"Expanded Onslaught"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
um right, so your gonna go sugar rush right? plus its not really ctf on steroids when u can actually make a come back by stealing back your own capt'd arti.. last i checked u couldn't do that in CTF - classes make it diverse, gives players choices, adds team organization to the mix along with the team play elemnt and well makes it friggin cool. So by trying to even suggest to remove it you've already blundered. And not only that your kinda forum whoring by asking some ppl from this place who like xmp to go over to your site and completely change the way XMP is. thanks. now is there rules against forum whoring?

Dai

Orgasmetron
Apr 2, 2000
Finding a new low
Visit site
Dead_Metal said:
um right, so your gonna go sugar rush right?

Sugar rush? What the hell are you talking about?

plus its not really ctf on steroids when u can actually make a come back by stealing back your own capt'd arti.. last i checked u couldn't do that in CTF

Great.. so it has flags that you can capture back - what an innovation on CTF! Give who ever came up with that one a cookie! :lol:

classes make it diverse, gives players choices, adds team organization to the mix along with the team play elemnt and well makes it friggin cool. So by trying to even suggest to remove it you've already blundered.

Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? Which your perfectly entitled too.
I, on the other hand, feel that classes can often become redundant and forced, especially in XMP. I don't think the gameplay would've changed much if all the characters spawned with the same abilites and weapons.

And not only that your kinda forum whoring by asking some ppl from this place who like xmp to go over to your site and completely change the way XMP is. thanks. now is there rules against forum whoring?

WTF... I'm just stating my honest opinion, and I'm "whoring"? I don't even know what you mean by "forum whoring". Trolling?
I guess this place is more embattled and ingrown than I thought.

I've not asked anybody here "to go over to my site", whatever that is supposed to mean (unless you mean that I posted an url, but there's hardly anything wrong with that).
I asked for opinions on what makes XMP good, and what elements should be carried over to a mod that mixes the best elements from both XMP and Onslaught into something new.

Last edited:

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Well I like the seperation of Power and Spawn points over Onslaught's mixed node arrangement. Hacking is also a nice feature, providing you can indicate this clearly. XMP's mini HUD radar map is nice addition over the box Onslaught version.
I also like the whole "CTF on steroids" approach, allows for saves/returns and puts players under more importance when carrying an artifact. Kinda like "Carry the flag" only with more flags. The class structure is nice too, only I'm sick of trick jumping, a feature which turned me off 2k3, and probably 2k4. I'll never learn to dodge so removing "trick" moves is one thing I am for, difficult to do because these aren't typically intentional the extent abuse can be found after a release.
One thing Onslaught has going for it, there will be no short games. In XMP base rape with two players snatching the artifacts and returning for a quick double cap can occur as fast as a pair of rangers can jump accross the map. In CTF, they would have to do this 3 times. In Onslaught a link must be made between nodes, you can see the attack coming. If XMP didn't start with enough power to register an artifact without also gaining a power supply, maybe tis would stop short games from happening. Another answer would be more artifacts, but really this increases the odds of a stalemate. Think of CTf, there are flag whores playing Deathmatch, can be worse in XMP only arti-carriers show up on the radar, and vehicles (and you can hear them anyways, just another visual que). I think the "upgrade" weapon sticks kinda suck in ONS. The predefined class weapons/attributes are nicely balance in XMP. I've already stated somewhere my abhorance of arsenal in a back pack mentality of UT, XMP quells this somewhat. Adding a wieght limit for carried items or some kind of possesion control that plays well is still required, XMP's power scale does this a bit allowing for more weapon choices as power increases.
I think the vehicle code in ONS is better and the physics better, but this can be redone in XMP as all the settings are there just need to be tweaked. Expanding the XMP vehicle code is also required for more varied craft, and I'm working on that. But agmenting the vehicles doesn't make XMP anymore ONS like. ONS requires very specific attack/defense localized based on a single place in the map at any given time, XMP players have to consider many elements: spawn points, generators, vehicles, deployables and of course the arti's. ONS doesn't have deployables, other than the spider mines which are ghey IMO. Am I allowed an opinion without being an arrogant sister-banger?
Sure there are a few things I'd like to change, but I'd rather just add more content for now. I wish you luck on XON DAI.

sam-man

Jan 29, 2004
Dead_Metal said:
Major, no, i'm not gonna respond to that at all, its too beneath me to do so.

Isn't that technically a response?
Dead, if Major would like a UT2k4 mod with what he liked about XMP, how is that your beef?

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Making an XMP conversion to ut2k4 is an insult, even though it might advertise XMP how would it pull ppl from ut2k4 to go to XMP if they already have it for that game, they could save themselves money. Your slapping me in the face by saying lets give it to the ppl that payed for ut2k4, although I have advocated taht XMP should be released freely but still that makes it XMP still, not ut2k4-XMP now doesn't it?

Also, Dai out of what Twrecks said, most of it was saying how the artis are a good thing and that classes are a good thing too - basically goes against what you were saying anyways.

Classes make it a choice because PPL HAVE TO CHOOSE what they want to be thus making it a choice. Orienting ppl to think on what they should be. Oh look a sniper on the hill, maybe i should be a sniper instead of a gunner, but still it is a choice.

Nemephosis - XMP players were recently turned off of XMP due to the events that took place this past week where the master server was down, I learned this to be a fact after registering and starting a topic on the p-a site.

"A bunch of us over on the Atari Unreal 2 forum have been discussing the possiblities of a mod that mixes the best from XMP and onslaught (tentatively titled "XON").

http://ina-community.com/forums/sho...threadid=352711

We've got some good ideas so far, but I'm interested in hearing what you people think should be carried over from XMP." <<< thats what u said Dai, if you left out the forum site then you wouldn't be forum whoring. unless of course you were asked, "what forum is that, can u link it?" cause then u would just be answering a question now wouldn't u?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Dead - Most XMP players got turned off to XMP when it became very clear that the game wouldn't survive. If you notice, a few weeks before the UT2k4 Demo even came out, player numbers had dropped to somewhere around 500. When the game first came out they settled around 1100 (iirc) so hardly any players left in the last two weeks versus the time before that.

Dai

Orgasmetron
Apr 2, 2000
Finding a new low
Visit site
Dead_Metal said:
Making an XMP conversion to ut2k4 is an insult, even though it might advertise XMP how would it pull ppl from ut2k4 to go to XMP if they already have it for that game, they could save themselves money. Your slapping me in the face by saying lets give it to the ppl that payed for ut2k4, although I have advocated taht XMP should be released freely but still that makes it XMP still, not ut2k4-XMP now doesn't it?

I don't understand this point of view. Why is it an insult? On one hand, you're bemoaning the fact that XMP isn't given enough attention, on the other hand you want to "see XMP hit grandscale".

I think the reasons for why people aren't playing XMP are simple:

1) Not many like or play Unreal 2. The relationship to that game is enough to put people off. Not to mention the technical issues related to XMP.

2) There are more interesting games out there, notably Onslaught and Battlefield-whatever.

3) XMP really isn't that interesting or deep once you get past the surface complextiy (a term coined by Steven Poole. It's basically surface complexity vs depth complexity. XMP has very little of the latter).

I really don't understand the advantages of keeping it restricted to Unreal 2 - but then I'm not really interested in playing an anally retandant update of XMP that's marooned on Unreal 2, or a straight port for UT2004. XMP just isn't good enough to keep my interest.

If someone was going to do a straight port of XMP to UT2004, there wouldn't be much you could do about number 3, but at least you could bring it to where the players are, and you'd get a better code base.

Also, Dai out of what Twrecks said, most of it was saying how the artis are a good thing and that classes are a good thing too - basically goes against what you were saying anyways.

Uh, yeah. And?

I was thanking Twrecks for providing good feedback and for wishing me good luck. I don't have to agree with all of his opinions, but I'm thankful that he was able to share them in a grown up manner.

Classes make it a choice because PPL HAVE TO CHOOSE what they want to be thus making it a choice. Orienting ppl to think on what they should be. Oh look a sniper on the hill, maybe i should be a sniper instead of a gunner, but still it is a choice.

You're contradicting yourself. Players are given a choice by being forced into one? Makes sense.

if you left out the forum site then you wouldn't be forum whoring. unless of course you were asked, "what forum is that, can u link it?" cause then u would just be answering a question now wouldn't u?

You're too funny.

You actually take offense to someone posting a link. Well, what the hell are you doing on the internet, son, cause there are links all over the place! :lol:

My url was completely in context of my post. I made it so that I wouldn't have to copy/paste tons of stuff out of context from the other thread. If anyone were interested, they could check it out themselves.

But if you find urls offensive, then you must have some fundamental physicological issues that you're dealing with. I hope you're recieving proffesional help.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2002
London 1905
Visit site
sam-man said:
Isn't that technically a response?
Dead, if Major would like a UT2k4 mod with what he liked about XMP, how is that your beef?

It's just U2 leetism.

he obviously belives sticking by a dieing game makes him look cool to people in all walks of life. Especially women.

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Okay some points u made are valid, but not many - like u thanking Twrecks, thats one. Cause XMP is not bound to unreal 2, XMP was built from a completely new code other than that of Unreal 2. Also that whole thing about force into a choice? wtf is that, thats like saying any choice is forced cause you are always made to make one. How dumb does that sound? very. Now I wouldn't know about ut2k4 having a better net code, but if it does, then cool, but really does that make it better than XMP? Also that link that you posted was directly to your forum was it not? because you were asking ppl for help weren't you (but w/e dropping this subject)? The thing is, that by moving XMP to ut2k4 will only make ppl like ut2k4, not want to go play XMP when they have it on ut2k4, so why do that, why not make XMP - THE ACTUAL XMP, even more appealing to the gaming community by making mods, mutators, and by all means expanding it.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Dead_Metal said:
Basically he is saying to make an XMP based game and put it on ut2k4 without the classes. - Classes are what make XMP so ****ing good, not only that but also its the fact that its XMP and not ut styled, so why take the best of two worlds and make it into something else? - u know ppl who eat too much candy (good thing ya know) end up suffering for it. - plus why not make ppl who purchase ut2k4 get XMP on their own

Your ****ing retarded.

The xmp classes are just the TEAM FORTRESS classes combined into three instead of 7. The ones they combined are dumb as hell imo. The way they did the classes is one of the reasons the game sucks to be honest. Combining the medic, sniper and scout classes is dumb, super snipers is one of the things that most TF ripoffs do very, very wrong with their mods, its some sort of unwritten rule to **** that up. There really isnt anything in xmp thats original to begin with, mostly things from other games that are changed, usually for the worse (capture gametype), the power system is the only thing i would give them credit for and is the only thing that could really be considered "cloned" from xmp.

People arnt just going to magically start playing XMP, less and less will play each day... the game had lots of problems that will never be fixed most likely, changing it is the only way to do it right, otherwise might as well not bother and let it finish dying, as a matter of fact, it would be more like making at teamfortress mod anyway with vehicles and a power system more than it would be making a xmp mod.

They have some good ideas so far, it will be nice to see what happens, it doesnt even sound like a xmp ripoff mod anyway.

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
To say that one game isn't a rip off of another in a certain view is bull ****. Oh look i can kill ppl in quake, and i can kill ppl in UT its obviously a rip off X_X -> If you don't like XMP, don't play it, but u don't help by dissing it and advocating how much it blows in your opinion. I tried playing team fortress, wouldn't install so I don't know much about it. :\ -> The classes keep it simple, focused, and balanced - along with team orientation, or did you miss that part of the game?

Dai

Orgasmetron
Apr 2, 2000
Finding a new low
Visit site
Dead_Metal said:
Also that whole thing about force into a choice? wtf is that, thats like saying any choice is forced cause you are always made to make one.

I guess you don't understand the not-so-subtle difference between a casual choice that you can make if you want to, and an ultimatum that's forced on you.

Now I wouldn't know about ut2k4 having a better net code, but if it does, then cool, but really does that make it better than XMP?

It does - why do you think they're breaking compatibility between 2003 and 2004? And yes, better netcode would make XMP better, because it's an online game. You'd think that would be obvious to everyone who's ever played online.
Another bonus you'd get from porting it to 2004 would be bots for those who want to play offline. All in all, you'd get a better mod.

Also that link that you posted was directly to your forum was it not? because you were asking ppl for help weren't you ?

Eh, no, I did not post because I wanted help. I wanted opinions on what makes XMP good.
I have to wonder , despite the copy/pasting you've been doing, if you actually read my first post. Not even in the thread I linked to was anyone asking for help.

The thing is, that by moving XMP to ut2k4 will only make ppl like ut2k4, not want to go play XMP when they have it on ut2k4, so why do that, why not make XMP - THE ACTUAL XMP, even more appealing to the gaming community by making mods, mutators, and by all means expanding it.

Uh. Your logic, if you can call it logic, is flawed.

People who own UT2004, and who would be thinking about downloading an XMP mod for UT2004, probably already like UT2004. You've got it the wrong way around. Porting XMP to UT2004 could ONLY be a good thing. You'd get more people liking XMP, you'd get more people playing.
There's no downside to it at all, provided someone capable are doing the porting.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Dead_Metal said:
To say that one game isn't a rip off of another in a certain view is bull ****. Oh look i can kill ppl in quake, and i can kill ppl in UT its obviously a rip off X_X -> If you don't like XMP, don't play it, but u don't help by dissing it and advocating how much it blows in your opinion. I tried playing team fortress, wouldn't install so I don't know much about it. :\ -> The classes keep it simple, focused, and balanced - along with team orientation, or did you miss that part of the game?

Ever heard of LINE BREAK?

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
For XON on UT2k4....

I like the idea of having to build power connections out to something like a garage or two or helipad or something in order to use the vehicles. That's a nice touch that allows a team to invade another's base and slowly disable them. I do think an added layer of internal base defenses would be needed then.

As for hacking and power, I like the XMP power generator setup. In ONS you just shoot at the thing and it'll be destroyed. In XMP you actually have to put yourself at risk, run up to it, hack, and then get out or defend. The ability to power up specific parts of your base allows a team to make a comeback by shutting down the opponent's lifeline.

For deploy points I think both the XMP and ONS deploys suck. We should have a large convoy type truck on some maps that don't feature deploy points scattered around the map. This convoy truck could be a moble deploy and defense vehicle. It should have a lot of armor and defense, but the armor should be weakened or removed once it gets within a certain distance of the enemy base in order to prevent an absolute seige. And I do think energy and deploy points should be separated, unlike in ONS. Teleporting between deploy points like in ONS should stay though.

For making classes, players should select a body style (skin and bones/terrorist, light/ranger, medium/tech, mid-heavy/engineer, heavy/gunner). These classes should also define the first weapon a player gets (terrorists/bombs, ranger/sniper rifle, tech/assult rifle, engineer/gattling gun, gunner/rocket launcher) and also their movement, hacking, and jump ability.

I'll say more as I think of it.

-Myr

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Bots would be nice but all in all it would make mapping more straining cause we would have to not only map for ppl but map for bot support in order to make it at least challenging. but enough is enough. I'm not gonna argue over this ****. I like xmp, you may not, i don't ****ing care, just quit your bull **** and either play, or go - there is no in between here.

Status
Not open for further replies.