15 Years of Unreal!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
One of the most immersive game worlds.

Word. One of the many things why I find this game much superior to anything with "Tournament" written on it. Substance!
No enemy introduction in gaming so far proven better than the first Skaarj battle, at least from what I've played.

Last edited:

Razorjack

Lone Walker
Dec 18, 2008
The Netherlands
15 years... oh the memories. The legacy lives on.

It's been far too long since my last playthrough, at least 10 years I'd guess, right before the release of Unreal 2. Maybe time to dust off the old big box and have another go :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
are you saying Unreal Tournament wasn't a great game?
It could have been a fun game, but was it truly great or innovative? Not really, or at least not in many things compared to what Unreal already has done. Unreal had bots already, only botpack was meant to have more refined bots, ones that you can order in the team games.
And he's talking about the "substance". I would use different words but he means the same thing, it was just much more consistent/decent. I guess it takes time to appreciate though but the change is pretty apparent for anyone trying UT after Unreal. The network play might have been sloppy initally with Unreal's case, but it improved over time with patches. But that's not what it's really about.
Everything was made more simpler in UT as well, there's no inventory that you can select/activate anymore, everything went back to the quake style auto activate (though by default many items in deathmatch in Unreal did autoactivate, for the balance), some weapons have been simplified or their damage boosted up primarily to compensate for the dial up connections.
UDamage aka Damage Amplifier was also a ripoff of Quad Damage from Quake, in contrast Unreal had somewhat original item called energy amplifier which only amplified damage on energy based weapons and nothing else. (and it wasn't a floating "magic" symbol, instead it was a plausible looking device similar to car battery)

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008

Did I say it was bad? I simply said I found it overall inferior to the original creature :p
They're of course two completely different things even if Unreal had its own decent MP modes but I always wished they continued the original series instead of going into the tourney route.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Everything was made more simpler in UT as well, there's no inventory that you can select/activate anymore, everything went back to the quake style auto activate (though by default many items in deathmatch in Unreal did autoactivate, for the balance), some weapons have been simplified or their damage boosted up primarily to compensate for the dial up connections.
UDamage aka Damage Amplifier was also a ripoff of Quad Damage from Quake, in contrast Unreal had somewhat original item called energy amplifier which only amplified damage on energy based weapons and nothing else. (and it wasn't a floating "magic" symbol, instead it was a plausible looking device similar to car battery)

I don't understand.

you seem to be bashing UT for being what UT was supposed to be; an arena shooter.
it wasn't supposed to be an adventure game with a fleshy backstory, deep customization, rich characters, or plot twists. it was obviously modeled after the success of Quake and I think most people would agree that it surpassed Quake in every aspect.

Unreal and UT are 2 very different games.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe

Unreal and Unreal Tournament are two entirely different games.

To be more precise, UT is Unreal player versus player MP game improved, while Unreal is mainly an immersive adventure exploration survival single player game with UT-ish gameplay.

It is a bit like if you split Half-Life single player and multi player into two standalone games and try to compare them. There is no winner, but the single player portion is a blast.

Unreal is the definition of the awesomeness of old school single player first person gaming. Unreal made me love games, and games like this are the sole reason I still call myself gamer these days.

The only game that took the throne position over Unreal is Thief for me. Thief is a game from another world. Art made into game.

...aaanyway. The more time passes by, the harder it is to enjoy such games (to wrap your head around the outdated aesthetics and such), but if you can learn to enjoy it, you may learn what was given up for mass appeal these days.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I don't understand.

you seem to be bashing UT for being what UT was supposed to be; an arena shooter.
it wasn't supposed to be an adventure game with a fleshy backstory, deep customization, rich characters, or plot twists. it was obviously modeled after the success of Quake and I think most people would agree that it surpassed Quake in every aspect.

Unreal and UT are 2 very different games.
I think you don't know what UT was supposed to be...even originally there was meant to be some real inventory in there. But that isn't it only. They also managed to make a bit of mess in their map descriptions in the tournament ladder and even counterspeak some things from Unreal which suddenly didn't make sense anymore. For example an environment that was clearly meant/planned to be on the original Unreal planet is suddenly elsewhere and was built by one of the competitors and other location supposedly being on Earth even if not really possible.
In the end it was just that there were suddenly new people working on the project/deciding about that stuff and paid no attention to continuity or whatsoever. Yes it was stated that the story won't really matter, but at least they should have watched out for stuff like that even if you turn the shit into a spinoff game.
And Unreal is not "adventure game with fleshy backstory with rich characters and plot twists". In fact even though backstory for the prisoner was planned they left it out for player imagination in the end and the story was told in through logs and other messages you find, but none of them related to your character, which I guess makes it kinda unique experience because you could be anyone. There are no traditional story twists either in that sense. The expansion pack, RtNP rectified this though and Unreal PSX(unreleased) had you play as a bounty hunter instead with already established identitity and there was character interaction as well, but that is a different story/game/expansion pack. The original was still very different in the end and more subtle and relied on the exploration/atmosphere more while still being more or less a traditional shooter. In fact one could say that if they stayed to the original plan/ideas the game would have been overly complex.
As hard as it may be to believe there was even a closeup melee attack implemented in some of the early versions of Unreal when it was still under developement. All of the weapons had one when ran out of ammo while some had it possible from get go (automag pistol-whip). I think such stuff wasn't implemented in fps games until much later and I bet many people would credit Halo for having this kind of stuff first, lol.
(yet the way modern FPS games implement that kind of stuff is so fucking boring)
I guess though that the point of the original Unreal remained the same still, it was a violent first person shooter like Quake and perhaps reminded it in looks/style but had all kind of stuff that Quake couldn't do/dream off and was more like the Build engine stuff while having atmosphere similar to Heretic etc. I guess the best of both worlds while still being original. And of course, the creatures had some real personalities for a change too, compared to how it was usually made before.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
227, extreme end textures, a few mods and Unreal has a new lease. Anyone who thinks Unreal is boring is just jaded by modern titles. I love new games, but all but a few ask you to take your time and soak it up. Unreal does that still for me and yes, it is a lot of nostalgia talking here, but there is nothing wrong with that, so long as it doesn't completely cloud one's judgement.

A classic that still holds its own.