StarCraft II

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Like Kantham once put it, building the same card castle over and over again. So lame.
People react differently. Try different strats. The game is only as linear as you want it to be.

Yeah. Honestly, I like Stacraft 2. But personally, I don't enjoy playing it all that much. Almost anything below diamond league is not to bother with. My point is, SC2 is a game made for pro's, you need to know the exact counters and have the right timming/builds for everything and be aware of what your enemy is planning at all times. SC2 is that much of a big deal, people are still even learning new things in the game.

Gold and below is where my card castle example fits right in.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Yeah. Honestly, I like Stacraft 2. But personally, I don't enjoy playing it all that much. Almost anything below diamond league is not to bother with. My point is, SC2 is a game made for pro's, you need to know the exact counters and have the right timming/builds for everything and be aware of what your enemy is planning at all times. SC2 is that much of a big deal, people are still even learning new things in the game.

Gold and below is where my card castle example fits right in.

That is wrong. People who are bad at StarCraft can still have a ton of fun playing it. All of my friends are pretty bad, but they still like to play it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
That (my post you said is wrong) is right, since my post is replying to quotes and you weren't paying attention or my point wasn't clear enough. I did not say the game wasn't fun for bad players, I'm saying the game is build for very talented and experienced players who went at "Starcraft School" and the whole benifits of the games and excitement around it is from the good players.

Any retards can Zerg cheap rush like in that "John Connor" video or just go mass marines/Marrau and own bad/average players.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
That (my post you said is wrong) is right, since my post is replying to quotes and you weren't paying attention or my point wasn't clear enough. I did not say the game wasn't fun for bad players, I'm saying the game is build for very talented and experienced players who went at "Starcraft School" and the whole benifits of the games and excitement around it is from the good players.

Any retards can Zerg cheap rush like in that "John Connor" video or just go mass marines/Marrau and own bad/average players.

Ah ok, your point wasn't clear, or maybe I just skimmed your post a little too quickly.

I must comment on your last point though. For some people, StarCraft is not as much about winning consistently, as it is simply about having fun building huge armies and then clash. I don't know, just seems a little odd to call them retards ;)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'm thinking too many people are afraid of doing crazy builds unless their names are TLO.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009

Do you actually play the game or do you just post about it?
I play random and I hardly use the same strat multiple times. I change my build every game. If I see mass rines, I go hellions. If I see mutas, I go phoenix. If I see voids, I go vikes. And honestly who doesn't love to play mass phoenix micro? :rolleyes:

I play gold and silver and yet I never seem to get bored. I get cheesed on occasion, but for every cheeser who gets me I catch 1 and whoop his ass.

Fun Fact:
Mass hellions works really damn well against zerg players. I just won a game with that.

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Been rocking a new build I came up with today :D its boosted me into diamond HEHE I'm so excited
9421-1.png

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Fun Fact:
Mass hellions works really damn well against zerg players. I just won a game with that.

Surprisingly, it is often the 'bad builds' that work in the lower leagues. If you do a straightforward, stable MMM push, almost every player you encounter has seen it before, probably knows how to scout for it and knows the counter to it.

When you do something retarded like build nothing but sentries, you might just win, simply because most non-top-diamond players aren't good enough at improvising against builds or armies they haven't seen before. It's the single reason why hardcore static defense into carriers/BC's/Broods works - lower level players don't have the game sense to see it coming or react in time.

My example: mass Archon. It takes a pretty passive opponent to even get to that point, but I have yet to meet someone with an adequate response once I have it out. It just seems that no one ever gets Archons used against them so you'll see players throwing everything from Tanks to Vikings to Zerglings at them. Hell, other than Ghosts I don't even know what I would field against them myself, probably something like Immortal+Zealot.

@Kantham: I have the feeling that your point applies to any game which doesn't inhibit player skill. The balance and importance of certain aspects of gameplay simply shift between skill levels. Take Battlefield games for instance.

Newb BF2 servers are mostly about which team can spam grenades the best. Go one 'tier' up and you've got players who know where the spam hotspots are and avoid them, flank the spammers, etc. Matches, instead, are decided by who has the best tank driver.
Another tier up and teamwork between commander, engineers and tank/chopper pilots becomes the deciding factor.
Yet another tier up, and grenade spam isn't even a factor anymore. Instead, it's a about tight squad work, efficient healing and map control.
Etc.

Any game that isn't very shallow 'suffers' from this effect.

In SC2 it manifests itself something like such:
- Newb level: Matches are decided by who has read a build order on the internet and who hasn't. Proxy 2 gate >> newb improvising.
- Newb+ level: People start learning to actually macro past their initial 6pool or 2rax. Cheese defense is what decides these games.
- Intermediate: Cheese loses its effectiveness because people know how to scout and counter. Basic BO counters come into play, this is basically the first time you'd encounter a 13pool or FFE. Some focus on unit counters and micro, but not much.

Etc.

Only at the highest levels will you get the full sense of SC2's gameplay, but that doesn't mean that any level below that sucks.

Last edited:

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Oh god I just played with my freind who's basically "meh" at the game. We are in 2v2 bronze leauge and I now I know why people are getting annoyed.

5 games in a row have been cheese. Every game that isn't cheese is MMM. MMM. MMM. MMM. MMM.

So ****ing annoying.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Yet you laugh at people who didn't defend against a proxy hatchery + spine crawlers.

That's different. They didn't even scout their own base.

:lol:

I'm not talking about photon cheese. I'm talking about 6pool, zeal rush, 7roach, proxy rines cheese. Me and my freind are just going to pull my 2v2 cheese build I came up with until we get out of bronze.

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Nice!

And please, do share with the class. I'm a Zerg player, and I'm always looking for new strats.

hmmm I suppose I can share my secret

just don't spread it around :p

I dont have it all written down well but here's what I do.

10 - Overlord
10 - Spawnpool
keep building drones - I use the lava from my inject for lings

when pool is half way build extractor
I built the queen as soon as the pools done.
when the extractor is finished I mine gas with 3 dones UNTIL i have 100 gas where I then take one off to mine mins and I upgrade speed lings.

when I have 16-18 drones I pump out lings with all my lava

I build my baneling nest with the following 50 gas

I attack at about the 6:30 - 7:00 mark depending on the race of my opponent.

So that's what I have been doing recently. It works against fast mass roach too by the way.

this build is brought to you by Bazzwano :D

PS add me this is my North America account: Bazzwano - 797

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Sounds like a decent build against zerg opponents, though generally a bad idea against protoss and terran, since it'll basically turn into a baneling bust, something I'm not a fan of.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Yeah. Banelings are only good against massive amounts of marines. Everything else can take like 4 and still live.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
well a few banelings owns the zealots at the ramp then my lings run in and clear everything else out. the evidence is in the wins im having.. works perfectly.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Yeah that does work. Zerglings counter stalkers easily and 2 banes will kill a few zealots in close proximity.