"Expanded Onslaught"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
now if only I were that young. but like i said i ain't bothering with u no more (argument wise).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
XMP is dead...or will be in 6 months. There is no reason to drag it out.

If devs/someone else wants to extend it's life by making it for 2k4 you should support them in it, not argue that they should be helping with the game that already exists, that no matter what you do, is not going to get any new additional players (except maybe one straggler).

IndianPsycho

Feb 17, 2004
www.free-monkey.com
Dai said:
It does - why do you think they're breaking compatibility between 2003 and 2004?

Mainly because of Engine changes :p

Dai said:
You're some piece of work for a thirteen year old, Dead Metal. :lol:

Dead_Metal said:
I ring in at 16 and I happen to be smarter than I should be.......a lil too smart.

----

Dead_Metal, you really don't have to bash people who disagree with you/do not like XMP...

Last edited:

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Everyone has their two cents to chuck in, too bad yours just went too far off target. Sir_Brizz, to u it may be dead, but to me as long as one person plays the game, it will not be dead. And I don't intend for it to die.

this was typed before Indian's post, and yes Indian, ty for the advice, I'm trying to stay calm about it X_X. hmmm need music playing - anyways mapping

Last edited:

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Dai said:
LOL.
And Twrecks said there was no arrogance on this forum.

I can only speak for myself ;)
You and I have been in/around these forums for years and know the difference between stating opinion and flaming. Obviously there's some ppl that feal pretty strong about XMP here. After all the UT2004 demo all but killed the online surge and with Atari's spotty master server support there's a heap of frustration. So you should expect a little animosity for proporting UT2004.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
WoT is a good game but it's hardly alive. XMP is going to end up the same way with less than a cult following than Unreal1 even has right now.

Indian: 2k4 broke compatibility with 2k3 because of NETWORK CODE CHANGES (read many recent interviews with Cliff Bleszinski). They were originally planning on making it so 2k4 owners could play on 2k3 server but took that out because of how different the network code became. It is NOT an arguable point that 2k4 is a more polished game than XMP given the fact it had two to three times more people working on it and twice as long to work on it.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
oh at last im gotten to the end of this looong thread... 2 pages of it...

ehm erm... (clears throat imaginitively) i thought xmp wouldnt install unless you had the unreal 2 install cd? so its kinda tied to unreal 2, right... if we can introduce to other people this xmp concept , or any improvements of it, i think it's reasonable to expect people to like it....

----dont read below this if you dont want to----

and i think that the reason ut2k3 wont work with 2k4 is because of the vehicle code, and it looks like the vehicles are more similar to the former than the latter(stiff/non existent suspension, tank-like handling, etc etc)... for a game with such an emphasis on vehicles like xmp, better vehicle code would be nice... but this is at the risk of overcomplicating things by having both xmp and onx existing at the same time and they are so similar to each other...

umm i liked the idea of a linked power system like in ons, but with the stressful hacking time thats associated with xmp... having them linked kind of stops the base rapes, and seeing the enemy coming is going to let the game make alot more sense than being base raped...

hmm about the classes... yeah being forced into 3 classes makes the developers of xmp look abit lazy, its like a paper-scissors-stone thing going on and its dead easy to balance compared to more complex team based games... what i was thinking, is like, players get a certain set of points , and these points can be distributed to different attributes, and the balancing would then lie in how much each attribute increases per point given , so that everything that you can do is evenly easy/difficult... like have an insanely fast character thats just about naked, or someone with so much armor all the ammo that the opposite team starts with wont take him down but all he can do is stand there... and theres this 'preview' character spinning around in the menu that shows what character class model you'll end up with depending on the choices you made

and i also like the planetside-style 'ams' idea, the mobile spawn truck... except for the automatically losing shields part, instead i think that the huge turrets on any good xmp map would make the spawn truck , with all its armor, a very satisfying target... also it should stay still when its respawning, but thats common sense already...

yeah i think that xmp should be brought over to ut2k4, and definitely use the improved vehicle codes from that game ... to me, xmp is just a concept, thats executed poorly on the current unreal 2 engine , a concept just like deathmatch or ctf , and it depends on how well its implemented...

ah and also... the artifact base seems abit... hmm... boring... just this altar that you run right through with 4 smokey artifacts on its edges... when i looked at xmp the first time, i thought of the artifacts from the single player unreal 2 and how you had to go between planets etc etc to grab all of them, except i ignored the stupid ending of how theyre used etc etc but thats another matter....
the way the artifacts are put in the maps could have been a teeny wee li'l bit better... like being placed in different parts of the base,and only the capture-machine (with the final game-winning artifact)is at the middle... but maybe thats pushing it too close to assault or something, like some 2-way base siege or something...

Last edited:

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
Mr.Magnetichead said:
50 Active players is hardly alive.

50 active players at any one point in time. Don't forget, our friends internationally play this game too. What seems like 50 is actually 500+ rotating on and off the servers at random all hours of the day.

XMP isn't dead, it's just crippled. All the CXP has to do is introduce things that UT2k4 doesn't have or didn't do right and expand upon the hallmarks of XMP. More maps, more vehicles, and more gameplay that the current maps lack will ultimately renew interest in XMP.

Although I will say that I support XON as well. But, as everyone who has played XMP knows the game is either over immediately or a long fought out war. UT2k4 is always fast paced rapid changes in who's leading with fragging everywhere. For me, one or the other is good depening on my mood.

-Myr

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
GameSpy: UT2004 was originally supposed to be backwards compatible with UT2003, but due to drastic improvements in network code, that's no longer possible. What kinds of improvements have been made to UT2004's netcode?
Cliffy B: Just an overall hell of a lot of a lot of cleanup. Network performance is one of those things that, in the Unreal engine, you can be smart about what you send from client to server. Send the bare minimum and let prediction fill in the gaps. By being intelligent about what eats up bandwidth the programmers were able to maximize the engine's online abilities.

http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/march04/cliffyb/index2.shtml

GOSH you people pay NO ATTENTION! :mad:

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Karma collision code was also upgraded from 2k3 to 2k4. I've still found a few holes in it (like for terrain, movers and vehicles). Epic is doing a fine job progressing the Unreal Engine. In a few years or less there will be a true 64 bit version of Unreal available, and that will spell the end to all the current game mods. Uh not. PPL will have old hardware and poor internet connections for some time, which is why CS remains popular because you can play it with below min spec rigs required for Unreal powered games.

IndianPsycho

Feb 17, 2004
www.free-monkey.com
Sir_Brizz said:
2k4 broke compatibility with 2k3 because of NETWORK CODE CHANGES (read many recent interviews with Cliff Bleszinski). They were originally planning on making it so 2k4 owners could play on 2k3 server but took that out because of how different the network code became.

I stand corrected ;)

Sir_Brizz said:
It is NOT an arguable point that 2k4 is a more polished game than XMP given the fact it had two to three times more people working on it and twice as long to work on it.

Uhhh...I never said a word about that :p
Considering the resources LE had for XMP, they did a fine job IMO.

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
yes, Legend did a good job. neways - carmatic gave me an idea......ty carmatic :}

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
aah glad i gave you an idea... i think im just good at givin ideas..

and what might that idea be?

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
to have each team pick up the artis out on the field in random locations so that until the team picks up their corresponding arti's and bring em back to the base, the game can't began, so no real base whoring in that. - just working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.