R.I.P. SG TDM Server

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

theRoadStroker

A Dickcheese Faggot
May 28, 2005
yes thank you shan ...i believe i played my very 1st inf games (online) on your server and even thou camos were crap most of the times :D i still enjoyed it more then any euro server.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Pipe_Dream said:
They have a right to hate it. I mean, look at <P^R>'s huge contributions to the community. If it wasn't for them nobody would ever complain. You gotta admit, their server rocks!!!! :rolleyes: Kitty, you're with some real winners, not "trash" like N, DbD and VA. They are WINNERS!
Oh, forgive me Pipe, for not being able to pirate cpu cycles off my company's supercomputers, and for shelling out what money I can afford to keep my favorite game and it's best gametype alive. If you don't like playing there, then I'll go ensure you don't have that option.

In other news, If TDM was the only thing keeping this community alive, then the 8 people out of those TDMers who like EAS can then join us whenever we can get a game up. The rest can move on and leave us for good...or learn what a good EAS game is all about ;)

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
I am honored by your personal attention to the matter, Shan.

It is time to move on. TDM is a decrepit game type, and as has been mentioned before, our TDM is actually TLMS. Do a quick check and see how many LMS servers are running in UT and UT2k4. Next, check how many assault and ONS servers are running in UT2k4. Objective based game play is the future. It should be what we strive for. TDM is just dumping two teams in an arena and having a fight to the death for sport and entertainment. I fail to see how that falls into the vision of "Infiltration: As Real as it gets"

I hold nothing personally against you, only the game type that you run on your server.

Now, EAS as implemented in most maps as a simple CTCD game funneled and directed by mysterious sniper actors is just as flawed.

I do have an idea regarding a map that is impossible to spawn camp without the hack of sniper actors.

Pipe_Dream

3-time World Champion Bowler
Oct 22, 2004
Portland, OR
ROFL It would appear that PR got together in their private forums, discussed this thread and then replied in force :rolleyes:

Keg, What you said made as much sense as the majority of my posts. read Demo's BS and then come at me with hostility, if you can still find a reason.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Demosthanese said:
It is time to move on. TDM is a decrepit game type, and as has been mentioned before, our TDM is actually TLMS. Do a quick check and see how many LMS servers are running in UT and UT2k4. Next, check how many assault and ONS servers are running in UT2k4. Objective based game play is the future. It should be what we strive for. TDM is just dumping two teams in an arena and having a fight to the death for sport and entertainment. I fail to see how that falls into the vision of "Infiltration: As Real as it gets"
Yup. :hmm:

I do have an idea regarding a map that is impossible to spawn camp without the hack of sniper actors.
Some of the good EAS maps ARE impossible to spawnkill players on without going to extraordinary lengths or map bugging.

To design a map without spawn actors, you can place ledges at the edge of a spawn that can't be jump back onto. Not a perfect solution but it works. Unfortunately, this must be designed into the map from the beginning, it doesn't work for converting a TDM map to EAS which is what most of the EAS maps are.

---
I too hold nothing against Shan personally, he's a great member of the community. But, there are some issues:

1) Only running servers other than EAS which stole players away and made it harder to play full EAS games.
2) Providing NA TDM servers attracts the wrong kind of gamer to the INF community.
3) The abundance of TDM servers combined with a safe havens (Clan territory forums, DBD, [^..^] ) for lamers, tkers, and idiots had a large negative effect on the INF community.
4) The refusal to properly Admin the TDM servers encouraged TKers and lamers to stay in the INF community where some still remain today.

--Note that I do not regard all current and former members of DBD and [^..^] as lamers, but these clans harbored such individuals.

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
Geo, Yes and no* respectively. Check the Dev forum. KW, Ledges are almost as bad as sniper actors. Just as gamey, but at least they do not kill you.

Edit: *It could be applied to present maps should anyone choose to take the time to edit them.

Pipe_Dream

Oct 22, 2004
Portland, OR
keihaswarrior said:
2) Providing NA TDM servers attracts the wrong kind of gamer to the INF community.
3) The abundance of TDM servers combined with a safe havens (Clan territory forums, DBD, [^..^] ) for lamers, tkers, and idiots had a large negative effect on the INF community.
4) The refusal to properly Admin the TDM servers encouraged TKers and lamers to stay in the INF community where some still remain today.

--Note that I do not regard all current and former members of DBD and [^..^] as lamers, but these clans harbored such individuals.

Come on, KW. I thought we were past all of this by now. You act as though this was an every day occurance and that you never enjoyed playing TDM. I remember a time when you were one of the coolest peeps to play INF with... no matter the game type. As for "some" members of DbD being lamers, thats BS.

Before I joined DbD, I thought clans were the gayest thing on Earth. What I had noticed is that P^R were f*cking bitches ("Note that I do not regard all current and former members of PR as f*cking bitches, but this clan harbors such individuals.[/") and GD was too 'elite' for my skill level(I wanted to apply, but didn't feel confident). This was all good with me because DbD turned out to be some of the coolest, non real life people I've ever known who didn't care about skill level... just friendship. So don't talk **** about any of them(even Mercie), just because you have a problem with me.

When I first started playing on a regular basis, when 2.9 came out(I really got frustrated with 2.86), I honestly didn't know the difference between TDM, EAS and DTAS. People used to get so pissed because I would just run around like it was TDM. Then, one night(about 6 months later) I was playing with NT(during his "bad guy" era), Taque and Ghost and they explained the difference to me. The problem was that most people were too busy being 'big faggot(s)' and not explaining the game.

EAS is the most challenging type of game play there is, no doubt about that. The problem regarding not having enough people to play, IMO, is that many of the new people don't understand the difference or the style. I never even knew the BUF and CT forums existed until a year ago.

My point is this: Stop using terms like "noob" and "lamer" to describe people that don't "get it" right away and maybe people will begin a migration toward EAS. I know, I know... this sh1t has been said a million times before, but it happens for a while and then the 'assholishness(not sure if this is really a word)' comes back out of the a$$holes. Remember, there are many Losus' out there who don't have very thick skin and will run away after the first insult(LOL, this is coming from me).

I wish I could shorten this up because most of it is not important, so this will be my final input in this thread.

Edit: My original post was just gonna be: F*ck' em all, Shan. They're just haters who lost their balls after you didn't feed 'em what they really want. Thanks bro, I'm excited about our new sh1t.

Last edited:

shan

www.clanterritory.com
Jan 29, 2000
Portland, OR
www.clanterritory.com
Thanks Pipe. I agree with a lot of what you said. I do not agree that anyone is being a hater. I beleive that PR honestly thinks that without TDM people would somehow have stuck around even though people left the community even with TDM.

How someone could fail to be able to find 12 players out of the millions on the Internet to play a game and then blame it on TDM is beyond me. Seems to defy common sense...

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
I dont think some of you jackasses realize that without TDM INF would have died long ago. Those claims are all presumptious KW, just like mine is, however I think mine is more likely, given the maturity level of internet gamers, and interests (such as non-realistic FPS which seems to be the norm). You want to know what ruined INF? Nothing. It always has and always will cater to a special kind of virtual warrior, and unless you add crosshairs and bunnyhopping it would never get to a large sized community (does it matter?).

Hell, in fact, I remember when shan threw up the SG TDM server EAS was allready in its death throes and I remember alot of people leaving the community. So maybe I am not being persumptious afterall...

Kitty.cat

It'll work, just not the right way.
Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
TDM needs to stay and here's why. It's the best skirmish ever. Appropriately, SG TDM is some of the best just dicking around I've ever done in INF. Late nights with Assessina, Steve, and whoever else is on on the SG server is some of the best non-serious INFing I've ever done. In TDM I don't feel bad running around at the offense with only a Robar. I don't feel bad when I say "Steve, cover me, I'm just gonna use a knife." While INF is as real as it gets, it is still a game, and TDM allows us to treat as such, while we have the option of playing a hardcore gametype like DTAS (depending on the map) or EAS. I feel like TDM is my time to explore different strategies and get good with certain guns, so when I hop on GD EAS I'm more confident in my ability.
And because of Shan's USA server I've been able to have some great TDM's late night with beautiful ping, and some of my best experiences have been on there.
So thank you, Shan, I've been an SG'er for a long time.

To anyone I may have offended by supporting Shan and his TDM: Suck it up. Get over it. Give us our good-bye.

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
Sentry dropped the ball with EAS. They made a couple of good maps and a lot of fillers. Not one of them pushes the limits of EAS. Not one of them shows the full potential. That is why the community has shrunk. TDM provided a section of growth, but in much the same way that mold grows on unused bread.

When SS solved the problem of spawn camping with a quick hack, rather than good map design, that spelt the end of INF.

Pipe_Dream

Oct 22, 2004
Portland, OR
Demo,
You scared 'lil puzzy, back-up your "commander!" Crac's gay-ass said http://forums.kegnet.net/viewtopic.php?t=362 Don't backtrack, if you really feel this way, say it! Don't be a puzzy and misguide us, say what's on your mind

P.S. This is Kitty"?"

Edit: I don't know 'German', maybe Nuke or someone can help me with your accusation?

Last edited:

shan

www.clanterritory.com
Jan 29, 2000
Portland, OR
www.clanterritory.com
Crac's "accusation" is referring to the fact that the character representing "B" in your clan name is a character in the German alphabet (es-zett, or strong S) that is often in replaced English with "SS" or "ss" in other languages (like this is somehow news to the clan). To think all this time we all thought it was a fancy letter "b." :rolleyes:

Shan

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
The sniper actors aren't so bad when you know where they are. Most solid maps use them to adequately stop spawnkilling.

The problem is most people don't know where the actors are, so they frequently get killed by them. There is significant lag from the time you enter the sniper zone, to when the sniper warning is displayed. Often you are dead by the time you get warned. That's the main problem with the sniper actors as they stand IMO.

I can see how new players might get discouraged by getting killed from sniper actors...... but even I was new to the maps a long long time ago in a galax... err I mean I had to learn the maps like everyone else. I guess I just have more patience than some. :hmm: