Discussion: map vote design

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
In games that use vertical map list in voting dialog, people often vote for maps on top of that list and dont bother to scroll down to select map in middle or botom. So in these games only few maps has huge popularity, while others hard to find on any servers. By the way, lowest popularity in midst of list (people vote sometimes for least popular maps — that on bottom)

Thats how map vote designed in UT2004 and UE2 engine games (RO).
UT3 uses veird system: they placed in order how it was assigned in server config (thats why WAR-Downtown always on top, and people vote for it)

Worst system i've seen, though, in Mani Admin Plugin (Source engine games) when vote pops up and you always accidentally press 1 (reset timelimit; thus making current game longer)

I've seen other voting system in Source mod. Its list, adcually, but it only shows 5 random maps from all map pool. My favorite.

I have an idea for UI designers: what if make map circle instead of map list? It would only work with limited number of maps, so map circle would show randomly 12 maps from all installed maps on server.

p.s. this thread is not UT-only related.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Zynthetic, how is that?
Having a different map voting system is intrinsically something for idiots?

I'd say the main complaint here, as I see the OP has probably played counterstrike (source), is that people play the same maps over and over and over again.
In CS it's de_dust2
In UT2k4, it's DM-Rankin
In UT3 it's probably Biohazard
In Warsow, it's WCA1.
In Q3, it's Camping Grounds.

The question is if gamers really want to be 'forced' to play the other maps.
I can see on public servers that if people wanted to play de_dust2, but couldn't vote for it and had to play one of five other less popular maps, they'd just disconnect and find another server that was configured to be a de_dust2-only server.

Systems like these probably only work if they are implemented in the game itself upon launch, so that people are quickly acquainted with all of the maps instead of just the demo map.
Adding it later will only annoy the users.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
It's shotgun logic. If there are idiots that know no better and play, everyone that plays is an idiot that knows no better; no exceptions.
No thanks. If I have to pay for it I'll use it however I want, even if it is like an idiot would.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
Hehe, Argumentum ad numerum.

I remember in UT2004, we even sometimes voted for least popular maps (CTF-CBP2-Botanic) and people even enjoyed it, so we played it more often... not all people, though. Small initiative group actually proved that its cool map. How we convinced people to play it? ... we just artificially raised it in vote list. Yes, you know, just vote for map after it launghed, so it raised in ranks :lol:
Same for ONS-Aridoom,
(btw, why the pack this map from, called XP? It works well in other systems)
required some "black SEO magic" to have chance this map to be played (I just set up experiment, would this map be voted if i artifically raise it in ranks?)

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
That's not the reason people vote for Biohazard. That mappack was called XP because it was first released only for Windows, and it was done in some intricate way at first.

Last edited: