What is the Future of INF and Sentry Studios?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
That's because the engine supports more polies and therefore, 'curves'.

You're too used to the vectorman collection of panels that make up our models.

Death Touch

Dec 7, 2003
geogob said:
Well from what I read he is pretty much listing feature of BF2, a game which implements pretty much all of them very poorly. Nothing to be impressed about.

IMHO, Joint Operations:TR & E, Battlefield 2, and RS:Raven Shield/Athena Sword have all these features to some degree or other. I never viewed them as "INF killers", not sure why anyone HAS to, mind you. I just like them better.

I personally am impressed with these. And I dont believe their features were implemented "poorly".

BTW, I love your sarcasm ,Crowze, way to go , man.

"Yes, there are lights."
LOL, awesome.:rolleyes:
Of course, that's not what I meant, but hey, who cares, right?

@Zeep: :D Thanks for the invite, I may just take you up on the offer. Hopefully there will be nice, friendly ppl playing with no cynicsm or attitudes, that would be really nice. Hopefully..........

Death Touch

Dec 7, 2003

Attachments

• 31joe.jpg
    31joe.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 42joe.jpg
    42joe.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 71BF2.jpg
    71BF2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 3044-1-1122937433.jpg
    3044-1-1122937433.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Death Touch

Dec 7, 2003
This is nice too. Ok, I believe I have stated my opinion fairly enough. No flames, gentlemen. It's just a valid opinion like yours.
Discuss if you like.

Attachments

• 31_1123515970_42f77e428d894.jpg
    31_1123515970_42f77e428d894.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 76
  • 64143_full.jpg
    64143_full.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 74
  • assaultBF2.jpg
    assaultBF2.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 49
  • ravenshieldscreen.jpg
    ravenshieldscreen.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 63

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
I don't get where this is going. Given our poly and texture limits, I'd figure it's an absolute given that there are things out there that look better.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Comparing a UT map that was made for version 2.80 (October 2000 - that is exactly 5 years ago) for free to a commercial game that has only been out a few months is hardly fair, nor is it relevant. There are many better looking maps for Inf. BF2, as they have even admitted themselves, is an arcade shooter, realism doesn't enter the picture at all.

But if you want to play that kind of game, fine. I'm just not sure what you are trying to do here.

Last edited:

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Those games all blow INF out of the water graphics-wise. But then you play them looking for realistic gameplay and realise they have NONE.

There are only two games that have realistic features that I wish INF had: AA and RvS.
AA has the authentic military feel with squads and some nice objectives in the maps. RvS has some cool ladder and door code. But that is about it. Those are the only good realism features they have that INF doesn't.

There is a good reason why many of us still play INF, there is NO OTHER realism game with ironsights out there that can beat the realistic gameplay of INF.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Featurewise there is more:

There are commercial games that have nicer implementation of scopes (small random movement) can't remember exactly but FarCry or CoD could be an example.

RO has a good implementation of machine guns where you can really use the bipod.

And there are aspects of graphic that affect gameplay a lot: smothly shaped terrain and wind moved fauna - like FarCry offers a new dimension of hiding and sneaking. Unlike now where people simply shoot every pixel out of position...

Death Touch

Dec 7, 2003
I am just showing a few examples of stuff that I like. I feel that it helps explain what I am trying to say as to why I feel that after playing games that look like this, it is hard for me to readapt to INF.

Yurch, yes, I agree, but IMHO you are just stating the obvious. This is what I am trying to show. These are the graphics that I am used to now, these are the graphics that I have come to expect now. THIS is the kind of quality I (am used to now)would be hoping to see in a NEW INF for a NEW Engine.

Please explain to me why it appears you guys feel this is simply unacceptable and foolhardy to believe in??? Or even to express in the forums?
Do you feel that SS is simply incapable of creating them? Or are you being in general negative and condesending because you can't help it?
Please explain, gentlemen.

Crowze, there is no game here.
That IS a screenshot of INF. I didn't create it, THAT IS INF. What's the problem? If YOU don't like it, I can't help matters because I posted an actual screenshot form INF.
And I still find relevance because these pics better help to explain my positon. Your dismissal of them simply does not matter. The statement was that I moved on from INF, NOT that you guys should stop playing INF BECAUSE these games are better for YOU. You yourself stated it was a screenshot form 2000, why hasn't it been updated then?
Is it my fault that your statement implies that INF is simply not of this kind of caliber and cannot compete? I am being unfair, how?
TBH, I don't really care that much what you play or don't play.I DO in fact support your decision to play whatever the hell YOU want to play, irregardless of my opinion. This should be obvious to you and everyone else here. This is simply not the thrust of my opinion though.
But disregarding a few simple screenshots of newer games that simply show quality of graphics implementation and turning it around and using it as some sort of platform is IMHO not a relevant nor helpful action, it seems you are skirting the obvious issue here.

There really hasn't been an emphasis on the realism factor in these discussions. I agree that I haven't compared reailsm features AS MUCH, but because the emphasis is again, the issue of graphics quality and SOME gameplay features that I would like to see in a FUTURE INF. AND, that this is PARTIALLY the reason why FOR ME, it is a bit difficult to get back into it like I once was.
This is not, nor ever was, an "INF SUX" thread. I don't know why there has been a turn for the worse here Perhaps because I am not exactly an INF "fanboy" to the extreme? I really don't know.
I am just adding some insight to my position.
The fact is that yes, for me, there are certain features that I like to see, and combined with the graphics quality make the game more attractive to me.

I believe there is passion in my post, I believe there is passion in many ppl's posts here as well, I just hope that it can be understood by all that having a passionate discussion of what we like is ok, but flaming, trolling , and flamebaiting should continue to not be considered as options. I hope we can be clear on this.
Thanks,

Death Touch

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
you really choosed the ugliest inf screenshot. i own raven shield and some inf maps are better graphicaly wise than RVs and the weapons models are generally better in INF.

my.php

Last edited:

Death Touch

Dec 7, 2003
Vega-don said:
you really choosed the ugliest inf screenshot. i own raven shield and some inf maps are better graphicaly wise than RVs and the weapons models are generally better in INF.
QUOTE]
I respect your opinion.
"Ugly" is subjective. However, I believe your opinion validates my current position.
I do not feel that INF maps are "better graphically" and do not believe that INF weapon models are "better" (than my examples or specifically RvS).

However, I respect your views on this.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
keihaswarrior said:
There are only two games that have realistic features that I wish INF had: AA and RvS.
AA has the authentic military feel with squads and some nice objectives in the maps. RvS has some cool ladder and door code. But that is about it. Those are the only good realism features they have that INF doesn't.
You forget AA and RvS both have separated high-ready and aimed weapon positions ;).

Meh I had some immense tactical fun with AA:O few years ago, so good that I still remember. Makes me wanna to try this again, but AA:O sucks.

@Vega-don:
Especially the EAS maps are so immensive good in INF, not worse than some high-quality RvS maps. But still. they aren't better.

@Death Touch:
Thanks, I thought I´m the one person here making such huge posts.

Aequi

ballistically challenged
Apr 23, 2001
Denmark, duh
Visit site
/lurk off
i'd just like to note that just cause people might not play the game anymore doesn't nessesarily mean that then don't hope for a new inf. mod for one of the FPS games out there....
/lurk on

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Psychomorph said:
Meh I had some immense tactical fun with AA:O few years ago, so good that I still remember. Makes me wanna to try this again, but AA:O sucks.

Well, AA 2.5 is not bad with it's new stuff. Still it is not Inf - but nothing is.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Man I get so disappointed with the lack of reaslism in new games that come out... They're all graphics and arcadish with semi-realism (CS style). No game developers take the time to put in the thought of "wait, does it really happen like that IRL?"
I guess my dream would be to learn computers at University and do it myself, and even make money out of it :D after all selling stuff is all about marketing. But that would take a while considering I still got 10 months left before I get out of the army.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Yes, Armed Assault seems as the most promising project to me. But they still have the OPF weapon positions with a crosshair (pic). Still they is no game that gives me what I wish the most, advanced 1st person realism.

I'm looking forward the large distance infantry combat in ArmAs.