UT3 WAR-Beachfront[Release]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Hmm, I really don't know how the bots work (not being the one who programmed them) but I suspect they "prefer" open areas because they have a fear of getting stuck in the more narrow places. Thus, they probably usually take the more "open" paths when available instead of risking a trek through a narrow pass (which any human could safely navigate). I notice they sometimes change their minds about what they want to do too, like they'll be going for the middle, but then suddenly a prime node goes down, so they stop, turn around, and go for that node instead.

Also, nodes inside structures have "vehicle parking" pathnodes to let the bots know that they can't go past this point unless they're on foot. That stops the bots from trying to drive up a flight of stairs in a scorpion or trying to squeeze a tank through a door frame. The jungle also has these so that bots don't try to fit vehicles in between the trees.

Now, if a human spawned and wanted to capture the jungle node, they would pop out their hoverboard, ignore the tanks at their current node, and head straight for the jungle, hoping over rocks and barricades, and trying to keep out of line of sight of the enemy. Now, if a bot spawns and decides it should capture the jungle node, it will detect that there is an unused tank nearby and decide the tank would probably be useful in capturing a node. It would grab the tank and then try to plan the best way to the node. It realizes it's in a big vehicle, so it will head towards the open areas because it's less likely to get stuck on something there. It then makes it's way towards the jungle node, when it hits a pathnode (just outside the dense jungle) labeled as a vehicle parking spot for the Jungle node, so the bot decides to exit the tank, and proceed on foot.

Obviously, if a human player did this, they would win come kind of "n00b of the month" award because not only did they waste a ton of time taking the long way to get to the jungle, they really shouldn't have taken the tank at all if they were going to the jungle because tanks don't fit there in the first place! Also, they totally wasted the tank by driving it away from the node and parking it out in the open where it'll get blown up, or worse, hijacked!

Unfortunately, "AIs" are currently incapable of this higher-level planning in new environments, and thus will inevitably act in ways that seem irrational to humans but are fully rational to them. Actually, I guess it's probably a good thing they're not capable of higher-level planning otherwise they'd have enslaved us and taken over the world by now ;).

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
That is entirely correct, Bots love open spaces, as they also need them. Human players can run a Scorpion on 2 wood plank, while bots are going to be entirely drunk attempting. Refusing to attempt maybe.

Last edited:

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Ah, that makes sense. No possible way to correct this? What if Epic released the native source for UT3?

I think an Unreal Engine 3 License is needed for source code but at $500,000 each, it's a little out of my price range :hmm:.

oh just a little thing : could you make the height limit a bit higher ? it's annoying to have the camera bounce in the middle of the air :\

Ah, yeah, you're referring to the "StallZ". Well, I'll see what I can do, but if it's too high players would be able to peek over the cliffs which have nothing on the other side :eek: (for the sake of gameplay performance).

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Kinda off topic, but theoretically, if one spends $500,000 on a UE3 license and then pirates it (distribute over Torrent) wouldn't Epic be... screwed?

A "pirate" group could earn a lot of fame that way. Just a thought. (albeit a scary thought)

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
Kinda off topic, but theoretically, if one spends $500,000 on a UE3 license and then pirates it (distribute over Torrent) wouldn't Epic be... screwed?

A "pirate" group could earn a lot of fame that way. Just a thought. (albeit a scary thought)

*cough*silicon knights*cough*
well they didn't torrent it, but they did give some bits to other companies IIRC

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
*cough*silicon knights*cough*
well they didn't torrent it, but they did give some bits to other companies IIRC

Illegal?

EDIT: You mean this?
99_icon_arrow.gif
Breaking: Silicon Knights Files Lawsuit Against Epic

too_human_1.jpg
According to a statement from Epic's Mark Rein sent to leading news outlets including Gamasutra, the Unreal Engine 3 creator is the subject of a lawsuit from licensee Silicon Knights regarding UE3-utilizing Xbox 360 title Too Human.

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I finally got to playing this beauty. I was on the MSUC version. (I don't know how beta or not that version is)

I have to say: I loved it in instant action. This is how warfare should have been done!
The only improvements i can suggest (and i know there are many more, but these are the ones I personally care about) are thus:
Mesh it up! I know that you want good performance, but your buildings look downright ugly. The bunkers in particular are really horrible. Please add SOMETHING to cover up the blandness. The fact that they use a grey, repetitive texture is really annoying. They really are shouting out for a hint of detail. Just add a few small trim meshes or something. Either way, those bunkers look crap.

I don't care about the grass looking like it does. I love it as it is despite it being scaled too much. So for me the grass is fine.

I like the 2k4 style core explosian. The base reflecting the core status = win IMO. I love that effect.

The map plays wonderfully. I love the tank battles and the jungle skirmishes. There were a few gameplay flaws, but really, no major changes need to happen to gameplay.
However: I personally would love it if you released an alternate version of this map which placed more emphasis on SPMA's than tanks.

For example, instead of 2 goliaths spawning behind the sandbags at the bunker node, why not make them SPAMs?
In addition: You could make the roof destructible on the 2 side bunkers and the 3 sniper nests on the main bunker. This means that the spmas could nullify any annoying campers who are sniping too much and force them to retreat or change tactic.

In this version you could still have a lot of tanks, but each side should have somewhere between 4-8 spmas at their disposal.

To keep things balanced the amount of invisibility pickups should be increased. Maybe make it so that the jungle node is the "stealth node", and whichever team captures it gets access to 4 invisibility pickups so that they can sneak over the no-mans land without the spmas detecting and killing them.

If you were to make this version, I suggest that the 3 nodes in the middle are made stand-alone nodes (you know what i mean right? They aren't connected to the link setup).
The middle node in no-mans land would have a new function. Instead of spawning a leviathan the purpose of this node would be to repair any damage done to the bunkers of the team who controls it. (remember that the bunkers would have destructible roofing in this version. Excluding of course the roof directly above the actual node. We wouldn't want the SPMAs spamming the node itself).
So yeah, controling this node would repair your bunkers. Maybe it could be a 30 second countdown node which, when controled, keeps the bunkers from being damaged at all!
Another idea: I like what you did with the core. How the base around it blows up as the core gets damaged and all that. What if you applied this to the bunker nodes? IE: Whenever the bunker node falls below a certain level of health, the repair node will no longer function correctly for that teams bunker.

Moving on: The jungle node would be stealthed up, like i described above.

The little island node could have 2-4 mantas and ONE raptor. Maybe an energy shield of some sort should be placed above the node to prevent spmas from rendering it useless. The moment the node falls below 50% health this shield would falter and the spma's could let loose. There would only be one raptor because 2 would be unfair and one is necessary to make the node worth capturing. That raptor would be a good asset on this map. It should be able to take down at least 2 annoying enemy spmas before every AVRIL available on the other team gets loaded and locked on.

so yeah..... As far as i can see the map you have already created is close to perfect in terms of gameplay and performance. I reckon the second setup I propose above could be an interesting twist on this map. You designed this map to feel like onslaught2k4. You suceed.
So why not make another version which feels like warfare2k8? My version mixes some assault styled objectives in while retaining an onslaught feeling.

Meh, i'm probably missing something and the gameplay changes i propose above would seriously unbalance the map :lol: . But anyways.... What do you say? The two versions would be completely separate from each other - I'm not suggesting you make these changes to a map that is perfect already for gameplay.

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Heh, well, I've already moved onto my next map for phase 2 (VCTF this time). But depending upon how well BeachFront does, perhaps I'll make an alternate version for phase 2 as well... ;)

Revord

Jun 20, 2008
Just an FYI, Ive dowloaded this and have to say nothing in the stock maps have anything close to this level of quality and gameplay. I played it with the max bot count, and it was back and forth. The fact that the Leviathan is tied to that center node is brilliant. With such a powerful weapon, it only makes sense that if that beastie starts rolling up to your power core, just take out the center node (it will be much quicker than attacking it head on) and blam-o, there goes the levi, and everyone on board. I dont miss the music, sometimes, I turn it off myself, primarily because I have a 5.1 surround card with a surround headset. I like to hear fools coming up behind me if Im just sneaking around.

Visually, its good enough for me. It may not have all the eye candy some folks have asked for, but it works well in my opinion.

As far as bots are concerned, unless someone was able to reprogram the AI, I dont think theres much you can do about that. In my opinion, the AI in UT3 isnt that much different than that in UT99. Im currently going through 99 again, and I really dont find that much difference tbh.

Anyhow, thats my 2 cents worth. Good job dude, keep it up!

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Thanks for the continued feedback everyone. Good news: if you're looking to try it out online, for the next little while you can play it on UMG League's Warfare server! :D Apparently, it's been somewhat of a hit there, so stick around for a few Warfare rounds and you're bound to run into it ;).

Also, I just realized that I accidentally posted the link to version 1.1 all this time :eek: Well, regardless, I just finished cooking version 1.3. I'll be sure to edit the link in the initial post too. I also hope to eventually cook a PS3 version... if only I could figure out what keeps making it crash... :rolleyes:

http://files.filefront.com/WAR+Beachfront13zip/;11509941;/fileinfo.html/

Thanks again for the feedback! :)

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Link broken. :9

Man, filefront keeps dropping the links for it like that :p. I'll see if I still have the most recent copy of the map lying around on my external hard-drive backup somewhere... otherwise I guess I'll cook up a new one.