Arma 3 Alpha available on Steam for $30, improves movement

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Personally it seems like an ultra-steep price for an unfinished product (even their finished products have plenty of bugs), but Dslyecxi has already put together a video showing off the basic moving and shooting mechanics, which are a vast improvement over Arma 2.

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=G8vrbzNYEwM#t=428s[/M]

They've added a "tactical speed" to iron sight movement, which functions similarly to INF's jogging during IS.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
It's nice and looks fantastic. It plays well, although over complicated controls that I can't customize the way it would feel natural to me, I need to use their forced clumsy ways.

But compared to previous games is plays smoother, but not yet fully optimized.

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
Psychomorph, is it true that is has cone of fire instead of freeaim? What about bullet penetration? Did they fix it finally or it's still as silly as Arma2/VBS2?

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
well as far as i know you have always been able to turn free aim off in arma but there is no conefire like in cod. There is a bit of conefire like you would have in real weapons but you dont notice that in short distances.

BTH

Dickcheese Faggot
Nov 12, 2005
Spain
The Alpha is $0. It's called Arma3Alpha Lite. When you buy the $30 (€25) version, you are buying the Alpha, the Beta and the full game. Which is pretty cheap actually.
The movement and weapon handling have been greatly improved. The menus and controls haven't changed, which means you still have a million keys and combinations to use features which you might find useless.
Cqb is now playable but no way as good as R6, Ghost Recon or Inf. Pistol combat is now usable (it was just ornamental in previous Arma games, IMO).
You can adjust freeaim to your will, and as tomcat ha said, there is some conefire, but less than in CoD, and even less than in Arma 2. There is no bullet penetration, which can be a real pain like in all games. Cover and concealment work correctly, and so does smoke and using the correct stance.
AI is pretty good at flanking. Completing a coop mission objective requires planning, since it's almost impossible to complete them running and gunning.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I really wish there were smaller scale, more CQB-friendly missions available for the Arma games. I've seen some great 16-man coop videos from Arma 3, but most of the time, my girlfriend and I just feel like teaming up with 1-2 other people, if that, and clearing out a base or two of tangos. Training with a glorified modern war re-renactment group and showing up at an apointed time for multi-hour missions which involve 5-10 minutes at a time of walking through fields and mountain passes doesn't exactly suit my lifestyle these days.

Unfortunately, the only game which does seem to suit the smaller scale I'm looking for is still Rainbow Six Vegas 2, which leaves a lot to be desired.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
The Game feels much smoother than ARMA2, And its still in alpha, so stuff like bullet penetration might be added in, There is also cool things like being able to adjust your stances in incremental ways.

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
OK, so it seems it's gonna be a decent project. What about actual modern weaponry? Can you use the REAL guns or you are forced only to use those pseudo science-fiction weapons?

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
The game is boring because it has even less structures and buildings than Arma 2. It needs some Infiltration, Crysis 1, Crysis 2, True Combat, Urban Terror type maps. There's so much already made it could draw on. But what do we get? A bunch of empty land. The producers have absolutely no imagination and really don't seem to care much for their work. I get the feeling the company is mostly just suits looking for money. They seem to want to leave all the real work to the modders.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Nah, content will come along, this is just a small island for testing, it's Alpha software. But I find the fundamental mechanics of moving and shooting boring and still clunky to manage/control. This cannot be blamed on the Alpha status, because this will never improve, it's BIS we talkin' about here.

I can remember now why I stood away from ArmA games for so long. I only hope that the final full game will be good enough in a year, and community to fix it in two years.
In three years, the game may become actually good. BISiness as usual.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Absolutely agree about the movement. Still WAY too clunky. It doesn't feel natural, more like a clunky robot, and too many keys to do it. You still can't even do a small jump. Bohemia is just a bunch of suits who just DO NOT GET IT.

The thing that really gets me though is the sights and your eye distance from them. As in too much distance. Has to do with their FOV I see, but that seems screwed up as well. It's the same as usual. Here's a new game that will be in forever Alpha status! Modders, please come and save us if you can! Were too lazy to fix it ourselves and just want the money.

I've never seen devs ( well, except maybe the peeps that made Crysis 3 ), care so little about their product.

Last edited: