Titanfall

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I don't about "UT-like". That's stretching it a lot but it definitely looks good.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I don't about "UT-like". That's stretching it a lot but it definitely looks good.

Sure...overstating it a touch, but it does have a certain similarity to me in terms of all-out action. These days games are all about pacing, set pieces and hand-holding; this game just looks like a full-on wall-to-wall brawl.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
To be honest it just looks like call of duty/battlefield but with mechs. Even the creators are from Infinity Ward.

It will most likely have all the perks an customization bullshit that makes it more about you and grinding and less about action.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
To be honest it just looks like call of duty/battlefield but with mechs. Even the creators are from Infinity Ward.

It will most likely have all the perks an customization bullshit that makes it more about you and grinding and less about action.

Of course it has the same gameplay than the current mainstream, which is why I'm less enthusiastic about the game. I like the idea of infantry and mecha, but have doubt that I will enjoy actually playing it.

It's the same repeating story with me and modern games. I like the stories and concepts, but not the execution.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think it looks really fun. I'm definitely excited to try it, but I was excited to try UT3 as well :p

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Yeah, it's pretty much Infinity Ward making this so it's unsurprising that it looks like call of duty with mechs and jetpacks. Thus, I'm not particularly interested. I do think it'd be interesting to see sales from COD shift to this franchise and see Activision's cash cow finally being drained though.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Sales won't shift. Average Joe hasn't a clue who built what and knows nothing about this company or it's history.

I'm also willing to bet this will be free to play with grindy unlocks.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I'm also willing to bet this will be free to play with grindy unlocks.
No to the first one but the second one... Since this IS made by Infinity Ward, you can BET on the second one. >_> I hate multiplayer progression systems.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Everything I've seen indicates there's not enough content for it to be anything else. I'm expecting one to three game modes (most likely one), with five to seven maps. A progression system with unlocks for your pilot and mech seems inevitable, and to me it seems like the obvious place to monetise it, rather than an up front fee.

I'd like to be proven wrong on all accounts though!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I thought I saw an interview where they talked about it not being free to play. Of course, I can't find it now...

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Dang, you boys are jaded!

:p

Sure, complaints noted and perhaps valid, but I think it still looks fun and to be honest, it has a certain energy that games are missing these days. Maybe I am wrong and only a full release will tell for sure, but it seems to have a spirit - a certain straightforwardness - that hasn't been seen in a while. So many games these days are all pretension, navel-gazing productions full of set pieces that don't really want to you to mess them up by playing. This one seems like at least it was made for fun and doesn't take itself uber-seriously.

Again, maybe I am wrong, but I am looking forward to it.

EDIT: Upon re-reading my post I think it is clear that I am missing UT. I can't say that UT desperately needs another iteration now, but I would buy it and seeing as I have been playing a lot of it these days, I guess this game just had something....intangible...but something along those lines.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah, it's pretty much Infinity Ward making this so it's unsurprising that it looks like call of duty with mechs and jetpacks. Thus, I'm not particularly interested.

:con:

I concur, BF4 is like CoD but with vehicles and slower.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
:con:

I concur, BF4 is like CoD but with vehicles and slower.

Of course. I cant even tell game-play footage apart.

>Shoot someone
>Kill+100; Revenge+50; headshot+200; bullet ricocheted off the moon assist+5; enemy thumb landed in water +20

Really, you cant tell the differences. Even in Planetside 2 it is not possible to get a normal frag. I mean, BF2 is the one that started the unlocks and level up. COD took it to a new level. Now every shooter copies the model. From the gameplay footage, Titanfall looks no different.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm hoping the fact this is using the Source engine guarantees a Steam release. It is EA Partners, so there is no forced Origin requirement.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I'm hoping the fact this is using the Source engine guarantees a Steam release. It is EA Partners, so there is no forced Origin requirement.
Well damn, I did not realize that was Source. From the trailers it really just looks like the modified idtech that they have been using. Now I'm a bit more curious about the game.