Most Awesome Moment in Games?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
It has been some time since my last useless thread, and I do have a post count to fix, so without further ado:

What, in your personal opinion, was the most awe inspiring moment in a game?

For me it happened soon after I first played Unreal Tournament, running around in Deck 16 spamming away with the FlaK Cannon, when suddenly this wall of white rushed towards me and everyone around me instantly turned into fourty foot long skidmarks, leaving me with an "omg wtf was that!?" look on my face.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
so awesome

Super Metroid, the fight against Mother Brain.
Although meeting Andrew Ryan in Bioshock was exceedingly awesome.
And then there's the credit song in Portal.

This is a feckin' hard decision.

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
In Crysis, when you're driving the tank and you see the mountain in the distance fall apart.
Maybe not the most awesome moment, but damn it was epic. I forgot about the fight while watching it. :eek:

Other than that, the most awesome moment was definitely the first time I fought the Cyberdemon in Doom.
The level started, I pushed some of the buttons in the start area and started to explore the rooms.
I fired off the weapon I was holding and the Cyberdemon let out that terrifying roar. I couldn't move from the spot for several minutes. :p

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The first Skaarj appearance in Unreal's Rrajigar Mine.
When the lights went out one by one was my second choice.

Third choice was when my brother-in-law and I were playing ReaperBot for the first time. We were getting slaughtered (absolute DM n00bs at that time) and we finally managed to pin it down in a corner of Q1DM6. It was a bit like that scene in Predator where the crew get spooked and empty their magazines into some empty jungle. We fired everything we had (and couldn't see what was happening because of all the explosions) and didn't realise that we had (finally) killed the bot. Meanwhile, Mr. ReaperBot has respawned, come back round and shot us in the back. :(

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
^ Yeah, I had tons of fun with the reaperbot. There was an updated version called "the warbot". Reaper was pretty dumb, but hey it was the early stages of botdom =)

I had many fun games on the fragtown maps. Lots of rocket launchers and quad damage power-ups.

Unreal opening sequence was fantastic. Same for the first time entering Nyleve, Spirevillage, Skytown, and the end sequence.

The skaarj scene in Rrajigar was great indeed!

Quake 3 arena: First time I loaded dm7, temple of retribution.

Both UT and Q3 had their fair share of many enjoyable custom maps, so many fond memories heh :)

Elite force: Sneaking around the scavenger ship: especially the klingon section.

Half life: The intro sequence, the experience gone wrong, the alien invasion. The xen part wasn't all that fun, though.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Super Metroid, the fight against Mother Brain.

Nah for Super Metroid it's definitely either right after you get an awesome power up to test out or that one 4 eyed red lizard monster that... well don't wanna give anything away. :p

I can't really think of any personal favs though, I guess games don't really give me that experience. Maybe just a couple times like the Scarab fights in Halo 3 for the first time.

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Call of Duty 4 - Cobra Down Mission

It was epic enough having to rescue the downed pilot, but when the nuke went off as you're flying away, HOLY CRAP. :eek:

Probably the most epic explosion in any video game, and one of the most epic moments in general. It sent chills throughout my body, and I had experienced gaming bliss. :D

But that wasn't all, in the next mission you got to experience your last few breaths after the nuke. The post-nuke atmosphere was incredible, and seeing that building in the background disintegrate was OMG worthy. Then you start to fumble about and fall to the ground, everything fades to white, and you hear your heart stop. :( What a way to end the first act of the game.

Call of Duty 4 - "All Ghillied Up"

Just one of the coolest missions ever. Amazing atmosphere and gameplay. MacMillan was a GREAT point man. Note how well the ghillie suit actually blends in with the environment.

Call of Duty 4 - Final Mission

Oh man, you and your fellow soldiers are all dying on the ground, and when the main baddy gets distracted, Captain price does that slow motion slide of the gun across the pavement to you. It was so cinematic. You pull the slide back, and pump 3 bullets into each of the enemies skulls, while still in slow motion of course. Then help arrives, and you see them pounding on Captain Price's chest, but it's hopeless. He is dead. :(

Metal Gear Solid series - Pretty much everything can count as an awesome moment. Very emotional games, especially MGS3. The ending to that just blew me away. I will be buying a PS3 solely for MGS4, and from the videos I've seen so far, it will be the best $400 I've ever spent. I'm fairly certain it just might be the best game ever created. :)

HL2 - Episode 2 ending

I won't go into detail but you guys know what i'm talking about. My eyes actually watered a bit here, and I never even knew that I was capable of emotion. ;)

There are too many, and I can't pick just one. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but the above are what come to my mind at the moment.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
(1) Lost Planet and fighting some of the big bugs,
(2) Mike Tyson: Punchout (NES), where that raging bull guy runs toward you and you almost poo your pants trying to avoid his uppercuts

Starwares: Force Unleashed will add another one, when you stand there and pull down that HUGE ship from the sky and watch it crash and slide towards you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBiYpD3SDc

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Metal Gear Solid series - Pretty much everything can count as an awesome moment. Very emotional games, especially MGS3. The ending to that just blew me away. I will be buying a PS3 solely for MGS4, and from the videos I've seen so far, it will be the best $400 I've ever spent. I'm fairly certain it just might be the best game ever created. :)

HL2 - Episode 2 ending

I won't go into detail but you guys know what i'm talking about. My eyes actually watered a bit here, and I never even knew that I was capable of emotion. ;)

I hope you're joking on those. :lol: ;)

Starwares: Force Unleashed will add another one, when you stand there and pull down that HUGE ship from the sky and watch is crash and slide towards you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBiYpD3SDc

If it's not cool on vid why would it be cool in game? :p

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
In joint ops online I once accidentally managed to board an enemy blackhawk. Half about a minute into the journey I realized my mistake and quickly knifed the two passengers and the pilot before jumping into the flight seat in mid air an then flying back to our teams closest base with a stolen blackhawk.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I hope you're joking on those. :lol: ;)

No, why would I be?

Metal Gear Solid requires no explanation but as for Ep2-

Many people said they were spoiled by Eli's death prior to the games release, hence it had no impact on them. I had absolutely no clue that they were going to kill him off, it just came out of nowhere and I was shocked. HL2 has very realistic, and lovable characters. Between the exceptional facial expressions and professional voice acting, they really grow on you. Eli was a cool guy, very friendly and down to earth. And when does the Half-Life series ever kill off main characters? I think this was a first for the series. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
The first time I used "Luminaire" and "Omnislash" are up there on my list, from back when I was a Squaresoft nut. Also that first day when the Orange Box was unlocked and I finally got to the cake at the end of the 19th test chamber...no need to say it.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I've been playing games too long to begin to remember all of the most awesome moments, but some of the more recent experiences with games I've had that I'd consider awesome.
  • COD4 - pretty much all the scenes that have been mentioned above. I'll also mention the one that puts you in the first person view of a captive and the very first mission on the boat. That game had more "wow" moments packed into it than just about any ten other games combined.
  • Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance - one mission in the game expands the battlefield after the first objective is complete (as they all do), only this time you find yourself surrounded by as many as seven different high tech bases and a crap load of experimental units.
  • Serious Sam (any) - I can't count how many times this series has surprised me. Usually it's because just when you've completed one epic end-all-be-all battle, you're tossed into another that positively dwarfs the one you just completed. But there are also a number of inspired moments such as fighting hordes in a rotating barrel shaped room, bouncing floor to ceiling fighting headless bombers, being rocketed back and forth across the room fighting legions of baddies. Also of note is the hidden movie set room in which you can view a miniature scale model of you (Sam) fighting the end boss from the last game (don't shoot your miniature self or you also die!)
  • Painkiller - probably for the same reasons as Serious Sam, but on a smaller scale - meaning that the battles were not quite as epic. There are loads of awesome moments in here though, like fighting your way into the basement of a lunatic asylum (electric chair!) and just about any of the mind-numbingly immense boss fights. None quite so epic though as fighting Satan amidst battlefields frozen in time.