Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
The Raid - 5/10 Some great fight sequences reminiscent of Ong Bak and in some instances, OldBoy as well but it's all over the place.
Yayan Ruhian (bad dude) totally steals the show here - in fact, the script writers should have swapped him out for Iko Uwais (good dude)
Donnie Yen is still the man - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
It drives me nuts still that they ever cancelled the show. How could they? It was really good!
It was run on Fox. Fox dropped the ball on giving a damn by running the episodes out of order and wouldn't admit that they screwed up

Here's the broadcast listing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)#Broadcast_history
Fox ran the pilot episode damn near last and screwed up the entire lineup
It's hard to make sense of interactions/etc when the episode framing/explaining things is aired 3 weeks later

Here's the order in which the episodes were run
Episode 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 4, 5, 9, 10, 14, 1, 11, 12, 13

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Battleship-4/10

Despite all the spectacular action, monumental explosions and Avatar grade special effects this movie is a lame duck.

The story is basically ridiculous and laboured with predictable and hack dialogue. Even during the humourous dialogue I really wondered what people were finding so funny.

The first fifteen minutes of the film could have been done without. Even as a promo for a fifty year old board game this movie was weak.

Memo to producers, writers and directors: SETI? The speed of light? Hello. As of now it has not been proven that that speed can be topped. The closest system is Alpha Cenauri (4.25 light years) so phoning home may require them to wait for a while.

Lruce Bee

May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Battleship-4/10

Despite all the spectacular action, monumental explosions and Avatar grade special effects this movie is a lame duck.

The story is basically ridiculous and laboured with predictable and hack dialogue. Even during the humourous dialogue I really wondered what people were finding so funny.

The first fifteen minutes of the film could have been done without. Even as a promo for a fifty year old board game this movie was weak.

Memo to producers, writers and directors: SETI? The speed of light? Hello. As of now it has not been proven that that speed can be topped. The closest system is Alpha Cenauri (4.25 light years) so phoning home may require them to wait for a while.

Yeah, figured as much.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
True.

Battleship-4/10

Kinda bad either. Tormented by the naval war film extravaganza based on the 45-year-old board game is naturally bored as an ugly stick. Annoying script, dialogue, ugly look of aliens, and bad toning of a blockbuster hit; even the filmmaker Peter Burg was obviously found the film very unpredictable (as always). But I always love the extraordinary visuals and crisp sound effects mastery; this would be target for young audiences but no way for me. (Spoilers included below.)

My grade of the film is "C".

Seems like the naval version of the 1986 film Top Gun and the optimistic WWII. Battleship has gone worse than Michael Bay's Transformers live-action franchise. Both of them are owned by the American company Hasbro. Except for Rihanna, who doesn't seem to take care of her first acting experience while releasing her latest single "Where Have You Been" (as always).
EDIT: Okay, my another review here.
Who Can Kill a Child? (¿Quién puede matar a un niño?) (1976)
Very decent classic horror film made in Spain. A couple (Lewis Fiander and Prunella Ransome) are taking a trip to the isolated island where the man knows that he lives it from the past while he was young, but doesn't seem right the place to be is filled only with children, and I love that they are going insane and ready to kill a couple for now (of course, they're always adorable but evil looks :)B), comparing to Stephen King's late 1977 freakish Night Shift short story Children of the Corn).
Grade: B+

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Battleship-4/10

The original board game/paper game is much older than that, try double the amount you stated and you'd be closer.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The original board game/paper game is much older than that, try double the amount you stated and you'd be closer.
Whatever. They ruined the board game by making this film (not that I could really care about the board game; I never did even as a kid).

As has been said above the visuals are super-spectacular but the story is either so thin as to be non-existent or so ludicrous that it just doesn't work as sci-fi/adventure.............

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
To be fair, the pilot WAS slow and boring for most of it. I LOVE the series, but when I've tried to show other people the pilot first they just look like this:

o_O?? yawn.

Fox shouldn't have cancelled it, but I can understand why they started off with a bad impression, sadly.

It was run on Fox. Fox dropped the ball on giving a damn by running the episodes out of order and wouldn't admit that they screwed up

Here's the broadcast listing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)#Broadcast_history
Fox ran the pilot episode damn near last and screwed up the entire lineup
It's hard to make sense of interactions/etc when the episode framing/explaining things is aired 3 weeks later

Here's the order in which the episodes were run
Episode 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 4, 5, 9, 10, 14, 1, 11, 12, 13

[Edit to stay on topic]
Immortals 2/10: ridiculous plotting, gaping plot holes, crappy pacing, and the Big Bad Weapon everyone was fighting over? Vibrated like a toy from the $0.99 store.

Last edited:

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
And Now Something Completely Different (1971) (A-)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) (A)
Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) (A-)
Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl (1982) (B)
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983) (B+)

All of five Monty Python movies are the funniest, superior and attractive. :)

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Wrath of the Titans 7/10

I'm still staring at the "7" there and wondering, "How did that happen?"

There are some serious failings in this production. The most serious of which is the poorly written script. A some points characters talk to themselves in order to explain stuff. We don't even get the effort of a voice-over. The ongoing "daddy" issues are done to excess.

So, why "7"?

Well the action is really good, even if some of it mimics scenes from Transformers and other movies.

There are a couple of good frights and the pacing is pretty good.

Definitely worth a DVD purchase (but maybe not a Blu-ray).

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
I just wish they would for once not boil it down and instead make a good movie about it. :/

same here, but you can bet your ass they'd turn it into some tweeny twilight crap (prime example that crappy Percy Jackson) rather than something mature. I mean c'mon, Greek Mythology is chock full of sex, murder and betrayal.

Lruce Bee

May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
IPMan - 9/10 - Superb martial Arts movie with Donnie Yen portraying (at liberty)the life & times of Bruce Lee's teacher, Yip Man.
What set's this apart from most movies in this genre is the cinematography - it really is beautifully filmed with massive attention to detail for the time period depicted.
The 10 man dojo duel is just awesome - Yen is absolutely boss here.

Battleship - 3/10 - As alien invasion films go, this sits almost at the bottom of the pile.
No hoper bum Alex Hopper with no job, no money and no prospects is bailed out of trouble by his older brother, Stone, to join the Navy and within minutes of the film starting, somehow he's already an officer on board a naval destroyer - so how exactly did this happen? - who knows but his promotion is catapulted even further to that of captain when the alien armada suddenly bobs it's head above the surface and starts doing what alien invasion forces do best, namely laying waste to everything and anything, then asking questions later.
Somehow, captain Alex Hopper finds a way of manouevering a 10 billion ton naval warship like it was a jet ski and manages to outfox a transformer with the firepower of a super star destroyer by playing a digital version of battleships - I mean seriously, WTF?