UE3 - UT3 Need Help w/Weapon Modding: Getting model into game (naming convention issues?)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DigitalProphet

Nov 30, 2008
Greetings,

I am a student at the Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy, and as a self-directed project a couple of us have created a new game mode, new weapon types, etc. We have one last obstacle to overcome: Getting the weapon models into the game via our existing weapon code files. Right now, I am struggling with this. I have found one tutorial that helped with importing the model, but as far as getting it into the game and parented to the hand of a player...no luck yet. If I can get one gun in, I can get them all in once I know the process or syntax.
(the tutorial was http://www.ut40k.planetunreal.gamespy.com/unreal-Dateien/ut3tuts/UT3_Weapon_tutorial_1.htm )

I have edited the Default properties > SkeletalMesh properties of my Weapon Class File (called RepulsorGun.UC) many times, trying different naming configurations. Right now I am using this:
Code:
    // Weapon SkeletalMesh
    Begin Object Name=FirstPersonMesh
        SkeletalMesh=SkeletalMesh'WP_Repulse.Mesh.Repulse'
        PhysicsAsset=None
        AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'WP_Repulse.Anims.Repulse_Anim'
        Materials(0)=Material'WP_Repulse.Materials.Repulse_MAT'
        Animations=MeshSequenceA
        Scale=1.1
        FOV=55.0
        bForceUpdateAttachmentsInTick=true
    End Object
Whereas:

• the name of my Weapon Package is "WP_Repulse.upk"
  • the name of my mesh (the name I imported it into the editor as) is "Repulse"
  • the name of my animation set is "Repulse_Anim"
  • the name of my Material is "Repulse_MAT"
I am very unsure what the SkeletalMesh syntax convention should be, how to name and use my animation sequence, and if that Material line is correct. When I make the game, I get warnings - no errors. I also get the same warnings for each of SkeletalMesh, Animations, and Materials.

• ObjectProperty Engine.SkeletalMeshComponent:Skeletalmesh: unresloved reference to 'Skeletalmesh'WP_Repulse.Mesh.Repulse''
  • Invalid Property value in defaults: 'Skeletalmesh'WP_Repulse.Mesh.Repulse''

What am I doing wrong?

Please help! I have been banging my head against the wall for days! *ow
Thank you so much!:D

PS- What do I name the socket for attaching the weapon to a hand? The bone is called "Bone_Weapon"...but the socket?

CiberX15

Oct 5, 2008
I think I had the same problem two days ago, the skeletal mesh syntax should look like this:

Code:
Mesh=SkeletalMesh'YourPack_Name.YourWeapon_Name'

I had this in the default properties though, here’s what mine looks like:

Code:
//==========================================================
// Uzie.
//==========================================================
class Uzie extends WeaponPickup
	Placeable;

defaultproperties
{
	Mesh=SkeletalMesh'My_Pack.Uzie_M-11'