Movers & Vehicles

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

{MåçE}

ma$e is back!!??
Mar 6, 2004
im a noob at mapping..i dont map much in 2k4.. but i did a lot in UT. could you just make it a triggered mover (not a bumpopen mover).. then in the triggers properties, isnt there something like "triggered classes"? and switch that to w/e teh vehicle class is. onsvehicles or something i think. im not exactly sure though, so dont take my word for it

Paladin

Where do I mount the silencer?
Jan 4, 2000
QBVille
www.quirkybastards.net
I'm having the same problem. I wish I had an answer, but I'm still looking for one too. Plus, I've had a problem with the movers not colliding properly with the vehicles. From what I can tell, if the mover speed is faster than the vehicle's maximum speed, the mover will pass through the vehicle, leaving it behind. And when the lift returns, despite having it set to crush on encroach and a high enough damage to destroy any vehicle, the mover simply pushes the vehicle out of the way...usually making it hang on surrounding architectural static meshes.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
-- place a Trigger in the middle of your Lift Mover
-- Trigger Event = Mover Tag
-- TriggerType = TT_ClassProximity
-- Trigger ClassProximityType = Onslaught.ONSVehicle (or whatever vehicle type you need for your map)
-- set Mover DelayTime to 0.5 to 1.0 sec (gives the vehicle time to get fully on the lift)

this should get you started, at least. i tested it with an Onslaught tank and it works, subject to the caveats below.

NOTES: vehicles and Movers interact oddly. unless the vehicle is occupied and has some velocity (even really small), the vehicle will not interact with the Mover, perhaps due to some aspect of the Karma coding. so vehicle lifts will be unreliable at best unless some workaround is developed.

a similar problem affects XMP vehicles. i wrote a small scripted actor for XMP maps that wakes up the karma of unoccupied vehicles when a mover is activated -- something similar might work for UT2K4 vehicles as well. if you're inclined to scripting, look in the classes for the KWake() function, see if & how it's used. if it's in there, you might be able to use it as i did in the XMP fix. be sure to test it thoroughly for netplay!

also note that unlike XMP, in UT2K4 you apparently can't base a VehicleFactory on a Mover, so vehicle spawn points will have to be placed elsewhere than a Mover/lift.

Paladin

Where do I mount the silencer?
Jan 4, 2000
QBVille
www.quirkybastards.net
Chip, I can't tell if you answered my mover collision question or not, and I'm at work ATM and can't test it...

"unless the vehicle is occupied and has some velocity (even really small), the vehicle will not interact with the Mover, perhaps due to some aspect of the Karma coding"

If I drive a vehicle onto a mover and if I keep the vehicle in motion even slightly, it will interact correctly with the mover? Is that lack of vehicle motion the reason my vehicles seem to get left behind by fast-moving movers? I have a moving horizontal platform (lift) to move people and vehicles from one platform to another. People work fine, vehicles get dropped off the back as the mover glides up to full speed.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
Paladin: by "interact" i mean the vehicle responds to the mover, rather than just having the mover pass right through it. with a vertical lift, i had to have a small velocity to the vehicle or it wouldn't get lifted vertically (basically i was responding to the original post of this thread). i could also activate the mover while shooting the vehicle and the vehicle would respond to the mover -- shooting a vehicle wakes up its karma code.

i haven't tested horizontal movement, but would assume the same conditions apply, with the added problem that there seems to be some inertia and friction coded into the vehicles that may be a prob -- in my tests the inertial effects looked rather inaccurate, typical for many game vehicles.

Last edited: