The DOOM3 thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
First time I played Doom3 I chose the veteran difficulty. I like the introduction, it set the scene for some demon bashing nicely I think. The gamepley seemed ok for a while, a few monsters popping out of the darkness made me jump. But, after finding yet another cache of medi-packs and ammo under a flight of stairs/alcove/walkway realised I was playing a souped up frankenstien quake2/doom/survival horror borefest. There just wasn't enough to make me want to keep going.

The times I did die were when a monster suddenly spawned behind me and shot me in the back/threw a fireball/blocked me, whatever. This was just a pain in the ass as I don't hit auto-save every 2 minutes because I think it's like cheating :| After a while I just started trying to go really fast through the corridor/room maps trying to get as far as possible before I got sick of playing altogether.

What really disappointed me was that the shotgun is just not inspiring at all. It's like the flacid brother of the quake2 shotty. Lame. The double shotty in Doom2 is a cult classic, and Doom3 peed all over it's grave. I really liked the chainsaw though, and the plasma rifle was flash, but seemed weak? (well it was vet mode I guess?) The sounds and some of the graphics made me go "oooo cool, I like" but the gameplay just wasn't there. If I want to play a sp action fps I'll play Ultimate Doom/Zdoom or whatever, where the AI wont be scripted to appear smarter than it actually is.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Hey, that wasn`t the last BOSS, I made it out of hell. :)
...and what do you know??? I can run!!! went all this way without pressing the shift key to sprint! :eek: :lol:

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
I've seen someone play Doom 3 but have not played it yet. The DM looks bland, but the SP could be kinda in a fun, but not in such a way that I'd actually pay for the game. You run around, baddies spawn, you shoot, or dodge then shoot and hope not to get hit by their fireball(s), and repeat. Still, nice atmosphere and graphics. Berserk mode recreated what running around naked n' crazy on a bad trip was like for me (but in a good way). Still can't wait to upgrade and see the whole thing through for myself.

Check this out ...
http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/feature/39392
or
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/games/buzz/c.../content/p/0/39190/yahoo_hl2-trainstation.exe
for a brief bink movie of HL2's train station map.

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Just finished single player action. The most fun I`ve had in a long time. :)
..and one of the few games I`ve played to the end.

Everytime you think you are beating the last boss, a new level opens up. :p

When you get to the part where all the candles are around....and no monsters spawning around you....all hell`s about to break loose. :D

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
Rukee said:
Just finished single player action. The most fun I`ve had in a long time. :)
..and one of the few games I`ve played to the end.

Everytime you think you are beating the last boss, a new level opens up. :p

When you get to the part where all the candles are around....and no monsters spawning around you....all hell`s about to break loose. :D

But did you try it on weed? I know, blow hits into your processor's fan, get it all messed up, see what kinda crazy fx n 3dmark scores ya get.:tup:

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
oosyxxx said:
But did you try it on weed? I know, blow hits into your processor's fan, get it all messed up, see what kinda crazy fx n 3dmark scores ya get.:tup:
silly oosy!!!
The Rukee don`t use a processor fan!! :)

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! Thats ****in awesome. Dude who looks a bit like me looks like hes trippin his nuts into the depths of the Grand Canyon 2. :>

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I took some 30sec movie clips of meeting and beating the last BOSS, with alittle help from OO7MIKE, I hope to be able to compress and upload then soon. No spoilers thow....unless you want them! :p

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Rukee said:
Dude!!!
That was me running benchs for the "My e-penis" thread!! :lol:

rukee! how do I defeat what seems to be the cyber deamon? I've emptied my bfg (7 shots), plasma rifle, minigun, shotgun on it and it still wont die... eventually I died a few times by now. is there a trick of just sheer run n gun?