remember that?) :) , I couldn't be arsed to ever accuse someone but it is frustrating knowing that these things exist and that people are lame enough to use them.

I say yes, Aimbot has ruined it for all of us. I wonder why it was even included in the options in the game? What a stupid idea..

Anyways I'll let you serious gamers get on with it.. Hey, does HalfLife have Aimbot problems too??

I'm a FrEAk!

Entropy|BuF

Telemundo
Does Half-Life have aimbot problems....DOes Half-Life have Aimbot problems. ummmm, hellz yeah it has probles. Its probably way worse in CS. It a real shame, I've been called a cheater many a time. They have Punkbuster which is pretty effective but not 100%. But i usually give epople th benefit of the doubt.
I play on a LAN anyway. It has 3 32player CS servers. there no way to cheat except look at other person screens. Even then it doesnt help much. Besides you can tell when someone looks at your screen.