UT3 MapMixer alpha

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
What are the major changes in alpha 7?

From the changelog.txt...

Players vs Bots now implemented (needs testing).

o Gametypes based off the community 'Multi-team' gametype (by Infinity Impossible), such as TDM3&4 and Domination (http://ut3dom.xantaz.net) etc are now fully supported, without creating any class dependencies. This means MapMixer's player count management and factions are now fully operational in these gametypes. All options are now enabled for these gametypes in the UI.

o Launching as a Spectator now supported.

o Recording Demos now supported.

o Added "E" buttons in the Setup Tab of the Main Launch Menu to allow you to jump straight to the relevent tab and edit the selected list item.

o Added "A" buttons in List Tabs of the Main Launch Menu to allow you to make the selected list active in the main Setup Tab.

o Various UI tweaks

o QuickStart URL option now supported and included as default option in all gametypes

edit: Basically the biggest change is that almost all custom gametypes are now supported. There is still a few gametypes that are not supported like Attrition or others like Elimination that need to allow the users to select the amount of max lives, as it will always be just one as it is now, or not have force respawn on as default and not be able to change it.

deleted false duel statement.
sorry sinx I was just wrong on that, period. I'll explain what the problem is in this Alpha in just moments.

Last edited:

matw

Jul 9, 2003
Adelaide, South Australia
One very important thing to remember about MapMixer is that it is designed in a generic manner to be compatible with any gametype (unless there is something very out of the ordinary with a gametype - no examples yet).

What this means is that there is no 'hard-coding' in MapMixer to make it compatible with a gametype. All you need to do is make some modifications to the UTMapMixer.ini file to make it aware of a gametypes game rules or there might need to be some additional settings made to the gametype registration in that file.

What I've done is pre-configured the default UTMapMixer.ini file so it has all this information for the following community gametypes:

• Standard UT3 Gametypes
  • TDM4
  • UT3Dom
  • Galtanor's Invasion
  • Battle Team Arena

So if MapMixer doesn't show game rules for a custom gametype that isn't in that list then you don't need me to recompile mapmixer for it. However, I don't expect everyone to know how to make all those changes to the UTMapMixer.ini file, especially when there is currently no documentation on how to do it, so the best thing to do if you are in a situation where mapmixer doesn't show the game rules for a community gametype, then just contact me (details at mapmixer.oceaniaut.com) and request that I do this for you. That way when I make the next distribution of MapMixer, it will be pre-configured for everyone. But let me just re-iterate that I have gone to great pains to make sure that I don't hard-code mapmixer specifically for any gametype and everything is done in a generic manner.

Thanks for your interest.

Oh, I forgot to mention re the Dual Gametype. I have made some changes to the UTMapMixer.ini file in alpha 7 that I'd hoped would fix the situation. To be frankly honest, I don't play that gametype so I'm not that familiar with it. I'd really like to get this sorted out, so perhaps those more familiar with that gametype could work with me to make sure it works correctly. Thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
The problem in this Alpha with Duel is not what I just said ealier today and really is just a false. I was trying to say what I will say right now, but my mind must of been on past Alpha's or something as that is just wrong. Wow, I mean that is what was wrong in Alpha 5. Man, sorry about that.

Anyway, the problem is there is a pool of players that comes into the game whenever someone dies. The way it works with it saying you are next is telling me this is by design, but its not really the way Duel works by default. In default duel there is just two players that are going at it and there is no pool. Saying that though, the pool is cool and should be keep around, but not called Duel.

matw

Jul 9, 2003
Ok, sounds like simply a matter of player counts. In that case, I'll get you to try something for me, if you could (using MapMixer Alpha 7).

Open your UTMapMixer.ini file.

Have a look at the section titled:

[MapMixer.MapMixer_DataStore_GameTypes]

Now search under that section for the line that starts:

GameTypes=(sGameClass="UTGame.UTDuelGame", ...

Now, follow that line along until you find the two items as follows:

iCapMin=0,iCapMax=0

Now make both of those "=2", so they appear as:

iCapMin=2,iCapMax=2

Now, very importantly, if you are launching a game using the "Session" launch method (have to think up a better name for that), then make sure your Setup Tab is as follows:

duelyx5.jpg

Meaning that the Non-team Minimum Player Cap is set to 2. MapMixer takes this setting into account last of all. So first of all MM will apply the Player Caps of the Gametype (as we set above) and then last of all it makes sure the final Player Caps fall within the range of the settings in the Setup Tab (as in screenshot).

However, if you are using the Quick Match method then you have specific control over the player counts from the Rules Tab in the Quick Match Menu. I guess then you could argue that MapMixer should detect (via the ini file setting) that the gametype doesn't allow you to set anything other than 2 players, so it shouldn't even allow you to set the player count in the Quick Match menu.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Hmmm..I have no idea.

I never really played with the Survival mutator. I did however try it just then with Duel and mapmixer and the only differences where you where force respawned and there was a message whenever you died saying which team you where on. (don't worry it was the same team as before the death)

What is it supposed to do?

I hope someone with experience using that mutator can help you more.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Cool! MapMixer for UT3 :D These types of mutators were always my favourites, going from xMaps (UT99) through MapMixer 1 (UT2003), MapMixer 2 (UT2004) which I use every day to MapMixer 3 for UT3, that I don't have yet and not planning to get until the major expansion is out :) Still, good work, nice job on all the versions. Will be the first download once I get UT3 full :)

By the way, sinx, do you have MapMixer 1 files these days? It's cool as it supports UT2003, but so far all I've found was 0.10 Beta 1.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
OMG, this is awesome... :eek: never downloaded this tool because I thought it was an external application, but it's indeed a great UI replacement. You should post a few screenshots to get more people to download it! :D
- My main problem is the mouse is lagging too much so I can't deal with scrollbars and dropdown buttons with as much ease as I'd like... Yes, my laptop sucks, but I'm not having any mouse problem with the default UI...
- Player counts and authors are not being displayed in custom maps, so you have to add the bots manually every time you load a custom map... I guess this is something that has not yet been implemented... or is it not supposed to happen?
- The scrollbars behave a bit like crazy when moving maps from the right list to the left one.
- Visualization settings of map lists are not saved (You have to switch to Thumbnail mode every time you load the game...).
- I played a few Duel games after installing this, but the 'welcome, this is the first time you use mapmixer' message was not shown until I switched to DM gametype...
- The countdown shown when a match ends, I think the zooming out effect looks nice, but it's seeking too much attention... IMO a normal and smaller clock would be fine...
- The submenu text-effects in the main menu screen should be a little faster, if possible. Also, the portraits look kinda meh (IMO)... I don't see the number of custom chars as such a valuable info to be in the main menu... just personal taste I guess... :)
I'm definitely keeping this installed, I love the map radomisation feature... Will post again if I notice more bugs... :tup:

matw

Jul 9, 2003
OMG, this is awesome... :eek: never downloaded this tool because I thought it was an external application, but it's indeed a great UI replacement. You should post a few screenshots to get more people to download it! :D

I did, in the Epic Forums announcement post. :)

- My main problem is the mouse is lagging too much so I can't deal with scrollbars and dropdown buttons with as much ease as I'd like... Yes, my laptop sucks, but I'm not having any mouse problem with the default UI...

There shouldn't be a huge issue but remember that the MapMixer UI is doing a great deal more than the standard UI!

- Player counts and authors are not being displayed in custom maps, so you have to add the bots manually every time you load a custom map... I guess this is something that has not yet been implemented... or is it not supposed to happen?

Someone didn't read the information in the distribution archive did they! Tsk, tsk. Sounds like you need to lookup 'Map Scanning', which you can also find out about on the mapmixer site here.

- The scrollbars behave a bit like crazy when moving maps from the right list to the left one.

Don't have any problems here. More details required.

- Visualization settings of map lists are not saved (You have to switch to Thumbnail mode every time you load the game...).

Answer here.

- I played a few Duel games after installing this, but the 'welcome, this is the first time you use mapmixer' message was not shown until I switched to DM gametype...

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to check that one.

- The countdown shown when a match ends, I think the zooming out effect looks nice, but it's seeking too much attention... IMO a normal and smaller clock would be fine...

Fair point. I'll look into it.

- The submenu text-effects in the main menu screen should be a little faster, if possible. Also, the portraits look kinda meh (IMO)... I don't see the number of custom chars as such a valuable info to be in the main menu... just personal taste I guess... :)

The Main Menu screen is totally customisable and defined in the file: UTMapMixerFrontEndUI.ini

I'm definitely keeping this installed, I love the map radomisation feature... Will post again if I notice more bugs... :tup:

Make sure you check the MapMixer web site and the forums.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
This is certainly beyond your responsibility, and maybe beyond technical possibility, but can you support number of teams selection?

*edit* nevermind, I see from the readme that this is possible, though i'm not exactly clear on what to do. (I'm specifically referring here to UT3DOM.)

Last edited:

matw

Jul 9, 2003
This is certainly beyond your responsibility, and maybe beyond technical possibility, but can you support number of teams selection?

*edit* nevermind, I see from the readme that this is possible, though i'm not exactly clear on what to do. (I'm specifically referring here to UT3DOM.)

MapMixer fully supports UTDOM and there are two possible methods. The first is to use the NumTeams option as a URL option and the second method is to create Custom Gametypes for each team number style. I have pre-configured MapMixer to use the second method, as this might give the most flexibility, however, it is indeed possible to use one standard Gametype called UTDom (or whatever) and simply add a URL option for NumTeams, which could then also use randomisation to set the number of teams.

When you install UTDom, all the gametype pre-configurations for those gametypes should appear automatically. Let me know if you require any further assistance in this area.

Edit: Actually, I think the second method is preferred (going from memory) due to automatic player count handling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
MapMixer fully supports UTDOM and there are two possible methods. The first is to use the NumTeams option as a URL option and the second method is to create Custom Gametypes for each team number style. I have pre-configured MapMixer to use the second method, as this might give the most flexibility, however, it is indeed possible to use one standard Gametype called UTDom (or whatever) and simply add a URL option for NumTeams, which could then also use randomisation to set the number of teams.

When you install UTDom, all the gametype pre-configurations for those gametypes should appear automatically. Let me know if you require any further assistance in this area.

Edit: Actually, I think the second method is preferred (going from memory) due to automatic player count handling.
The main downside is your gametype list is almost 3 times longer. :p

matw

Jul 9, 2003
The main downside is your gametype list is almost 3 times longer. :p

Yes, I can see the downside to this and it has been something that I think about from time to time. What I would possibly prefer is some sort of method to filter the gametypes in the combo boxes (drop down lists) by team games etc. However, while this is possible, I still have to come up with a target goal in my head before I implement it.