Poll - All weapons fire bullets idea

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 weapons

• Would you prefer having only: All weapons firing bullets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UT3 is oky the way it is

Votes: 70 97.2%
  • Keep the actual weapons and add more firing bullets weapons!

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
So I'm supposed to read the poll and ignore the rest of this thread? Because the poll only states the obvious: Nobody wants bullet weapons and you are the only one going on about how bullets and reload-requiring weapons are so much better than "all these colorful projectiles".
I like colorful projectiles. Makes me instantly see what I have to deal with. That's why I play UT(200x/3) and not Counter-Strike or Battlefield or <insert other WW2 or anti-terrorist game>.

Last edited:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Seems like there are people who are not used to old-school arena shooters and when trying to play them like, say, Halo, they get annoyed by the slow-moving projectiles and discard everything but the sniper or the minigun/stinger as spammy.
Those people should realize that UT and games like it are not a flawed version of regular shooters but they work completely differently. Combat isn't even comparable to regular shooters. Trying to play it like one is inefficient and frustrating. Either get used to the gameplay, or leave it. Sounds cruel, but that's how it works.

Of course it's valid to create a mod for UT that works like a regular shooter but mods like that should be seen as an alternative not as a fix for the "broken" core gameplay.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
Seems like there are people who are not used to old-school arena shooters and when trying to play them like, say, Halo, they get annoyed by the slow-moving projectiles and discard everything but the sniper or the minigun/stinger as spammy.
Those people should realize that UT and games like it are not a flawed version of regular shooters but they work completely differently. Combat isn't even comparable to regular shooters. Trying to play it like one is inefficient and frustrating. Either get used to the gameplay, or leave it. Sounds cruel, but that's how it works.

Of course it's valid to create a mod for UT that works like a regular shooter but mods like that should be seen as an alternative not as a fix for the "broken" core gameplay.

Signed.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Or there is simply a 3rd option in the poll stating that it could be nice to have at least one more weapon just between the Enforcer & the Snipe because:

So I'm supposed to read the poll and ignore the rest of this thread? Because the poll only states the obvious: Nobody wants bullet weapons and you are the only one going on about how bullets and reload-requiring weapons are so much better than "all these colorful projectiles".
I like colorful projectiles. Makes me instantly see what I have to deal with. That's why I play UT(200x/3) and not Counter-Strike or Battlefield or <insert other WW2 or anti-terrorist game>.

NOBODY, even me, voted for the first option in the poll:
"Replace all the UT weapons by weapeons firing bullets" - 0%

The rocket is nice, the Flak is nice, the Link Gun is cool, the snipe is awesome, the enforcer feel weird and glitched for quick multiple burst shots, the redeemer is cool, the shock rifle looks ugly but is cool, the Avril is cool but weird too and the Bio Rifle is... a very ugly weapon with very cool mecanics & tactics.

I'm a Quake 3 player, but I do enjoy more realistic guns like SoF2, GoW, CS (but I hate CS) or Battlefield 2142, I'm probably not alone in this case.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
If you want more realistic weapons, then FFS don't play UT.

Man, you surely have weird brain mechanics.
hmm I'm playing for the word "action", UT3 is cool but real weapons mecanics works faster so it can get very intense when achieving a Godlike!

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
To summarize this thread:

DogPuke.gif

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
FFS

Who gives a **** about the other games, this is the game we play, not CoD4. Linkes to ther games are USELESS. We like this game, and your ****ty ideas aren't going to sway us.

If you can't understand that, then you're really stupid.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Hyrage, you just haven't been here for enough of these same discussions. This community knows it's niche, it's not about doing what's popular, this community is here because there are people who like UT.

We have talked endless amounts of trash about the kind of noobs who like realism, and it's simplicity. I'm sorry you haven't been around to see it. Some of us even may fancy it from time to time, but ultimately, we come back here for all the things not real about it.

I play a few different titles, but I only post at these forums. This is the only game I care enough about to do so for. Because of how it is now.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
  • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
That enough for you?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The 'unreal physics' is pretty much 90% of what makes the weapons fun.

Replacing the projectiles with 'bullets' will only succeed in making it look like all the other semi-realistic arcade fps's out there (ie : Gears of Wars / CoD4 / Halo ).

You could try making the physics of the weapons more 'realistic' (or less hit-scan dependent), but then you'd also have to re-design more than just the weapons and their damage/effects.
IMHO you'd also have to redesign the entire movement- and inventory-system as well as the maps themselves because those are part of what makes the standard weapons balanced!

The endresult probably is more like "Gears of War" in the Unreal-universe ... which does sound interesting.

It would be easier to design your own mod (like the guys from the Ballistic weapons- and ChaosUT have done), because the real problem with this modified setting that players will still expect the balance from the 'standard' game even though it would be a bad idea to do so. Such a setting would give you complete freedom to create the perfect balance for the kind of arsenal you want.

// ---
Tactics and teamplay already exist in this game even though you may not be able to see them.
They simply exist at a different level compared to 'realistic' games.

Reducing movement/gamespeed does have effects on the strategies and tactics available (it tends to punish players for 'bad' decisions), but it has no effect on teamplay if the players weren't willing to play as a team to begin with.

In fact I'd say that players of sufficient skill will find a way to either go 'lone wolf' regardless of what the 'rules' for any given gametype say.

Games that force team-based tactics without rewarding players for doing so tend to result in lots of complaints from those unwilling to play as a team. The Medic / Heavy -combo in TF2 for example can be a real pain in the behind to take down as a lone wolf (...), but for a team it's a piece of cake. I'm sure Valve has received a ton of complaints about that feature ...

Enforced team-play also results in a very crappy experience on-line because in reality almost everyone wants to be a hero and practicaly no one is willing to play a less glorious role.

Status
Not open for further replies.