Vehicles in UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Why not just play UT 2004's Onslaught? I guess it would be nice to have the UT 2004 vehicles for UT99, but I wonder how practical it would ever be. Are there any mappers left to make maps that could use them? Would it ever get played online? It seems like the amount of work needed to produce such a mod probably wouldn't be worth it.

Last edited:

Kaal979

TheSinew
Jan 10, 2009
Germany
The vehicles from the mod are summonable via console.
I tried this with BCs onslaught stuff but it didnt work.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Well, vehicle mods, besides the ones from AirFight UT and NeoCairo:
- StrangeLove (if you consider it as such)
- Rocket-X
- Jets

Those work online and they are on some servers.

Regarding other vehicle mods, there are the ones from BlackCheetah, which I seriouslly DON'T advice at all (they are more unstable and bad simulated than any mod I know on alpha state), so don't be surprised if they don't work or if they work bad.

Dots ( .:..: ) developed some vehicles and ported some Unreal 2 vehicles to Unreal, and I must say that's the best vehicle mod released regarding ground vehicles, and they do have online support, but they were tested in Unreal, and very little in UT.

And I am developing a vehicle pack myself for UT, but I don't plan to add any multiplayer support anytime soon (it's not worth it like WHIPperSNAPper said) and they aren't any ports, they are my own vehicles, created from scratch (from concept to the entire build). I am developing them just for Single Player campaigns and practice sessions, so either ways you're left with the "vehicles" I pointed out first at the beggining of this post.

Kaal979

TheSinew
Jan 10, 2009
Germany
Good luck then.
I hope they are military styled.
And please put them in the content release thread!

Why in the hell did nobody make U2 vecs for UT?
I tested the summons but nothing ... .

Last edited:

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
And I am developing a vehicle pack myself for UT, but I don't plan to add any multiplayer support anytime soon (it's not worth it like WHIPperSNAPper said) and they aren't any ports, they are my own vehicles, created from scratch (from concept to the entire build). I am developing them just for Single Player campaigns and practice sessions, so either ways you're left with the "vehicles" I pointed out first at the beggining of this post.

Requires custom maps, Stupid enter codes?

Last edited:

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Good luck then.
I hope they are military styled.
And please put them in the content release thread!
Well, they are kinda "military", but in Unreal style, and regarding 4 different races: Skaarj, Humans, Mercs and Nali.
Two of them can be seen are on my sign (XVehicles), the rest you can see on my blog/website. But the thing is, they will take a while to finish, don't have any online support (you would be able to play against bots only), and even once finished their main purpose is for my SP (if it sees the light of the day sometime).

Why in the hell did nobody make U2 vecs for UT?
I tested the summons but nothing ... .
I said Dots ported them to Unreal/UT Oo
Check oldunreal for a topic regarding vehicles, you will find them.

Requires custom maps, Stupid enter codes?
Requires big enough maps to be playable (standard maps won't do it, obviouslly). Regarding codes to spawn them, you won't need them (like I said, I am developing them for SP and practise sessions, so obviouslly there is going to exist "vehicle factories" for custom maps, and a mutator for the already existing ones).
But right now, where the development is standing, I still have to enter codes to spawn them such as: "summon xtreadveh.tankgkone" to summon a human tank, for example.

But either ways, don't count much on this pack for now, there are many things to be finished, many more vehicles to be done, plus its development is paused since I am developing a new weapon pack, and will only continue after the weapon pack gets finished (more than 10 weapons to go, but they are clearlly faster and easier to do than the vehicles, of course).

Just talked on it just to say it exists, but online support is a no no since it's not worth it (and the ones which have it out there are either hovering/flying vehicles which are relativelly easy to make them work, and the ones which should be terrain already suck at offline level (bad physics, buggy, etc), with exception of Dots ones and this one in development).

Kaal979

TheSinew
Jan 10, 2009
Germany
Yeay thats great!
But in my bot matches I really like having a cool vehicle standing around - just for fun.
I hope the new weapons get better scaled than the NaliWeapons which were abit huge.
I shall check oldunreal again?
Do the U2Vehicles work in your UT?

EDIT: Your vehicles look A-A-AWESOME!
Do you know a site with huge character models unless SkinCity?

Last edited:

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
I hope the new weapons get better scaled than the NaliWeapons which were abit huge.
Well, they aren't that huge, it's actually the firemodes, view bob and crosshairs that make them look huge on 1st person (I noticed that after playing with the new ones and then with the old ones).
But either ways, that's solved in NW3. :)

I shall check oldunreal again?
Do the U2Vehicles work in your UT?
Oh, there's something I forgot to say:
1) In that topic, he has some packs for download, so basically, download them all (one of them contain the VehiclePhys core with the vehicles main system, the U2Vehicles simply won't work without that).
2) Another thing is that Dots used the original high resolution textures for the vehicle skins. So in case you're using the D3D7 driver, the game will crash, but if you use the new D3D9 or OpenGL ones, that problem should go away.
There's another way to solve that (which I adopted back then), which is open the vehicles in the editor, go to their textures, export them, resize them to 512x512 max, then import them again, and save the U2Vehicles again. That way you have overall the same quality, a smaller filesize and it works with all the render drivers (including D3D7).

With that, yes, they worked on my UT. Plus, they were the reason why I am creating my own vehicle system (they lacked certain "musts" and had a few bugs, but since they weren't tested enough and since Dots is no longer supporting them, nothing to do about). His U2 vehicles port are really great.

EDIT: Your vehicles look A-A-AWESOME!
Do you know a site with huge character models unless SkinCity?
Thanks, but still I need to make them look better (specially the jeep and one of the tanks).

Regarding character models, the biggest one is really SkinCity. There is Level4You which has some character models, but SkinCity might have them as well already, you have to confirm it.
Other than those 2, I don't know any other site with those.

Last edited:

Kaal979

TheSinew
Jan 10, 2009
Germany
Thanks - will check the U2Vehicles forum
and after testing possibly make a DL with the improved contents.

EDIT:
The U2Vecs are very problematic:
first he vehicles are "team locked"
second OpenGL doesnt allow brightness changes also the bot skins look much too dark
and the UEd cant export the textures for resize from this Ufile.

Last edited:

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
Custom maps eh? Sounds pretty grim. A mutator could possibly generate things that big in any typical huge wide open map?

Would that work something like U4e's randomizer that just spits stuff all over a map?

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
EDIT:
The U2Vecs are very problematic:
first he vehicles are "team locked"
second OpenGL doesnt allow brightness changes also the bot skins look much too dark
and the UEd cant export the textures for resize from this Ufile.
Hmmm, don't worry. I didn't extract them with Ued, but with UTPT (forgot that detail).
Tomorrow or so, I will upload those with those 2 fixes.

Custom maps eh? Sounds pretty grim. A mutator could possibly generate things that big in any typical huge wide open map?

Would that work something like U4e's randomizer that just spits stuff all over a map?
With a mutator you can do pretty much everything lol
It can spawn in nodes, and if there are no nodes, they can be spawned a bit ahead from playerstarts, and issue solved.
I am not very familiar with the U4E randomizer, but in case of a DM match, it would be best to randomly spawn them out, in case of a CTF, Assault or Siege, the spawning would have a logic regarding simetry (a tank spawned on blue, would be also spawned on red fromt the same distance of the flag for example).

For instance, the StrangeLove mutator, can replace Redeemers by SLVs, or/and spawn randomly SLVs, but with some logic (team based logic, simetry), and ammo around as well.
In case of a vehicle mod, the same thing would work out with no problems at all.

And these kind of vehicles aren't the only ones that need maps with more space to play, SLV is a very popular mod (hosted in several popular servers), and also needs a map with some space to play, otherwise it isn't just possible (except on some small maps, built exclusivelly for SLV considering the minimal space it needs).

Kaal979

TheSinew
Jan 10, 2009
Germany
Yeah - you must have sent by heaven.
But is it also possible to scale the vehicles atually abit down?
(so that they look like the UnrealApache)