UT3 VCTF-Satellite

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
vctfsatelliteprofileot8.png

Shot1
Shot2
Shot3

Idea inspired by John Wallin's art.
Private art gallery 1 -> 12th shot.

Changes in Version 2:

• Added bForceMipStreaming=True to all Mesh.
  • Changed screenshot texture group for UI TEXTUREGROUP.
  • Fixed manta super jump.
  • Removed Avril from front locker.
  • Removed all Avril ammo, placed one near the 50a.
  • Removed rocket ammo near 50a.
  • Removed some useless volume/path nodes.

Changes since beta:

• Moved Avril from starter WL for top and frontal WL.
  • Lifted Gameplay area.
  • Added better collisions.
  • Added ambient sounds.
  • Removed Turrets. (for being mostly useless)
  • Shortened jumppads for the Raptor.
  • Fixed player being able to hide behind Manta platform.
  • Fixed player being able to play around the side structure.
  • Lowered zkill, you can now fall and use the Raptor under the structure.
  • Changed BSP texture.
  • Changed Crates.
  • Modified terrain.
  • Removed useless collisions to optimize the level.
  • Changed fog.
  • Changed PP scene effect a bit.
  • Changed PathNodes layout to fix Bot getting stuck on base ramp.
  • Changed bottom "poll" texture.
  • Added other final details.
  • Changed music.

Download - FileFront - Version 2
Kantham.com

C:\Documents and Settings\*User*\My docs\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps
NOTE: If the directory doesn't exist, you'll have to create it manually.

Last edited:

AVP

Would you like a second opinion?
Aug 20, 2005
Canada
I'll have to check it out when I get home. Looks great by the way and I loved the beta. :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Much more believable visually. However, my other concerns are still present. How is the raptor of any use with so much avril crap in the base? All it takes is two missiles and it's curtains! There's a wealth of ammo for it but the thing's in a regenerating weapon locker anyway. Secondly, still no sniper up in the center to attempt to alleviate rampant avril spam in the base. Amped shock is a half-solution; would be better if you could headshot the avril users. Then the raptor could be used as an anti-sniper vehakal. That would be pr0. D:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah I know the Avril count is apparently too high. What would you recomend to remove? If I put the Avril too far, the map will be a manta spawn rape. And shock tape against Raptors is almost useless.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Yeah I know the Avril count is apparently too high. What would you recomend to remove? If I put the Avril too far, the map will be a manta spawn rape. And shock tape against Raptors is almost useless.
Dunno. Maybe this is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I went godlike on the bots within two minutes of the game starting by manta raeping in them in the base, so the avrils are definitely a necessity. Something that's great against mantas but not so great against raptors would probably be ideal. The thing that probably fits that the best is a scorpion, but I dunno how that fits in your design. There isn't really a weapon that fits that description, unfortunately.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Just take out the ammo pickups or put the ammo in a more out of reach spot- seperate the extra ammo from the avril pickup itself.

This map is really small for something like mantas, if you ask me. This might sound silly but you might consider vipers instead for one reason: They are narrow and arent as maneuverable, so it's hard to get double-multi-mega kills by running people over. Or you could have the ramps not quite as steep and use scorpions and/or scavengers. I think those would be pretty fun here. Scavengers would work well because they can jump and crouch and stuff so they can still go places like the parts that require jump pads on foot.

This map kind of reminds me of Cradle from goldeneye- I got that feeling when I fell off and saw the inside out dome on the ground. Really nice.

Last edited:

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Map plays good, though i myself find theres a lacking of vehicles, but it might just be the bots faults for that.

Though having a scorpion next to the manta would be pretty cool., the walkways are perfect for them.

Harmatia

Feb 8, 2008
Ouch-- I guess I see where you got the "too much Avril" complex that seriously hurt the gameplay on the map.

This wasn't vehicle (invisible font) capture the flag(/invisible font), its capture the flag with vehicles. That's why it was fun, and not crap like many other vctf maps.

You could effectively use the vehicles for support, you could raise hell in the middle of the map... but you couldn't go full offensive against the enemy for long (no camping)... just long enough to help an ally get a flag cap.

The solution that I think the poster above was looking for was not being able to use avril's indefinitely to take out vehicles. I disagree, but a better solution for that than what you tried would be to separate avrils from the lockers, and to place one on each side on the way out of your base. No needless running to the center locker unless you want a shock (which is just annoying). Now people would only get to attack vehicles a couple of times on their way to enemy base (as they'd run out of ammo). As for additional ammo, you could place it where the rocket ammo is at base.

While I mention that possible 'solution', I think that it worked best right in the lockers. Using a vehicle meant you were constantly under threat of attack-- you had to play it smart and use it skillfully-- no vehicle spam. It's also the way that works best with bots. While I mentioned several other issues on the Epic forums, this is the most serious, as the new version simply no longer works with bots, and has inferior, imho, gameplay overall as a result of your adjustments to the avrils.

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I really like this map a lot. It runs great, plays great with Bots. I just downloaded and played it for the first time today. I couldn't resist taking a swan dive off the edge first thing just to see the effect---SPLAT !!

Overall, nice work.

Last edited: