EA Exec: "Unreal Engine Is Great Technology"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
At an international conference in Monte Carlo, Glenn Entis, EA Worldwide Studios exec, praised Unreal Engine 3, which they'd licensed for a few games including the upcoming Army of Two.
“It’s great technology,” Entis said of the Unreal engine. “The big change at EA was that we basically recognized that it made practical good sense. We have lots of studios building lots of games in different genres and there are lots of different technologies and technical cultures in EA, and there were clearly games and teams where the best technology we could get was Unreal.

“It also lowered production time and technical risk,” he added. “It’s different than saying there was a wholesale change in the company over to that engine, but we’ve been very happy with it.”

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
looooolz

Im surprised they didnt mention Tiberium!

Listen, Crytek... No wait, who's their publisher again :p

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Actually this is not the FIRST good thing EA's done this year. Their outcry against FoxNews was also made of immense win and awesome, which somehow makes EA of today look like..

bad guys repenting?

Pser

Jan 29, 2008
Why would EA exec say something different. Also i dont think mentioning ME on TV twice would hurt the sales. If anything, saying that it contains inappropriate things should only increase it. Free advertisement, nothing personal.

Carbonara

Feb 2, 2008
maybe im a bit skeptical in my old age, but i cant stop linking the 'u-engine is great, it sorted our development out a treat' quotes back to the silicon knights saga. There seems of of been a proliferation of such snippets since the SK legal throwdown. is it just me?

its not to say that ue wont do everything it says on the tin, i enjoy working with it day-to-day, its a lot more flexible than most off the shelves around atm.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's possible you are right. If nothing else, this makes it look better in the public eye. Frankly, I'm pretty surprised that EA said this (Crysis and all). It just goes to show that even evil corporations like Unreal Engine's tools.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Frankly, I'm pretty surprised that EA said this (Crysis and all). It just goes to show that even evil corporations like Unreal Engine's tools.

Crysis doesn't enter into this really. EA just publish Crysis, they don't own Crytek or the rights to the Cryengine. They aren't too interested in the actual engine as such and have no gain if it does well. So no reason to give the Crysis engine props from their side.

I've also heard that EA is trying to change it's image and the way it does things, recently. Specifically because of it's image with gamers who like you, think the above.

Last edited:

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
maybe im a bit skeptical in my old age, but i cant stop linking the 'u-engine is great, it sorted our development out a treat' quotes back to the silicon knights saga. There seems of of been a proliferation of such snippets since the SK legal throwdown. is it just me?

No, it's not just you. It's pretty transparent.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
There seems of of been a proliferation of such snippets since the SK legal throwdown.
Probably true, and not a surprise either. That subtle sound of SK cringing at every public pronouncement by developers and publishers of their satisfaction with UE3 is pretty entertaining. :lol:

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Why would EA exec say something different. Also i dont think mentioning ME on TV twice would hurt the sales. If anything, saying that it contains inappropriate things should only increase it. Free advertisement, nothing personal.

It's just they have to make sure that of these two the last one should be positive. People tend to remember only the last thing :)