It IS fun....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Last I heard a mod version was released. Seriously, if a gametype is wanted back badly enough, it will find its way back via mods and mutators. There's no excuse.
Far to late for a mod when 99% of the AS community moved on after the disastrous release.

Also, for people saying the AI is dumber than in UT2k4, there's no way. They might be the same in both games on the same gametype, but they REALLY improved the intelligence in Warfare compared to how they acted in Onslaught. In VCTF, though, the bots in UT3 had a tendency to hop on a hoverboard and just sit there, but that mainly happened only on custom maps.

Also, if UT3's AI really isn't smart enough for you, you can use Mapmixer to modify the bot to act VERY similar to a human player, such as upping the strafing, dodging, and jumping frequency to make the bot less predictable, increasing the accuracy and reaction time to make him more formidable, even adjusting his combat style so that he could either choose to stop and camp with a sniper or head directly for the action. All someone needs to do is release a mutator to change these values according to the situation (such as upping Dodging when going against a spammy player, decreasing accuracy when he turns too quickly, lowering reaction time when nothing happens for a long time, etc. etc.) and you will have a nearly human-like bot I bet.

Last I played the campaign, i dreaded WAR maps because I knew the bots would steal the Orb. Unfortunately, the Orb is very much needed in single player. On that note, the orb made War far worse than ONS

As for map mixer, i don't think a mod should be required for a game to be fun to play.

PS
I have UT3 installed through Steam. I will try it again, but I am sure it will let me down again.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Yeah, Warfare's probably the only team gameplay that hardly feels like a team event. The others, like VCTF, CTF, Team DM, etc...are all pulled off pretty darn well, if you ask me.

Last I played the campaign, i dreaded WAR maps because I knew the bots would steal the Orb. Unfortunately, the Orb is very much needed in single player. On that note, the orb made War far worse than ONS

Those are a couple of the reasons why the Warfare gametype was not a good single player or offline game. The bot AI for warfare had several huge problems in the original release. Some stuff was tweaked, but little was fixed proper. The bots really do not have a clue about warfare. They take vehicles and then abandon them for the enemy to use or they get them stuck. They do this all the time. Bots do best when set to skilled or masterfull. Anything lower and they do really stupid stuff all the time. Any higher and they cheat. They no longer even have to aim the weapon at you to hit you. A tank can shoot you without the turrent even aimed at you. They steal the orb and take the scenic route to the node, sometimes circling it before they cap it.

All the bot problems are gone when your online with real players and noi bots. Warfare online is loads of fun, but not with the titan mutator. Warfare servrs should never have bots set to anything below adept in order to minimize bot issues.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I've been playing warcarzzz offline for the past week trying to get the stupid achievements for the orb, avril and Connect the Dots. I managed to get the avril one and the orb Hero one but ffs the bots are dumb.

I originally had them on Adept and it wasn't even fun they were so easy, they had no idea wtf they were doing 99% of the time and that allowed me to get godlikes. I even upped the skill level to Masterful and all that did was make their aim better with the link gun and have 200% accurate in the turrets. Basically, the only time they actually gave me a problem was in when they managed to remember to use the turrets. They could hit you from across the map even though you just walked out from behind a rock. Other than that, the bots did absolutely nothing but die on both sides. When the bots pick up the Shaped Charge or the Link Generator, it's like the AI shuts down. They will run around, run right up to you and just stand there holding the deployable, and yes, I'm talking about the enemy team.

My team mates would get stuck on rocks, walls, carzzz, jump pads, swim around in circles in water, stare at walls and fire link guns, get into tanks and fire at walls, block my way but hoping up and down on the skateboard, block my way with the carzzzz, block my way by becoming a large clump of bots just standing in a group, waste the Levi by driving it to some random place that no nodes or people were and fire at walls, they would all try to jump on a jump pad at the same time, constantly knocking each other off the jump arc causing them to fall and get hurt, they'd continue to do this until one of them died from falling, need I go on? The bot AI is horrendous in War, they can't do anything right except fire with 100% accuracy on you in the turrets.

Even the maps are extremely buggy. I found so many invisible meshes that stick up from the ground that prevents you from walking over what should be a flat surface or when you try to dodge, you hit the invisible mesh and you fall off a platform. I also managed to get stuck on rocks, trees, walls, meshes, carzzz and other various decorations. Sometimes I could feign death and escape alive but most of the time I'd end up dying from feigning. But TBH I don't like floating in the air and not being able to move.

If I ever play offline it's usually CTF or DM to learn maps better and I didn't think there were any serious bugs in the game offline, but I've completely recanted that statement now that I've tried this. War is the worst gametype I've ever played offline, it's so buggy and the bots are just useless.

Matt, don't even bother trying War, it's not fun at all. :c

Last edited:

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
When the game was first released with all the original issues in warfare, it's no wonder UT3 disapointed many UT2K4 onslaught fans. The game type needs to be a good offline or single player mode in order to build a large online community, It never happened, even after 5 patches. Epic fixed the easy stuff I guess, but did little to fix the major issues. After each patch the community shrank as the bugs remained. Then they released the titan without fixing any of the major known issues. That is when we saw the final large scale exodus of the warfare clans.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
As for map mixer, i don't think a mod should be required for a game to be fun to play.

Are you serious? THAT'S THE POINT OF MODS. Also, genius, you can turn the damn orbs off with a mutator. Didn't know that? Now you do.

And holy damn people, are you sure you didn't glitch the games yourselves? Not once had I had such terrible AI problems with UT3. It looks like you're looking for the glitches instead of playing the game.

Finally, you hate the game, yet you still downloaded it. If you hate the game, just stay off of it and don't bother playing it. It's the same game from before.

Blah Blah War sucks

Hey, guess what, UT2004 bots do the same thing with me. I know how you feel with Bots that don't know how to use Leviathans. The only thing is I've never had the problems you had with UT3. Invisible meshes? Getting stuck on decorations? You're making me feel like I've never played the game, because I'm imagining the levels with horrible bots and getting stuck on invisible meshes like I imagine the scenarios in a work of fiction.

Now I'm convinced that you guys are intentionally looking for glitches. Either that or I am extremely optimistic.

And speaking of bots, beating the stuffing out of them is where the fun of UT3 is for me. There's something about launching a flak shell and hitting a bot dead in the face with it that's really satisfying. I can't do that online, which is why I don't play it that often.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I agree with KillerSkaarj there. I never had such problems (but JD's post + fitting music from my WMP playlist gave me a good laugh :D ), and WAR offline is one of my favourite gametypes. And yes, it is fun to kill bots and not being some kind of competitiveness hog.

And yes, mods are supposed to enhance the game. MapMixer enhances UT3 as much as it enhances UT2004 and UT2003 (and UT1, talking about XMaps). Unreal Engines are all about mods, if you want games that don't have or need mods, go play on consoles. For me, diversity is very important, and that's where MapMixers help me a lot - every match is unique because I get random mutators on every time. Thus infinite replayability.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Are you serious? THAT'S THE POINT OF MODS. Also, genius, you can turn the damn orbs off with a mutator. Didn't know that? Now you do.
The point of mods is to make the game playable and fun? It is not supposed to be fun with out it? Wow, all the other classic games that got it right w/o mods must have had it wrong. And hey, genius, can you use a mutator to turn off the orb in the campaign, which is what I have been taking about from the beginning?

And holy damn people, are you sure you didn't glitch the games yourselves? Not once had I had such terrible AI problems with UT3. It looks like you're looking for the glitches instead of playing the game.
Well, seeing as you mostly play against bots and have admitted you don't play online, maybe you just have low standards.

Finally, you hate the game, yet you still downloaded it. If you hate the game, just stay off of it and don't bother playing it. It's the same game from before.
So you are saying the the patches have in no way made this game better? And since the game is mine, I am pretty sure I have the ****in right to install it when I want, stfu.

Hey, guess what, UT2004 bots do the same thing with me. I know how you feel with Bots that don't know how to use Leviathans. The only thing is I've never had the problems you had with UT3. Invisible meshes? Getting stuck on decorations? You're making me feel like I've never played the game, because I'm imagining the levels with horrible bots and getting stuck on invisible meshes like I imagine the scenarios in a work of fiction.
Some people are more critical. Playing offline, you may not notice as much

Now I'm convinced that you guys are intentionally looking for glitches. Either that or I am extremely optimistic.
JD both clanned a lot and played in ladders and leagues, we do look for these things. Me especially since I played assault and that is all about loop holes.

And speaking of bots, beating the stuffing out of them is where the fun of UT3 is for me. There's something about launching a flak shell and hitting a bot dead in the face with it that's really satisfying. I can't do that online, which is why I don't play it that often.
To each there own, I would rather get stomped by Nox and only get one lucky kill with a spectacular bio shot than from nailing a brain dead AI using an aimbot and radar. Mind you, that is for each UT, but UT3 is the worst with UT99 being the best.

need mods

Really? I have been on the PC since '92 playing games and I have only used mods to any real extent with UT99 and 2k4, but I also played those games to death with no mods, they whre good on their own. 2k4 AS didn't even adopt UTComp or any new maps until 2006

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Really? I have been on the PC since '92 playing games and I have only used mods to any real extent with UT99 and 2k4, but I also played those games to death with no mods, they whre good on their own. 2k4 AS didn't even adopt UTComp or any new maps until 2006

You're missing out a lot, then ;)

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Also, if UT3's AI really isn't smart enough for you, you can use Mapmixer to modify the bot to act VERY similar to a human player, such as upping the strafing, dodging, and jumping frequency to make the bot less predictable, increasing the accuracy and reaction time to make him more formidable, even adjusting his combat style so that he could either choose to stop and camp with a sniper or head directly for the action. All someone needs to do is release a mutator to change these values according to the situation (such as upping Dodging when going against a spammy player, decreasing accuracy when he turns too quickly, lowering reaction time when nothing happens for a long time, etc. etc.) and you will have a nearly human-like bot I bet.

That function was present since Unreal, it auto adjust the mods based on skill you just need to enable it. But mainly all it does is raise skill I believe, not the individual statistics, but it shouldn't be hard to make.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Unfortunately bot skill auto adjustment never worked correctly in Unreal and UT. One match the bots are set on Novice, the other they are set on Godlike, and there was never anything in between. In UT3 you can use the handicap mutator for something like that, although that doesn't change the skill of the bots.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Here is the bug list and detailed info on them.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=627215

That list doesn't include the glitches I found. Like the titan linkgun or stringer appearing sometimes, or the stuck linkgun firing sound, if lag happens or fps drops, also the not making optional some 2.0 changes which should be optional. Plus other things which I don't remember right now which I posted at the thread at beyondunreal here.
Although personally these were the glitches I encountered most and not the ones listed in that thread.

Like here, there were two threads by me about glitches in past, this is the one with suggestions:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=184123

Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
The point of mods is to make the game playable and fun? It is not supposed to be fun with out it? Wow, all the other classic games that got it right w/o mods must have had it wrong. And hey, genius, can you use a mutator to turn off the orb in the campaign, which is what I have been taking about from the beginning?

No, it's so they can take up disk space. YES THAT'S THE POINT OF MODS. It is fun already without it, and "all the other classic games" had just as many mods as UT3 does now. If you find the game fun without mods, then you might as well have gotten the console versions of those games. And hey, brainiac, nobody's forcing you to play the campaign. If you wanna know what happens in the campaign, Malcolm's teamed up with the Necris and everybody but Reaper dies. There. Seriously, if you want a good campaign, just go back to UT2004.

So you are saying the the patches have in no way made this game better? And since the game is mine, I am pretty sure I have the ****in right to install it when I want, stfu.

Are you seriously telling me you're just now patching the game up? If that's the case, then you have no place to talk about how glitchy the game is.

If you don't think games need mods, then stick to consoles. How you played those games for so long without mods is beyond my grasp. And like GreatEmerald said, you are most certainly missing out.

And good god, I didn't know it was socially unacceptable for a game to be fun. Maybe I would rather kill aimbots than human players. Is that so bad?

If a normally popular server is empty and only has bots going, what is he supposed to do?

I dunno, a normal person would disconnect and find a populated server.

Last edited:

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
I deleted my post after thinking about it more and realizing that you reading comprehension skills are to low to talk to you. It is very obvious that you only play single player for the most part, and quite frankly, you are just like Anuban. I will part you with, a game should not NEED a mod to be fun or playable, a mod should enhance an already good game. UTComp took 2k4 to another level, made it an even better experience.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
By your theory, i should never buy a game until it has been released long enough for some guy in his house working for free can make the game fun because the developer blows.

No, you should buy it when the developers release the final patch. That way you will save a lot of money, too.