It IS fun....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Then there's people like me that just aren't picky about which one's better than the others. They are all equally fun to me, and they all seem to have the same amount of pros and cons in most reviews that I saw, so they can easily agree with me.

Yeah, well, not all of us are like that. I just wish the UT3-haters would STFU and go hang out in a more logical place, like the UT2004 or UT1 forums. Evry time they show their faces in the UT3 board I want to smack them with a plank of wood.

Like I stated before, the reason I prefer UT3 over UT2004 is because of UT2004's sports-like atmosphere. UT3 feels more gritty and industrial, which brings nostalgic feelings about Unreal and UT1. That, and the AI is smarter than in UT2004. An example would be when they get in a Leviathan. I don't think this happens in UT3, last time I checked.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
That, and the AI is smarter than in UT2004.

UT2k4 bots were the most atrocious things I have ever seen!
And yes UT1 had still industrial stuff, not in the same way as UT3 - where I really like the style - but there were "industrial" places. UT2k4 had a lot of them too (more than UT3 and UT1) and personally those were the best developed things about that game.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Yeah, well, not all of us are like that. I just wish the UT3-haters would STFU and go hang out in a more logical place, like the UT2004 or UT1 forums. Evry time they show their faces in the UT3 board I want to smack them with a plank of wood.

Like I stated before, the reason I prefer UT3 over UT2004 is because of UT2004's sports-like atmosphere. UT3 feels more gritty and industrial, which brings nostalgic feelings about Unreal and UT1. That, and the AI is smarter than in UT2004. An example would be when they get in a Leviathan. I don't think this happens in UT3, last time I checked.

They must have changed the AI since I played last. Because last I remember, the bots have gotten worse in every version of UT. I ended up cheating in some "campaign" maps because my team bots where so terrible.

As for the look, that is a matter of opinion. I much preferred the atmosphere of 2k4, because that was how the "storyline" had been telling it since UT99.

Either way, the lack of Assault killed any chance for me to get in to UT3

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
They must have changed the AI since I played last. Because last I remember, the bots have gotten worse in every version of UT. I ended up cheating in some "campaign" maps because my team bots where so terrible.

That's just the game setting the enemy to "Adept" while keeping your team at "Novice" to make it seem harder.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
^ agreed. Your team mates are absolutely useless in campaign if you play at any real level of difficulty. You end up having to play warfare, by yourself.

Yeah, Warfare's probably the only team gameplay that hardly feels like a team event. The others, like VCTF, CTF, Team DM, etc...are all pulled off pretty darn well, if you ask me.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
It was probably the most fun I've ever had playing UT3, proving that the game actually can be fun.
It took the Titan pack and 2.5 years for you to consider that it can be fun. A game should be fun out of the box, isn't it?

CliffB, talking about Bulletstorm:
It puts the fun back into the first-person shooter. And that doesn’t mean “Halo” or “Call of Duty” aren’t fun, because they are amazingly fun; I was playing the “Halo Reach” beta last night. But at the same time they are very serious, right?

This game is like “you know what, let’s give the people what they want, let’s give them something fun.”
How did he guess? :rolleyes: Why is he saying this only now and in what alternate reality would someone not want fun in the UT series? It's not a realistic shooter where you're restricted to what exists IRL

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Wait what? Unreal and UT1 have nothing to do with grungification at all. They use clean textures, very much more clean than in UT2004, compare their DM-Rankin versions and you'll see.

Lol, I didn't mean the grungification. That's the art style, not the atmosphere. In Unreal and UT, the atmosphere is feeling like you're actually surrounded by stone, metal, rock, etc. The weapons actually gave the feeling that they were made of a strong material like iron. In UT2004, I got a feeling like everything was slightly plastic-y (even the weapons). In UT3, again, everything seemed to be stone, metal, rock etc., but with added grungification. So maybe I was wrong saying UT3 felt exactly like U1 and UT, but it sure as hell feels similar, which I like.

Either way, the lack of Assault killed any chance for me to get in to UT3

Last I heard a mod version was released. Seriously, if a gametype is wanted back badly enough, it will find its way back via mods and mutators. There's no excuse.

Also, for people saying the AI is dumber than in UT2k4, there's no way. They might be the same in both games on the same gametype, but they REALLY improved the intelligence in Warfare compared to how they acted in Onslaught. In VCTF, though, the bots in UT3 had a tendency to hop on a hoverboard and just sit there, but that mainly happened only on custom maps.

Also, if UT3's AI really isn't smart enough for you, you can use Mapmixer to modify the bot to act VERY similar to a human player, such as upping the strafing, dodging, and jumping frequency to make the bot less predictable, increasing the accuracy and reaction time to make him more formidable, even adjusting his combat style so that he could either choose to stop and camp with a sniper or head directly for the action. All someone needs to do is release a mutator to change these values according to the situation (such as upping Dodging when going against a spammy player, decreasing accuracy when he turns too quickly, lowering reaction time when nothing happens for a long time, etc. etc.) and you will have a nearly human-like bot I bet.

Last edited: