PLEASE check out my new map I NEED BETA TESTERS!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

doofie_destructor

Uber Fanatical God-Like Member
Jul 3, 2001
<bEhInD yOu>
Visit site
The map is worth the download......it is rather large, but worth it. It puts a definite hurtin on my geforce ddr 1 gig t'bird setup.

Some things I noticed:

Large (huge, football sized) bsp hole on mound that the lighthouse sits on...only visible from one base (I forget which one).

You gotta have bot support. A map this big demands either 400 players or the ability to add mega bots. :)

There is a doppler/reverb/whatever prob. with the water dripping echo in the cavern under the lighthouse. This is similar to the sound bug that I get in November. Maybe turn off doppler shifting in there to see if that fixes it.

This map has got ladders!!! It is difficult to produce these and make them work correctly....KUDOS!

Also, you have done a nice job with some eye candy...the lighthouse mover is sweet, as is the view from the boat/dingy to the back of the base. The texturing on the bridge has been done well. I think you should modify the lighting to take advantage of a possible horizon lighting scheme.......not many maps are able to pull this off. Go on and make the water into the distance lighted enough so that you can see to the horizon.

The overall lighting on the island is a little flat....though much, much better than, say, Civil War (which uses the same texture). The sky texturing could be a little better. Don't know what to suggest tho. Overall, this is a fantastic lowgrav map that will also work with regular grav. There did not seem to be any inaccesible areas. Though, in regular gravity, entering the opponents base can be a chore without the translocator.

This map could produce some epic CTF matches....keep up the good work.

dd

I burnt this map onto my "Map CD" and brought it to today's LAN PARTY... We had a few.. err.. hundred rounds on this map. We were playing on our P4's and everything was smooth.

This map displays Rot's incredible mapping ability on a very large scale. Texture use in some areas is a little plain and repetitive, but I guess that's what it really would look like in life. Only, there werent any light houses in the castle age. The cliffs can be deadly you have to be carful around enemies with rocket launchers. I think the working ladders are the key point to this map. But, I have seen this done before. It looks as if they are planks set across two beams and the player would "walk" up them as if he was on a staircase.

I suggest you download this map and try it yourself! Oh, the bot pathing doesn't seem to be there at all though.. So only play it online (or run around alone)

Rotarypower

Jul 1, 2001
Cary, NC
Visit site
K-man:

Thanks for giving my map the true test of online play. You're the first, I think, to give it such a test, even I have not been able to do this as I can't get anyone to play test it with me.

I agree with all your comments, the textures (especially the grass terrain) do get repetitive, and I did take some liberties with a lighthouse of this size set in medieveal times, although I do remember when I visited England seeing remains of ancient lighthouses (not as big, however). And my ladder brushes are built just like a real ladder, with two side beams and small rungs in between. The game engine treats the ladder pretty much like an extremely steep staircase, but it seems to work. It does get a little hairy trying to climp the very long ladders. You have to look up and stay in the middle in order to not fall off the side, but, I guess this is exactly the case in reality. And finally, I have not completed the nodepathing etc. for bot support. However, this will be complete for the next, final release. It's a huge challenge because of the complexity of the map, and the fact that this is my first map, so I am learning all of this as I try to make it work in the context of a huge, outdoor map with ladders everywhere.

Since you are the first to really, truely play the map as intended, what do you think about the weapon/ammo/health placement? I think I might redo some of it. Did you play regular gravity or low gravity? How difficult did you find it to "cap" the flag? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Rotarypower

doofie_destructor

Jul 3, 2001
<bEhInD yOu>
Visit site
sniping....

seems that the lighthouse, which should provide the ultimate in placement for master snipers, is too far away from either of the bases to snipe......anything but the front wall of the castles is out of range....pity. Perhaps that is why the midway turrets exist.

still love the map, tho!

Rotarypower

Jul 1, 2001
Cary, NC
Visit site
Sniping Riffle Range

Doof:

Yep, we've discussed this one before. I modified the values for the sniper riffle actor which dictate weapon range, however, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am not sure whether this is hard coded into the engine or the sniper riffle actor script. I looked at the script, didn't see anything that immediately jumped out that controlled this, however, I most definately could be wrong (I don't remember).

If anyone out there knows how to increase the distance of the sniper riffle (or any other weapon, for that matter), please let me know. I probably should start a new thread with this question. Originally when I did work on this problem (many months ago) I posted the question on the Unreal.ed forums and got one response that said do what I mentioned above. Alas, this did not work.

However, I agree with your comment, unfortunately, unless somebody has a solution, I don't see a way to remedy this issue short of redoing the terrain.

Thanks,
Rotary...

doofie_destructor

Jul 3, 2001
<bEhInD yOu>
Visit site
nads...

seems like no one is taking a look at this map. pity. This map is really quite innovative in what it accomplishes. Perhaps the few that have d/l'd it have only got good things to say ;)

CousCous

Hysteric
Mar 20, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
Wow, huge map. Definitely ran choppy on my system, but wasn't too bad. 'Course I didn't get to play it with any bots moving around or anything. I agree with whoever said that the grass textures get a little monotonous, maybe a little more rock textures?...I dunno...might not look good. The first step on the lighthouse is too high, have to jump to get up.

But it's definitely a very cool map...loved the ladders. If you could bring down the poly count somehow, it would kickass, but I suppose that would entail starting from scratch...

Let us know when the botpathing is done, I want to try it again with like...twenty bots. ;)

Rotarypower

Jul 1, 2001
Cary, NC
Visit site
CousCous:

Yes, it is a huge map. The terrain is definately a memory hog. What are your system spec's? What graphics card are you running?

I plan on fixing the first step of the lighthouse, that's an easy one. However, not much I can do with the poly count short of starting over. I'm glad you like the ladders.

I will start working on the bot pathing very soon. I plan on one more release of the map in which everything possible will be fixed. I'll let you know when its available.

Thanks,
Rotarypower

dfygrvty

Jul 1, 2001
www.cse.msu.edu
wow.

I've been on vacation but reading the posts once every now and then. I'm excited to get my hands on this map. just thought I should extend my congrats to you rotar. sounds like a good map.